View Full Version : Help with N97 no GPS signal

n97mann
21-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Hi my first thread so go easy. I'm loving my new N97 however i cant get any signal on maps from anywhere, i had an N96 for about a week (buggy as hell so got rid) and that managed to pick it up from the places i have been trying with the N97, is there something i need to do, or some sort of setting i need to apply as i really like this feature on the n series, i find it especially useful as im a posty LOL! Any help would be appreciated to get me going. I don't know if it makes any difference to the response but i bought this phone early from plemix.com due to me living in the u.k and i've heard bad and good things about them however the phone was brand new and everything else is fine although it has come from Hong Kong.

seki
21-06-2009, 11:27 PM
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84909

Hope that sorts it out for you.

n97mann
22-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Ive managed to find the GPS signals when i go on GPS data so its picking somethign up but when im on maps theres one yellow bar flashing constantly when i try to find my location.

n97mann
22-06-2009, 05:20 PM
right i've managed to lock onto a signal when maps is turned on and i search for "my location" however nothing comes up apart from a blank light greeny colour throughout the page and if i zoom out i get a rather pixelated Earth. Would i be right in thinking that the actual maps need loading onto the phone before i can use it or again is there something i need to do? It keeps promting me to go online however at the moment i haven't renewed my web bolt on, would this enable me to see where i am and where i'm going?

simuk
22-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Many thanks for this tip about the positioning server. All weekend I was only getting the outline of 4 satellites and no signal, and it was because I'd not defined an access point to allow the GPS to connect to the internet.

Interesting (and annoying) however that it seems to want a single pre-defined access point, such as GPRS. Why doesn't this use Destinations, so as I could get it to connect via WiFi if I'm within a wifi network's range? It seems it's only connected for a very short time to get the data from Nokia's server, but I presume it is purely getting some data from a database rather than getting the mast location from the use of the GPRS signal (Google Maps manages to do this without transfering data for example), in which case the requirement for a connection via a mobile network seems odd. Doesn't seem it gives the choice of WiFi at all.