View Full Version : Google maps v3.2.1 and recent use

28-08-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm starting up a new thread to report my experiences with Google maps over the past 3 months -

up to version 3.1.6, everything seemed to go fine with Google maps, with no usage problems at all. Nice.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, after a reflashing and hard resets, I saw that Google maps had become v3.2.0 and then my problems started. Mostly it is Google maps just crashing out completely back down to the menu screen, usually when you don't touch the screen for about 5-10 secs. Sometimes (minority of times) it doesn't and behaves itself. This is rare. I have deinstalled/reinstalled several times, both with v3.2.0 and now, with the latest version 3.2.1. With 3.2.1 I thought I was ok, for the first few times of using it, but now it again tends to crash out within 5-10 secs of not touching the screen.
If you move the map about with your finger every 2-3 secs, then it doesn't crash. Weird. It does this if you are moving, not moving, if you use the GPS or not, or if you have 3G+/packet data on or off. Somehow I have to figure out how to get 3.1.6 back, and get that.

All the above has been tested with many hard resets, reflashing with Orange UK+updates, and Italian+updates, firmwares.

If noone else is experiencing this, then I have yet another part of my handset that has slowly corrupted on me (as well as the DLNA app, which also used to work and now doesn't remember any settings or work at all). I agree with rvirga (on another post) I probably need to exchange my handset asap, but I'm just waiting a few more weeks before I go through the hassle! My handset was one of the first and initially had xxIE2 Orange UK on it. Probably ropey hardware from day one is my current prognosis, but I thought I'd post this for anyone else who might be having a problem.

29-08-2009, 02:34 AM
I had the same issue and eventually re-installed the previous version:

This is now running like a dream.

31-08-2009, 04:32 PM
With me the problem with v.3.2.0 is that every so often it decides it needs to close an internet connection. Even if the only connection open is the one it is using!!

I have found that by hitting Cancel it is usually quiet for a few minutes before asking again. Usually it eventually gives up on this.

01-09-2009, 10:31 AM
@atharh - many thanks ! I will try that as soon as I can.

03-09-2009, 07:21 AM
I had exactly the same problem with google maps v3.2.1, I downloaded the version atharh suggested (thanks for that) and it works absolutely fine now.

16-09-2009, 07:18 PM
I've had the same problem after downloading yesterday but will do as this post suggests.


17-09-2009, 09:24 AM
@atharh - Hi, don't get me wrong, MUCH appreciated for posting link to v.3.0.1; but I am still finding it, on occasion, prone to crashing. It has happened 2-3 times, ok, not a big deal compared to v 3.2.1 crashing every time (see above); but I thought I would just report how I was getting on with your kind upload.
I think it more related to Layers e.g. when you click on/off Traffic...

I have still not found a way to get hold of v.3.1.6 (any one know where to get 'old versions'?). Then I could 'test' to see if this is related to my firmware (Orange UK official update; xxIF7). If I get time this weekend, I am going to do the round of trying out the italian + new Sept. firmware (forgotten what it is, there are so many updates - xxIH1 of something?). Just checking... oh yes, it is xxII1. Oh no, it also seems I might have some problems... but there you go. This has to be the worst handset I have ever owned. I just want it to work as advertised.

Either way, I am now not really using Google maps on my i8910 (as other readers will know, I'm not really using the i8910 for anything important at present, at all, it is just too buggy to be trusted)...

But thanks to all the experts out there!

18-09-2009, 02:02 PM
I've had it doing this for the last couple of days.

I think it's a bug at the Google end rather than anything else. I get a "page not found" error every time I open the app, indicating they've moved something on their servers (no, it's definitely not a problem with my data connections on the phone)

21-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi - I used v3.0.1 quite a bit over the weekend; and didn't have any trouble at all. Now on xxII1 (Italian update) firmware.