View Full Version : Your own widgets

zxon
22-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Is anyone here gonna have a go at making their own widgets for their N97? It'd be mint if any developers here have made one. You could post links to your widgets here.

For example, I'm exploring the possibility of making a Big Brother 10 widget which will show the latest events that are happening in the house. It will be a slightly improved version of my BB10 Mobile site demo at http://tinyurl.com/bb10mobile (Feel free to point your mobile browsers at it if you want to see). Sure it wouldn't appeal to everyone but anyone following big brother this year might like to use it.

zxon
09-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Hmm, no replies?

Anyway, I've done a quick Big Brother 10 widget and it seems to work pretty well. It's based on the RSS Feed widget example that comes with the WRT Widget plug-in for Dreamweaver, and it just points to my RSS feed which reads the official BB10 feed and filters out all the adverts and stuff... which makes it mobile friendly. Oh, and it works on the homescreen too... ish (as in, you can put it on your home screen but it will only show the headlines for the two most recent articles. Press it to see the rest).

I'm now working on a second widget which might appeal to a larger audience... quite literally! It'll be a Weight Watcher's Points Calculator. You can put in the calories and saturated fat of the food you want to eat, and it will tell you how many points it's worth on your diet. It'll be of use to me personally as I used to work it out using a spreadsheet in QuickOffice on my N95 (I've followed the diet for 9 months and lost 2.5 stone so far), and maybe someone else out there who's on the diet too might find it useful!

Anyone else developing widgets?

davecozens
09-07-2009, 10:59 PM
I've got a couple of ideas...

I've knocked up a quick website for free apps today. Planning on doing a widget version but I'm not sure I see much use for it after I added an rss feed to the site.

I've also got an idea for a widget that links through to 4 pages of app shortcuts in an attempt to reduce the number of clicks required to get to stuff...

Maybe people should suggest what apps they'd like...

Unplugged
09-07-2009, 11:13 PM
I tried making some changes to the Faebook one to make it less useless but everything I do stops it working with a script error. I will persevere though

zxon
09-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Maybe people should suggest what apps they'd like...
I'd personally like an I Can Has Cheezburger one. There's one written for the iPhone, and even for the Windows Sidebar, but there isn't one for S60 yet.

Maybe I could start work on that after I've finished my Weight Watchers one...