View Full Version : N97 - Boingo/Net not working

Zyyb
08-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Hi All,

Thanksfully I backed up my phone last night, so hopefully can fix this later, but wondering if anyone else has this problem.

I loaded the Boingo App, as not sure what it was (I know, i'm a chump) I was trying to see which ones i'd ever use cos there are tons of icons in the App folder, i've moved most of them to a new folder called Crap.

Boingo instantly became my 1st priority destination and now i can't delete and even though i changed it to 3rd priority none of my apps that use the web, inc the widgets on the homepage will load, they load for about half a second and then completely close!! The widgets on the homepage just say "loading content"

Also, the GPS seems to be a little weak, it takes ages for me to lock on, when i'm in the same places my N96 only took seconds to lock onto, is this normal?

I'm running the newest version of the software as of yesterday, 10.14 something

Thanks for any help you can give!

munkiii
08-07-2009, 02:26 PM
i can't help you on the internet/Boingo thing, but the GPS thing i might be able to help.

First of all, make sure you have Assisted GPS turned on, this uses your internet connection (you select the one you want to permanantly use, but never wifi) to make the GPS fix alot quicker.

The first GPS fix you get might take upto 5 minutes or so, but every time after that, it should be well under a minute most of the time.

Even indoors now, i get a signal after about 20 seconds using Assisted GPS.

The only slow thing i've found is trying to get a GPS fix whilst in Turkey last week.
I turned off the Assisted GPS (because roaming there it was 8 per Mb) and it took about 15 minutes to get a fix each time (only did it 3 times all week), and that was while leaving my phone on a table.

rdcinhou
08-07-2009, 05:29 PM
About the "Boingo Problem"...

earlier today after consulting the FAQ on the Boingo website, I decided to write them an email complaining about their implementation on the N97 (which by the way is not listed as being compatible with their mobile implementation).

I apprised them of the numerous users complaining on AAS and Nokia Conversations and asked that they make some sort of announcement about how they intend to fix the problem.

If you like, you may write them at:
feedback@mobile.boingo.com

Zyyb
09-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Yeah, I managed to find a page on the Nokia discussion forums, you can't even uninstall Boingo and the access point becomes protected and completely cocks up your net!!

I restored my backup, but it was no good, it was still in there, had to do a hard reset and then restore my backup just to get rid of it, it's now hidden within a few subfolders.

So everybody else, don''t ever touch the boingo app!

Zyyb
09-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Oh and thanks for this, didn't realise A-GPS was turned off, the lock doesn't seem to be getting there quite right, but my position is usually accurate within a few seconds with that turned on. Thanks :-)

rdcinhou
24-07-2009, 10:52 AM
The current workaround for the protected Boingo Internet Access Point in your Destinations is to make it the lowest priority in your Destinations.

Settings->Connectivity->Destinations->Internet->(select Boingo)->Options->Organize->Change priority->(slide the selection frame to the lowest priority)->Ok.

This will make the *LAST* thing that your N97 will try to connect to.