View Full Version : Experience of this phone under OS-X

tonemcd
11-03-2003, 10:31 PM
Bit early I suppose, but has anyone any experience of this phone under OS-X?

I want to get a new phone, either this one or a Nokia 7650 or an SE P800, but the most important thing for me is how it works with OS-X.

I've not had much success with a friends 7650 and my OS-X machine - the AddressBook application on OS-X doesn't link up with his phone (to send SMS for example).

Can anyone share their experiences?

JyriK
11-03-2003, 10:40 PM
As the 7650 is about the same as 3650, look into these:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4738
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8664

pji
12-03-2003, 12:58 AM

Not too early. Had mine for week and a half now.

I want to get a new phone, either this one or a Nokia 7650 or an SE P800, but the most important thing for me is how it works with OS-X.

Well, the 3650 and 7650 should work the same. And even though the T68i etc work well with X, the P800 will not as its using Symbian. Have a look at the Apple forums to see all the unhappy P800 owners...[/quote]

I've not had much success with a friends 7650 and my OS-X machine - the AddressBook application on OS-X doesn't link up with his phone (to send SMS for example).

Well, here are my experiences so far. I have a PowerBook running 10.2.4 and am using a Digicom USB adaptor. First, Bluetooth was easy. Just plugged it in and could use the BT file transfer software right away. I just drop the file onto the icon in the dock and it transfers in seconds.

Had no luck getting the address book to work. It can see the phone and pairs but thats as far as it goes. I have heard some people have had success with the 7650 (Apple forums) but so far I have heard of no-one having any luck with the 3650. I guess that as the 3650 will work in the US, we should hear a lot more about using it with Macs. I believe the 7650 is only dual-band and so was not released in the US. Hopefully, as more Mac users get the 3650 something will happen.

Anyway, I have had success using VPC and Win2000 with the Nokia PC Suite. I can back up the phone etc as needed.

I'm happy for now. Hopefully there will be some new stuff in a few months once the 3650 has been out for a while. PM me if you have any questions..

Paul

tonemcd
13-03-2003, 11:14 AM

Well, the 3650 and 7650 should work the same. And even though the T68i etc work well with X, the P800 will not as its using Symbian. Have a look at the Apple forums to see all the unhappy P800 owners...

I asked on the p800 forum and someone reported that although iSync doesn't work, everything else works fine :-? I'm mightily confused by all this.

Well, here are my experiences so far. I have a PowerBook running 10.2.4 and am using a Digicom USB adaptor. First, Bluetooth was easy. Just plugged it in and could use the BT file transfer software right away. I just drop the file onto the icon in the dock and it transfers in seconds.

Had no luck getting the address book to work. It can see the phone and pairs but thats as far as it goes. I have heard some people have had success with the 7650 (Apple forums) but so far I have heard of no-one having any luck with the 3650. I guess that as the 3650 will work in the US, we should hear a lot more about using it with Macs. I believe the 7650 is only dual-band and so was not released in the US. Hopefully, as more Mac users get the 3650 something will happen.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately AddressBook is what I really want to use. Which Apple forums are you referring to?

Anyway, I have had success using VPC and Win2000 with the Nokia PC Suite. I can back up the phone etc as needed.

I'm happy for now. Hopefully there will be some new stuff in a few months once the 3650 has been out for a while. PM me if you have any questions..

Paul

It seems bizarre that you have to go through VPC and Win2000 to communicate with the phone. I wonder, the 3650 is the yoof market phone, and you can imagine a lot of 'media' types getting one too - and lots of them use Macs. Could it be that we might get Nokia software running on the Mac? ;) - we can but dream....

many thanks for your thoughts.
tone.