View Full Version : Two official fw updates coming in the next two weeks

rvirga
26-06-2009, 10:15 PM
OMG, this is HUGE!
There's a official post from Samsung Italia on its Facebok page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Samsung-Omnia-HD/77222679005):

Sono previste due release di aggiornamento software. La prima č in programma la settimana prossima. La seconda, la settimana successiva. La prima release ha l’obiettivo di migliorare la performance generale del software e della batteria. Includerą, tra l’altro, nuovi widgets e giochi. Nella seconda, il codec AAC sostituirą il codec AMR della registrazione audio durante la ripresa video a 720p.

For those of you who don't speak Italian, I'll translate below:

There are two scheduled firmware updates. The first will be out next week. The second, the week after that. The first release focuses on improving general performance and battery life. It will include, among other things, new widgets and games. In the second one, the AAC codec will replace the AMR one in audio encoding when filming video at 720p.

It sounds almost too good to be true, and, if it wasn't posted from an official Samsung account, I'd dismiss it as a hoax. I'll keep you posted on developments.

As a side note, a few weeks ago when I first tried running the firmware update program, it told me my phone was not supported. Today I tried again, and this time my phone was recognized, and it told me I already had the latest firmware. This tells me that they have already set up their software update servers for the i8910.

capitaine
27-06-2009, 06:12 AM
Yes I've seen this... and was wondering why Samsung chose to have an Italian 'official' communications channel....? They have an engineering base in Italy or...?

Anyway, it appears legit... so should be very interesting. Although why 2 updates in 2 weeks...?

rleader
29-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Hi - I posted in one of the other threads on AAS that I found Steve/Rafe's preview on the i8910, the handset they used to record a 720p.mp4 file, was at 1280x720, using an AAC 16kHz codec, but the output was 20fps.

The file can be found a third of the way down here:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/reviews/item/Samsung_Omnia_HD_Preview_I8910-Part_2-Camera_HD_video_and_Multimedia.php

VLC plays it fine, of course, as it is AAC encoded & you can check out the Codec stats in the relevant VLC tab.

If one of the new firmware's does indeed included AAC (hopefully yes!) then I bet it should AT LEAST have the above 720p-AAC option, albeit at 20fps... March 26th was 3 months ago, eh?
Cheers!
Thanks to Steve/Rafe for all their hard work and reviews! AAS is a quality site.

gregbridwell
01-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Regarding upcoming phone updates, when I run the phone update via Samsung PC Studio 7 it starts okay, seems to download something and then prompts me to select Start to continue. When I do it tells me that the update failed because my phone is not connected (which is not the case). The phone syncs okay...file manager works. Media sync is working fine. It just gives me this error when I try the update selection using PC Studio 7. Anyone else experiencing this?

Also when I try to update OTA via the phone it tells me I need to setup a Server Profile and won't continue. I have no idea what information to place here. If anyone has a thought or the information I need I would really appreciate the help! Don't want to miss any updates/improvements!

Thanks!

Tenkom
01-07-2009, 06:27 PM
I have the exact same problem.

rvirga
01-07-2009, 10:16 PM
The update program in PC Studio 7 sometimes seems to hang in the "Checking Phone information" screen (or maybe it just takes longer, and I don't have the patience to wait for it to finish), but most of the time works OK with my phone (unbranded, with original firmware IE4) . However, it keeps telling me that my phone is up-to-date, and there's no new update available :(.

gregbridwell
02-07-2009, 01:29 AM
After emailing cust svc in UK (since the phone is not "here" in USA), they referred me to US cust support. Skeptical, I emailed them with the problem I was having with PC Studio 7 and they quickly replied that "unlocking" a phone and using it in a country and network other than what it was intended for voided the warranty and that they couldn't service me. WTF? I go out of my way to use THEIR f'n product and that's what I get? I wasn't asking for a f'n replacement phone or anything. Just software support. A-holes.

Anyway, I've repeated my request with a few more colorful descriptions and we'll see if I get anywhere.

The thing that I am struggling with is the phone was completely unbranded in every way. I bought it in a brick & mortar store not on the internet. All I did was stick my SIM card in and hit the ground running. Can they really refuse me any warranty support? Just curious, but it does piss me off...once again, a-holes....

rvirga
02-07-2009, 06:04 AM
In my experience, asking for customer support for a phone that's not on sale on that country is always a lost cause, even if you manage to find someone willing to help (instead of an a**hole like you did). This is because, in all likelihood, the people who do tech support haven't received yet the technical documentation and service training materials about that model. Moreover, this is the first and only S60v5 device from Samsung; the situation would be different if you were asking sw support about a WinMo device.
If I were you, I'd try again with the UK customer service, rather than wasting time with the US one.
Edit: and don't use "colorful descriptions" (if that's an euphemism for what I think it is). Doing that might make you feel good, but it also jeopardizes any chance you may have of getting help.

rleader
02-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Hiya gregbridwell - I sympathise, greatly. To illustrate the other end of the commitment spectrum, so to speak, I have the 'full monty' situation over here in the UK i.e. a proper (& well negotiated) Orange UK contract, which provided me with the i8910 'free' so to speak - it is really the services I believe I am paying for, the handset is almost irrelevant (but not quite!). This is my business situation, which may be very different from yours, of course, but ultimately, if the handset and/or accompanying software is at fault, then I agree, they should really make more of an effort.

From the above, I am suffering the same, as you may see from my posts on this forum. Quite a substantial amount of the technology underlying this handset, which, let's face it, is the reason why you may choose it rather than an older, more mature handset, is beta, at best, or just plain faulty or impractical (see other postings). I have spoken to Samsung UK customer services on, let's say, 'some' occasions, and their current line still is 'wait for the firmware updates'. And on top of that, I have to pay (admittedly no more than 8p/minute), to talk to them.

The most serious problem for me is the potential for sudden overnight battery drain on my i8910, for a reason(s) I still have not figured out (see the 'battery' thread in this forum). This may, or may not, be ruled by Samsung UK as an exchange situation. I will see. At the moment, I am starting to rely more and more on my old handset. When that threshold is crossed and I use it more than 50% of my time, then I conclude the i8910, as I write, is too much of a beta-product to recommend.

In the UK, this is part of the UK's operator business model i.e. for Orange, T-mobile, 3, etc., much different from the, may I say, terrible, USA operator business model, which, I believe, means you are likely on long contracts and also have to pay for your handsets on top of that! In the UK, operators are pushing very hard to replicate this and I disagree with it completely. In the end, consumers are king, and they always should be. But, the majority controls the market... all I can say is, don't buy another Samsung handset until they get a new model right - but here is the rub, how do you know if a handset is right until you actually own it? Y'see, they are clever, eh? So it is up to us to report as much as we can for everyone else to make an informed decision.
The reason I am making these posts is that Samsung UK customer services had the gall to ask me, yes me, to report back to them the problems I was having. I think everyone has a right to know when such a poorly, more importantly, expensive, final version product hits the shelves

I only 'buy' a handset every 3 years. I thought that after the problems I read re: the innov8 and i8510 handsets, then the i8910 might have been ok, a 3rd generation so to speak, and I took the i8910 as my first Symbian handset as a challenge. I am on the cusp of being regretful over this decision, as I did think very hard about it (2 weeks) and researched the internet substantially, before choosing it over the HTC magic, HTC touch HD, and iPhone 3G. If I didn't have the iPod touch already, I think I would have waited for the iPhone 3Gs. But all these are my humble opinions and personal situation.

Oh! Samsung PC studio 7, on the UK Samsung download center, has just been updated to v7.2.24.9 !

In one month, this software has changed from v7.2.18.9, then 7.2.20.9. As it covers many handsets, this progression may or may not have anything to do with any possible firmware updates (boy, there is a lot to fix on this handset!) that may/may not happen, as reported here. I will add a thread on this in a moment.

Conclusion:
Wait for the firmwares, then decide if it goes back... e.g. mid-July. Assume that Samsung consumer support is poor, and make future purchasing decisions as appropriate.

Otherwise, enjoy the screen and the 8MP camera! plus the usual handset features we love. PS the internet browsing experience is also awful, I use my iPod touch for that & music duties.

rleader
02-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Hi all - I'm sure you have seen this great post already, on:
http://samsungi8910omnia.com/forum/omnia-hd-firmware-discussion/new-firmware-update/
but I hope it's ok for me to forward it here (I mean, we're all on the edge of our seats on these firmware updates, no?). PS I've corrected the English a little (hope that's ok too)

Quote:
re: New firmware update
« on: Today at 08:26:23 AM »

Pending an available upgrade for the Samsung Omnia HD by the manufacturer, we can give you some more information regarding the next update. Samsung will release an update for this handset initially in Italy. I will be in our country (Italy) to benefit before others re: this important new update.

In addition to some graphics improvements, with the addition of widgets and games, they will also have finally changed the audio codec when recording videos. Unfortunately, this change will apply only to the codec when recording movies in HD or at 1280 × 720 pixels (<comment - same thing, do they mean both 720x480 D1 and 1280x720 HD-ready modes?>). The other resolutions will continue to have the current codec. Future updates will roll-out this implemented the new codec to the lower resolutions.

Quote from BenM (<comment - some of you may know that BenM is the Samsung UK employee replying to most of the comments on the Samsung Innovators forum, on the Samsung UK site> SEe here for a truly massive thread (500+ posts)
http://innovator.samsungmobile.com/bbs/discussion/view.do?boardName=S60v5&messageId=11241&parentCategoryId=4&messageNumber=0&searchType=title&searchText=&searchDays=0&searchTitleFlag=false&searchRegisterNicknameFlag=false&messageCategoryId=0&startId=zzzzz~&startPage=1&curPage=61

BenM quote:
"The rumors about Italy AAC fixes and firmware updates are coming from work going on around the roll out of HD i8910 with the Italian operator. My understanding is that a fix enabling AAC for 720p only has been readied by the camcorder team, and the intention is to make it available in Italy to support the local operator. That's good news of course, but it is a local solution and a partial solution. We have requested AAC support for all video formats not just 720p, and we also need to find a way to enable firmware updates for all users, not just in Italy. I just want to put the news into perspective. I should know more when the engineers get back from Italy. Still, one step at a time".

Translated Source: italy i8910 HD blog

rleader
02-07-2009, 05:03 PM
A more direct link, sorry - there is so much info out there, that I find it hard to keep up, y'know, what with doing a real job at the same time! LOL

http://innovator.samsungmobile.com/bbs/discussion/view.do?boardName=S60v5&messageId=11241&parentCategoryId=4&messageNumber=0&searchType=title&searchText=&searchDays=0&searchTitleFlag=false&searchRegisterNicknameFlag=false&messageCategoryId=0&startId=zzzzz~&startPage=1&curPage=107

If that doesn't work, it is BenM's post #532 on page 107 of that forum's thread.

gregbridwell
02-07-2009, 05:32 PM
I didn't get too colorful on them. Just called them out a little bit and tried to shame them into loving ME, the customer!

Unfortunately for me I am a huge "early adopter"...My last handset was the Sony Xperia X1a Silver. I moved on to the i8910 after three months. I tend to worry equally about the "challenge" (the i8910 was also my first Symbian) and the functionality. I figured out the X1a, got bored even though I love it and decided to try the i8910.

I have to say that I was a real WinMo fan based on the ability to mold the devices anyway you wanted but I got tired of constantly troubleshooting. I can absolutely say that there is very little with the i8910 or Symbian that I have had to troubleshoot. Minor things anyway when compared to the WinMo X1a. I couldn't multitask without reducing performance somewhere else. Music skipped, phone freezes...I have none of these issues with the i8910. Lately I am feeling that I should be doing something but I don't know what it is; that's the time I was normally busy trying to "fix" my winmo phone. Now I have free time and I don't know what to do with it!!!

There is less challenge with the i8910 and more function but I think I really like that alot. Still getting used to Symbian but it has been a nice trade so far!

Jules_N93
03-07-2009, 08:46 AM
I have an idea for your extra time: why don't you download the latest ep of your favorite series, throw it on your phone without converting it, and wtach t? Preferably near an iPhone-owner ;+)

rvirga
03-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Today was definitely not a good day.
First disappointment: my new Noreve leather case for the i8910 arrived. While the quality of the leather and stitching is awesome as always, they designed this one particularly badly. First of all, they used their usual magnetic closure, which, as I feared, interferes with the i8910's digital compass. But the real show-stopper is that the flap covers the 3.5mm in for the headphones. Epic fail.
Second disappointment: according to the aforementioned Samsung Facebook page, the new firmware release has been delayed by at least one week. This sucks, because from Sunday I'm on vacation for 2 weeks, and I really hoped to have geotagging fixed for the vacation photos I'm going to take. Oh, well...

stuclark
04-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Seeing as Samsung haven't truely officially said anything about firmware updtes, and seeing as they're still trying to get the phone out wotrld-wide, let alone fix bugs, shouldn't wer cut them a little slack?

...and if you flash your i8910 with the latest IF4 firmware, then you get 90% of the supposed "Italian" fixes anyway!

capitaine
05-07-2009, 09:17 PM
new firmware coming soon: http://samsungi8910omnia.com/firmware-update-i8910xxig2-fix-720p-audio-to-aac/

Jules_N93
06-07-2009, 10:09 AM
edit: nevermind. Commented on a post on that site that was totally altered.

rleader
09-07-2009, 09:46 AM
This is a small bit of news, but I just tried PC Samsung Studio's updater just now here in the UK (last week I did a deinstall, then full reinstall of the latest PC studio v7.2.24.9 from Samsung UK support download centre)...

& it found a server (!!!), then downloaded some data for about 5 secs, then asked me to detach/reattach my USB cable, then step 1 of 4 started again (the magnifying glass icon) to find my i8910. After 10 secs it did not hang, as before, but now reported the following 'phone not supported' (!) oh well... but...
(see attached thumbnail)
Well, it's a start, no!? Essentially, I now see that this part of PC studio actually works, it can get new data, and appears to auto-update itself. Perhaps soon it will be able to recognise the i8910 and... dare I say ...
new things (firmwares) are on their way???
I hold my breath! *gasp*

abhishru
03-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Hi everybody I may sound foolish but I have just got the I8910 & was trying to sync my contacts, which are on my PC in Microsoft Outlook, but am not being able to do so. I was trying thru the Samsung PC studio 7 which came along the phone in the CD & the version of the PC studio is also lastest. But am unable to sync PLEASE help, the error message which cames when I open the synchronise tab in the PC studio is that it says "unable to load resources: C:\PROGRAM FILES\SAMSUNG\SAMSUNG MEDIA STUDIO 5\Lang\PcSync2_eng.nlr". After this error message when I press ok on the error message window, it lets me do the settings on the synchronise tab, but once I press ok to start synchronising; the synchronising window just hangs & doesn't respond. I use windows vista on my PC. PLEASE HELP SOMEBODY... Thanks a lot in advance...

Johnbear
14-08-2009, 08:07 AM
Media sync is working fine. It just gives me this error when I try the update selection using PC Studio 7.

-