View Full Version : I'm about to vomit: MS VisualBasic development for p800 !!!

rgb
06-03-2003, 03:31 PM
I always felt that the Symbian OS was much better than anything produced by MS ! Now the MS Virus Bug has attached to the P800 too... there is a tool called AppForge that allows Micro$$oft Visual Basic programmers to write applications for the P800. To be able to run these applications you need to download the AppForge Booster which has been payed for us P800 customers by Sony Ericsson. They even say that SE is considering putting this as standard in the new release of the phone.
Some good news lots of new software will be available for the P800
Some bad news it will be written in the worse programming language of all.
(BTW I love Bill Gates, or I don't ?)

Raven
06-03-2003, 04:09 PM
I downloaded the AppForge Booster and installed it on my P800 and the first thing I noticed was the incredible amount of memory this program(and all it's components) required. Through GRPS I checked out all the apps available with this Booster. I tried a few of them out, I took a look at the price tag of these apps...

I then opened Storage manager and completely ERASED THIS PIECE OF UTTER CRAP SOFTWARE!...

Then I opened up File Manager only to find ALOT of leftovers from this shitty program, and now I have erased any trace it may have left on my phone, never ever to let it come within a hundred feet of my P800 ever again!
The End.

Me
06-03-2003, 04:16 PM
I'm a MAC guy, my phone is therefore a MAC phone...Sorry Bill.

rgb
06-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Glad to hear that I am not the only one that prefers a clean Symbian OS...

riksa
06-03-2003, 05:52 PM
Some bad news: it will be written in the worse programming language of all.
I don't know about the quality of the program since I've never used it, but I do know the quality of the programmers who use it :) Hence, anything VB related = Major NO-NO (I apologize if some VB "engineer" got offended :roll: )

jplacson
06-03-2003, 06:07 PM
I only found ONE Appforge app that interested me... the Shopping List app... but for $20????!?!?!!? Good grief!!! Shopping efficiency is NOT worth $20!!!! I'm sticking with the native Jot.

I deleted Appforge as well... too bloated...just like any M$ dependent app.

I'm sticking with the REAL Symbian developers.

Small, EFFICIENT, and PROPERLY CODED apps. :P (though they're not cheap either)

langdona
06-03-2003, 06:12 PM
(BTW I love Bill Gates, or I don't ?)

Nice to have yoy on board :D

Jimbo9
06-03-2003, 07:34 PM
I'd gladly accept vomiting invitation - I get rash whe I read VB.
There is an easy and very efficient solution.

Don't ever put this shit on the phone. Even some java programs are quite so-so but putting VB on Symbian device is just too much.
If I wanted M$ crap I'd buy their phone. But I'm not doing that.

Jimbo

christomas
06-03-2003, 10:35 PM
Hmmm nice to know alot of us guys think the same. Booster is just too much when it comes to taking memory. I downloaded it but didnt placed it on my P800. Just like anything from MS, its taking up memory like theres no tomorrow :)

dezoe
07-03-2003, 01:32 AM
SE and Symbian should produce cheap (free!) dev. tools for C++. That would give many poor, but willing, spirits (like me) a fair chance to write free apps for the symbian platform. Many apps == attractive platform for average users. Have SE made some kind of a monopolistic deal with Metrowerks? There's no way they could sell CodeWarrior at that price if there were other options for C++ developer targeting the symbian os7/UIQ. What do You think?

MaleBuffy
07-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Well actually if you have a P800 you dont need CodeWarrior. You only need CodeWarrior to run the emulator. You can still program and test the app on the device.

dezoe
07-03-2003, 01:53 AM
Well actually if you have a P800 you dont need CodeWarrior. You only need CodeWarrior to run the emulator. You can still program and test the app on the device.
Well, I know, but this isnīt very practical - is it? I thought Iīd get right on it writing apps for my P800 - but itīs so much fuss....

MaleBuffy
07-03-2003, 02:02 AM
Well it isnt practical, but many great apps for the P800 were created that way. It depends on how much you really want it.

dezoe
07-03-2003, 02:21 AM
It really depends on how much SE wants it. Microsoft wants their platform to be the standard on smarphones (too!). Thats probably why theyīre including Virual PocketPC in the next Visual Studio.NET http://www.pcpro.co.uk/?http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/news_story.php?id=39214 . Windows developer will have an easy way to make apps for the pocketPC this way. I know Visual Studio cost $$$$, but I donīt think this is the point. Microsoft has lots of $$$ for advertising and people use it on their desktop (they know the brand). When MS get some real smartphones out - they will be dangerous.. Symbian and SE could give freetime developers a motive why they should make apps for Symbian - if they wanted to..
(sorry for this bad post - kind of tired... ;) )