View Full Version : How are you guys finding the battery life?

londoner888
30-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Not too happy with it.
Nokia state that talk time is 9.5 hours anbd standby time is 17days!!!

I'm getting no way near this!
On moderate use: 1hr talk time, maybe an hour online, texts here and there my phone's down to one bar in less than 48 hours.

How often do you guys charge up?

celios
30-06-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm getting a couple of days from full to empty, but that's with a fair bit of WiFi & 3G web browsing, the odd call and text and Nokia messenging running from 9-5. One thing to get rid of to improve battery life is any self updating widget, like Accuweather or Facebook. I think currently many of the wigets are buggy and keep trying to get a network connection even when the chosen network is unavailable.

jApi NL
30-06-2009, 10:52 PM
There is a recent discussion about battery life in the Samsung i8910 : Bad , but there are some good tips : http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84554

:) Regards jApi NL

davecozens
01-07-2009, 06:30 AM
I'm battery sensitive anyway after owning an n95 for 2 years... if I'm near power, I plug in...

But I've not been impressed with battery so far :(

rdcinhou
01-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Up until yesterday, I was pretty happy with the N97 battery life.

I had run a test the first week that I had it using GPS for 1.5 hrs, taking about 20 photos and uploading to Facebook before I knocked it to the LO BAT annunciation.

Yesterday though, I used GPS for about 10 minutes, took no pictures and only surfed for about 15 minutes and had next to nothing left.

Charged it overnight to full bars, but this morning it dropped down two ticks with no use at all!!!

I've turned off the Online for the Home screen applications and I'm thinking of turning off the vibrating (I suspect that it may be a big battery hog).

Coincidentally this battery poor behavior started after my Facebook and Accuweather applets got locked up in "Loading content" and my RSS Feeds began giving "Unknown error".

A post at Nokia Conversations said that there is a bug that when certain applications switch between 3G and WiFi they get "hung" in a loop and can't get out--even with a reboot of the N97.

I anxiously await the firmware upgrade to help remedy this problem.

Meanwhile, I need to start keeping a USB charging cable with me at all times.

lightbulb
01-07-2009, 05:40 PM
I too had a battery problem overnight. I had set up my connections yesterday to ensure nothing connects without my permission and it always asks with widgets offline etc. Before going to bed the phone was charged from the mains until the phone said it was fully charged.

This morning I heard the phone ring for about 2 seconds and then the ringtone stopped. I checked the phone and it was off and wouldnt power up until I plugged in the charger again. :(

I can only assume the charge completion notification was shown wrongly or something did manage to go online...something else? lol

londoner888
01-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Im am definetly not happy with battery life on the phone, at this rate I'll be charging it daily!!

It was fully charged this morning at 8am.
I've probably made 1hr worth of calls, 10 sms, 5 pictures messages, surfed the net for about 10mins, and at 10pm the phone is down to 4 bars!!

On paper the N97 battery life is excellent and with such a large battery everything seems so promising. However in practice it is no way near the stated times by Nokia and I'm finding that the battery life is poorer than on my T-Mobile Touch Plus??!

I'm thinking also of removing Accuweather and my skysports news rss feed as well as turning off touch screen vibro to see if this improves the life.
I also currently have screen brightness at its highest (looks so much better!) but may have to dim it a little.

jay_jay_n
02-07-2009, 04:12 PM
The first 2 days i loved that my bars never went down at all.. i was amazed on the battery then the following day after a full charge i synced email and i dont kno wat but not much more in mid day i was already at 1 bar of charge left =( luckily i carry my n95 as a backup but im pretty dissapointed on the battery capacity. ironicly the night before i ordered 2 more batteries already just in case for this kind of situation.

londoner888
02-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Yes battery life is very poor after a full charge the day before, I'm currently charging my phone less than 36hours later!!!
And I hardly even used it!!! :(:icon13:

I dread to think that when I do start using it as my main phone, it'll have to be charged daily which is annoying as it'll mean I'll have to carry my charger with me when I'm staying round my girlfriend's.

Jimvti
02-07-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm having to charge every night.

Mike.mp
02-07-2009, 07:20 PM
I charge my every night, and i got two batteries, BUT i use it from 7 am till 6pm. Surfing inet several hours, make phone calls. with constant web usage 1st battery live for about 6 hours, then i change it for another one lol .... i think battery life is OK. for this kinda device.

chris-red
03-07-2009, 12:01 PM
My battery is pretty good, well as good if not better than my N95. I have ordered another battery which I will keep in my wallet (which I did with my N95)

Yesturday I had some calls and texts, browsed the net/msn/facebook for a few hours used maps and the gps for an hour and listern to a few hours music via a bluetooth headset. I left home at 7am and returned at eleven with 4 bars.

zkyevolved
03-07-2009, 01:29 PM
I charge my every night, and i got two batteries, BUT i use it from 7 am till 6pm. Surfing inet several hours, make phone calls. with constant web usage 1st battery live for about 6 hours, then i change it for another one lol .... i think battery life is OK. for this kinda device.

Do you leave it on 3G?

Since I mostly use only messaging (email/IM), I always leave my phone in GPRS. That usually extends my battery a lot.

How many people here put it into GPRS and please tell me about your battery life :) I charge my blackberry bold every night. Will the Nokia N97's battery get through a day of heavy emailing (push) and instant messaging?

Cool! Lemme know :D
Thanks!

jay_jay_n
06-07-2009, 06:31 PM
i didnt charge the phone the whole day then use the internet with downloading programs etc.. for a few hours on gprs since i cant use 3g on tmobile =(.. and the battery never dropped i was suprised that the battery was doing so good and getting calls here and there the whole day..

Mike.mp
06-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Yes, my phone always on 3G. It changes some times for GSM. But i can use it whole day. With a lot of surfing. Git email client on home screen. Numbuzz stays on sometimes.

bchliu
07-07-2009, 07:10 AM
From how I see it is..

You can look at it from two perspectives -

1) Crappy battery life for a phone (36 hours for me)
2) Excellent battery life for a netbook (you cant beat 36 hours!!)

I am an optimist so I go for the second option.. :)

nottmbantam
07-07-2009, 06:28 PM
From full charge, I'm don't quite get two full days.

Normal daily use is a few text messages, a few phone calls, downloading and sending a few emails using he email client. I have News Buzz on home screen along with Accuweather and also update the Psiloc World Traveller via GPRS.

In the evenings, its used for around 45-50 mins down the gym. 30 mins of video playback, and anoterh 15-20 mins on music player.

I have touch screen vibration on a full, screen to full brightness. Would be happy fo rit to see out two full days, that I live with very easily, but I'm used to carrying a charger around with me, and also have the USB cable on most times :icon14: