View Full Version : Scanning Mobile Barcodes!

rdcinhou
25-06-2009, 11:28 AM
While perusing blogs about the N97 I came across a website which had a square bar code to use to enter a bookmark for the site.

Researching the use of mobile barcodes, I found the following Nokia site:

http://mobilecodes.nokia.com/scan.htm

Of the five companies listed as having software for Nokia phones, only one had the N97 listed (yet!). This was Quickmark.

Registering and downloading their software, I then went back to the other site and tried to scan their code.

It was a bit slow at first to talk to the camera and then convert, but when it did a little chipmunk voice (Alvin?) in the software said "Quickmark!" and then displayed the converted URL in a pick-from list.

At last, a "NEAT" application that functions on the N97!

davecozens
25-06-2009, 12:25 PM
If my phone developed an Alvin from the chipmunks voice I'd have to hurt it...

:D

rdcinhou
25-06-2009, 01:11 PM
The application is rather "cute"....after starting it and opening the camera shutter (you normally have to Exit the Camera application that starts) it will look at whatever you point it at and as soon as it finds a 2D scan code it will say "Quickmark!" and then give you whatever it found.

So far, I've used it to grab URL's and even one Symbian installation package. That surprised the heck out of me that it did an immediate download and prompted for an install. It was a theme pack but for a different model of phone so I had to cancel and delete it, but think of the possibilities!

:)

RogerPodacter
26-06-2009, 12:14 AM
This was built into all nokia phones like the n95, e71, etc. I can't believe the n97 did not come with this also out of the box.