View Full Version : Brand new 3650 won't start up . . .

11-03-2003, 10:28 PM
I just got a 3650 ver. 2.5 and I've charged the battery, and when I turn it on, it just sits at the "Enter Time" Screen, and the key's won't do anything.

If I take the SIM card (which just came out of a Nokia 8390 so I know it works), but if I take the SIM card out, the keys and the phone works fine. I can get to my firmware by pressing *#0000# and it is
V 2.5
13-02-2003
NHL-8

It is supposed to be new but can't get it to go past the set time screen.

Does anyone know the key sequence for a hard reset on this Nokia 3650, or have any idea what I can do to get this phone to work???

Thanks,
Todd Wess

12-03-2003, 02:40 AM
Try your other's SIM card... they say that these camera phone sometimes dont work on old SIM card.

toddwess
12-03-2003, 02:59 AM
A friend of mine has T-Mobile with a SIM Card that is only a month old. Did the exact same thing. No change.

What next, you think?

Thanks,
Todd

Seremify
12-03-2003, 11:50 AM
try borrowing a mate's sim; setting the phone up, and then putting your own sim in?

toddwess
12-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Tried that already. With four different SIM's now, the phone never gets past the "Enter Time" screen.

The keys won't let me change the time, and the LCD Screen, and blue lights on keypad never shut off. I left it sit for 2 hours to see if that would help, and the lights were all still on.

This is all the phone will do. I can't even enter in *#7370# to try and reset it.

Where does one get a Nokia serviced here in the US????

JyriK
12-03-2003, 02:07 PM
Where does one get a Nokia serviced here in the US????
Try looking from http://www.nokiausa.com/support/repair/1,1238,,00.html

toddwess
12-03-2003, 02:22 PM
Well, I just used this Nokia service link that jyrik posted, and they said they will fix the phone.

I just have to ship it to Melbourne Fla, and the turn around time is about 5 business days.

They also said that even though I bought the phone on eBay, it is still covered by the Nokia Warranty.

Whew!!

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

Frenchie746
12-03-2003, 02:50 PM
thats good to hear :D

willbrady
12-03-2003, 02:53 PM
Ouch :(

Not a good start to a long and happy relationship!

Good luck!

Will.

12-03-2003, 10:22 PM
The same exact thing happened to mine! I just sent it back to the dude I bought it from and demanded a new one. Let us know what happens from the repair and how much it costs

13-03-2003, 03:00 AM
it's the sim these phones on ebay aren't set to work with tmobile in the us. I have mine on cingular and it works really well. If i use my tmobile sim it locks up. I guess I can send it to Nokia but I use Cingular more anyhow so it doesn't matter. goodluck

toddwess
13-03-2003, 03:03 AM
Okay, I am close to tears. This is the second post I have seen saying that T-Mobile doesn't work with these phones. I'll have to wait and see what Nokia says.

Boo Hoo!!! Did I just waste $500 USD on this phone?????

JyriK
13-03-2003, 02:21 PM
Id say its the 1.xx firmware. It has bugs and there are some nonstandard SIMs that might not work with it.
Get the firmware upgraded. It might solve the problem. FW v.2.50 is the "official" release.

amigappc
14-03-2003, 01:58 AM
$500.- ?! oh ur crazy. dont spend so much money u have to fight a war. a war that nobody want expect the americans. so dont buy european stuff, we are one of the axe of horror.

;P i dont linke j.w.bush jr. and his politics.

i hope u can fix ur problem and u can use the great wonderfull european mobile phone.

cya amigappc (germany)

Frenchie746
14-03-2003, 03:19 AM
FYI: Its G.W.Bush not J.W.Bush :P

15-03-2003, 05:21 AM
My phone also locked up with a brand new t-mobile sim card. I tested it and with a couple other cards but decided to send it back to the guy I bought it from.

He got it and says it works fine!

I am from San Diego and he is in Seattle could this have to do with anything?

Where are you from with the locked up phone and have you heard from nokia since you sent your phone away?

toddwess
15-03-2003, 12:03 PM
I'm in Washington DC. I tried a T-Mobile card that was a year old, and on that was a month old. Neither one worked.

The phone would completely lock up. I sent it to Nokia on Wednesday, and don't expect it back here until Thursday. I seriously hope it works!

Grizam
19-03-2003, 08:00 PM
:angel: I was fortunate enough to go to a store that had several versions of the 3650 offered all 3 GSM services and was an authorized nokia repair facility.

We tried all diffrent carriers and all diffrent configs and we came to find that Flash Version 2.5 only works with Cingular and AT&T and T-Mobile at least here in San Diego only works with 2.4 and earlier... I guess I will have to wait for something after 2.5+ to upgrade my phone to.

The mystery has been solved!

toddwess
20-03-2003, 02:04 AM
I'll have to call Nokia in Florida tomorrow and let them know this. I'm afraid they will test my Ver. 2.5 phone and see no problems with it since they don't have my T-Mobile SIM card.

I gave them a call yesterday (they have had my phone for 5 days now) and they informed me that they do not have the necessary equipment to fix my phone. They said to call back on Friday and see what the update was then. If I had known that a week ago, I would have returned the phone, instead of sending it in for repair.

This is getting worse and worse and worse . . .

toddwess
20-03-2003, 06:14 PM
Weird . . .

I just called Nokia this morning to let them know about the issues with software version 2.5 with T-Mobile, and they informed me that my phone has been repaired, and was shipped on Tuesday and is on it's way to me this afternoon. It is on the FedEX delivery truck for delivery by 4pm eastern today.

Strange since on Tuesday they said they didn't have the equipment to work on these phones. The only details they could give me was that the Symbian OS on the phone was upgraded, but couldn't tell me to what version number.

More after the phone gets here in a few hours . . .

Todd

toddwess
20-03-2003, 09:31 PM
I got the phone this afternoon . . .

put my T-Mobile SIM in the back . . .

crossed my fingers . . .

turned it on . . .

AND IT WORKED!! I have software Ver. 2.54 on the phone, and it works!! YEAH!! Now to play with it, and shoot some video!!

Todd