View Full Version : Any guesses as to when the OVI store might get some decent content?

davecozens
08-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Checked it this morning, after seeing the Autorama review. Guess what's first on the page? No really... Guess...

Tom & Jerry theme tune ringtones!

Dear God! WTF! The first content on the Nokia flagship store recommended for my flagship smartphone is a 1.50 ringtone. Followed by a few more, then World Traveller (free and preinstalled) and then Michael Jackson ringtones at 3 each! You can buy whole tracks for less than a quid!

Does anybody here actually pay for ringtones even?

I give up... I'm going back to using google search as my app store.

BanziBarn
08-07-2009, 08:21 AM
It really is quite rubbish I agree.

davecozens
08-07-2009, 08:31 AM
It's Rubbish on an Epic scale. It's the "War and Peace" of rubbish (and it's the directors cut).

I expected the content to be intitially not as good as the Apple Store (platform differences, newness, etc) and I expected the GUI to be not quite as good as the Apple store (although I hoped for nearly) but this is bad bad bad.

It's currently just the Download app with a new name. And not quite as much bloody Jamster...

And from the complaining on the developer forums that won't be changing any time soon. It's expensive (so don't expect 99p apps), hard work (so expect all the developers to write stuff for iphones instead) and takes forever to get anything approved (so don't expect a sudden flurry of new apps).

*sigh*

/rant

kontraband
08-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Is it pish poor... I agree...

I mean 3 for a ringtone... WTH!

I did ask the 'who the hell buys ringtones' to the missis... and she said she wouldnt know how to get a ringtone of a song on to her phone... I hid in shame... ;)

If you like tho... you could get a good apps thread going and I'll stick it for ya.

rdcinhou
08-07-2009, 10:48 AM
I too am disheartened by the lack of available content on the roll-out.

The shear quantity of Disney cartoon character wallpapers makes me think that Disney Corp. is underwriting the Ovi Store and paying for product placement.

Back to answering your question of when the Ovi store will have some decent content....

(drum roll please!)

When developers finally stop bricking/unbricking their N97's so they can get to work (rimshot!).

davecozens
08-07-2009, 11:03 AM
When developers finally stop bricking/unbricking their N97's so they can get to work (rimshot!).

Ba-dum - Tish!

londoner888
10-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Am very dissappointed with the choice of app in Ovi, I'm jealous of my friend and his iphone... I didn't expect Ovi to be on the same level as iTunes Apps but come on!!!!

As for buying ringtones, what a waste of money... 3 down the drain, I just buy whole tracks for 70p and cut them up myself to use as ringtones.