View Full Version : New (Italian) firmware update next week

stuclark
14-08-2009, 03:40 PM
This news hot off the press from Samsung Italy: (translated, so excuse the English)

The update is complete. The software must still be validated at headquarters and the release was postponed to next week. The improvements include: Task Switcher 3D, Browser, Contacts, Photos, QuickOffice, and calendar widgets. We apologize for the delay

vudluxi
21-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Any update when the new firmware will be available?
Just tried and told I was upto date.

stuclark
25-08-2009, 11:13 AM
They've delayed the update to "ensure the quality is high enough" so I'm afraid we don't now have an exact date, but as soon as it gets released we'll let everyone know.

rleader
04-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Dear stuclark,
Could I suggest you start a sticky which can be edited now and again to show what the latest firmware is for the classic firmwares e.g. UK and Italian +
so that, more importantly, when you can login to AAS and this forum we can quickly see that it is e.g. time to go through the hassle of starting my XP machine, plugging in i8910 -> PC studio -> update.
I'm back to Orange xxIF7 (the latest) in anticipation of a swap-out or complete model exchange (I still don't trust the i8910 for stability in a professional environment, risk an E72 anyone? LOL); but at the mo I'm just hanging in there with Orange to see if (any) new UK firmware, perhaps to xxIG4 standard, is released to solve all the minor bugs (we live in hope, eh?!)
Cheers!

PS oh good grief, my PC studio has just reported the classic 'your phone model is not supported' error - I didn't see that yesterday, and I've been back on xxIF7 for a couple of weeks. It normally says 'you are up to date'. As usual, I'm being given the runaround on this updating lark.

freddyg
05-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Hi rleader
Like you I am on Orange firmware at the moment-dated 18th May I believe. I had flashed my phone to the Italian IG2 firmware but hated the stop bug. The browser slowed to a crawl after a few days too! So I went back to Orange firmware which isnt great but browser is more stable.

I had been checking for firmware updates via PC Studio and noticed 10 or so days ago there was an orange update available. I gave it a try but it simply introduced the stop bug! It was dated 23/6/09. The browser also froze completely on flash heavy sound. The audio on the camera was still amr too! So I reverted back to original Orange firmware.

I have been keeping an eye on the firmware updates via PC Studio and was always getting the notification that the 23/6/09 firmware was available but just ignored it having tried it out. However I noticed tonight that I got the same error as yourself-namely that "Your handset is not supported". I suspect that they withdrew that buggy nightmare firmware and are going to release a revised one shortly in line with the latest italian one. Fingers crossed anyway.

Sometimes I really do feel that we have become beta testers for this handset and I am not impressed.

rvirga
05-09-2009, 11:51 AM
News from Italy:

The firmware update will be available at the beginning of next week. Development has taken longer than expected due to the integration with the new Application Store which will launch on September 14.

Based on what Samsung said earlier, this Italian update should incorporate the recent QuickOffice upgrade, which hopefully will free up some precious space on C:(I'm down to just 11MB!).
In the meanwhile, I've seen some screenshots from the Russian firmware II2, and they're great. The 3D Task Manager looks gorgeous. They've also added letters to the phone dialpad (not a big deal for us Europeans, but Americans will undoubtedly rejoice) , and, according to some reports, Podcasting works better (huzzah!).

stuclark
06-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Hi everyone,

...as you may all have noticed, the Italians *still* haven't released the expected firmware update...

However, as someone else has mentioned, there's a new Russian firmware out (I9010XEII1) which cures the stop bug and includes the fabled 3D task manager. It is NOT the same spec as we expect of the Italian firmware though (Quick Office is still version 4).

There's currently no good guess as to when the Italian firmware will be released - Samsung have been notably quiet in the last couple of weeks and haven't given us any updates.

... For those who are comfortable with flashing their phone using tools other than the Software Update program, some clever sparks have also worked out how to make custom firmwares with different languages / features... I'll post more on this soon...

rvirga
06-09-2009, 09:45 AM
There's currently no good guess as to when the Italian firmware will be released - Samsung have been notably quiet in the last couple of weeks and haven't given us any updates.

They've said they're going to release it at the beginning of next week (you haven't checked the Samsung FaceBook page recently, have you?), and this time I'm going to believe them. Mostly because there's a Sept 14 upper bound on the release date: what good is a Samsung app store if the potential customers don't have the software to access it?

Jules_N93
06-09-2009, 06:12 PM
I fit were possible to instert another language's T9, I would not mind an english menu in my phone at all.

stuclark
08-09-2009, 06:48 PM
They've said they're going to release it at the beginning of next week (you haven't checked the Samsung FaceBook page recently, have you?), and this time I'm going to believe them. Mostly because there's a Sept 14 upper bound on the release date: what good is a Samsung app store if the potential customers don't have the software to access it?
They have indeed said they're going to release it this week (maybe tomorrow now) but no one believe that "limit" of the 14th... the rumoured app store wouldn't drive a firmware release.