View Full Version : Internet Calls On N97

Berty
04-07-2009, 07:39 AM
One of the reasons I bought this phone from Nokia and not on a Vodafone contract was to use the VoIP facility like on my E71 and other previous Nokias.

Anyway I can't find a way to set up VoIP calls, I have a Truphone account, installed the application but it doesn't set up the way it does it other Nokias I've had.

There is no internet call program I can find, am I missing something of have our chums at Nokia not included internet calling yet?

I have Fring and Nimbuzz, but seems a fiddly way to go.

Any ideas?

mrochester
04-07-2009, 10:22 AM
There is no SIP functionality in S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 phones onwards. So Truphone won't work. You will need to use Fring etc.

nottmbantam
05-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Yes, was also going to suggest Fring.

Download it from their website, and fromt ehre you can set up Skype, Gmail notification, MSN - though haven't tried that, so don't know how well MSN works via Fring.

jApi NL
05-07-2009, 04:00 PM
MSN chat on Fring works fine . Voice also , but depends on your mobile operator . Via WiFi ok . After closing the Fring application the chat-session is not saved .

:) jApi NL

Rafe
05-07-2009, 04:56 PM
There is SIp functionality in S60 3.2, but it is not the same as S60 3.1. The same will apply to S60 5th Edition.

The N97 will get full SIP support (likely in its first major firmware upgrade).

Rafe

Berty
06-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Thanks guys, figured how to do it with Truphone, but not as good as it was on my E71 so Nimbuzz will have to do for now, Fring is too fiddly in my book. Roll on these major firmware upgrades.

Mike.mp
06-07-2009, 01:37 PM
there is SIP Settings under Admin settings in the Connectivity menu. Try them.

bchliu
06-07-2009, 02:22 PM

I was trying to find them all day today - accidentally bumped into those settings before (even on V10) and thought I was going crazy.. haha

Edit: This only allows you to create a SIP profile - but the "client" is not available since you cannot choose "internet calls" when dialing or looking up the phone book.. :(

Mike.mp
06-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Well, i had luck with Numbuzz Skype call. Had some problems on v10, but now all fine. Quality is ok.

geeks05
07-07-2009, 12:36 PM
How does nimbuzz work? I've had a look at the site but there doesn't appear to be any information about pricing etc.

I'm looking for an application that will allow me to call other mobiles in the UK as my price plan is extortionately expensive :frown:

sjdean
07-07-2009, 12:44 PM
A genuine inbuilt SIP client is the main overriding reason why I bought the Nokia N97.

If I wanted a phone without a SIP client, I could have gone with the i8910, the iPhone or the Android.

And what happened to this fabled in built Skype client out of the box?

Not that Skype comes anywhere near SIP.

Cya
Simon

Unplugged
07-07-2009, 02:08 PM
If their was any VOIP/Skype/SIP functionality on the N97 you can be guaranteed it won't be their on a Vodafone variant.

nbriscoeuk
09-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Very true, and why I debranded my N95 on the day I got it. However, as Truphone told me they weren't supporting the N97 I have installed Fring thereon and thats working fine. Not made a SIP call with it yet, but have made a SkypeOut call, so at least I'm not paying Voda their 70 (odd) pence per minute for foreign calls.

Regards
Neil

jimbunch
29-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Check this guide, the N97 can do SIP now with this little hack

http://winkstreaming.com/en/n97_sip/

bluephone
30-10-2009, 02:17 AM
N97 with FW V20 does have full VOIP functionality... the only problem is that Nokia is not making it easy for people to enable it.
Check out the link http://winkstreaming.com/en/n97_sip/ though. Well worth the effort!