View Full Version : My First 24 hours

sjdean
21-06-2009, 01:50 PM
So after my first 24 hours, here are my thoughts....

I've got greasy fingers. The screen seems to clean fairly easily so I like that. Nice solid feel and great design. Feels good in the hand and everything is very usable, Keyboard, writing, predictive text etc which none of the other touch screens seem to have - they rely on teeny tiny on screen qwertys with no tactile feedback.

S60 5th Edition has definitely changed, I think for the better, being able to setup multiple access points (eg Wireless etc) under one subgroup and set priorities. Text messages and email now feature "grouping".

I think this is one thing Nokia have got right.

Apart from a lack of kinetic scrolling in the menus, I think the interface is just right.

Bugs?

Oh galore.

Here are my few...

1) Widges/Weather application, as soon as you go outside of your WiFi area, it seems to switch to using your GPRS/3G Connection and never switches back unless you tell it to disconnect.

Think that's a bit of a worthless application actually because it keeps firing up a-gps all the time and using battery.

2) I couldn't get the phone to connect in Media Transfer Mode to my computer yesterday. I have no intention of installing Ovi, but Vista just kept reporting it was trying to find the MTP driver.

3) I told the phone to use Mass Memory (E:) for storing messages. It copied all the messages correctly from C: to E:. But then what happens if you connect your phone to your computer in mass storage mode, drive E: becomes inaccessible on the device and incoming text messages are kind of lost.

4) On top of this, if you try and change the phone text storage from mass memory back to the very limited drive C:, it doesn't copy the messages back (though you can revert back to E: and your messages are still there)

5) I had to reboot the phone this morning because something must of crashed. I have two IMAP accounts setup, one wouldn't connect and the other just said it was in use - I couldn't even delete it. After the phone reboot, both the messages and contacts from Drive C: had vanished!

So
Useless WeatherView application that needs constant GPRS/3G and GPS
Media Transfer Problems
Inaccessible Drive E: when in mass storage usb mode
Can't revert messages from E: to C:
Lost Contacts and Messages

jApi NL
21-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Did you only Reboot the Phone or did you also a Hard Reset ? Since clearing C: is nomally the case with Hard Reset only . Anyway to avoid the issue of loosing data one can make a backup on Card first , and set back later . (of course before crash/freeze !)

:) Regards jApi NL

sjdean
21-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Definitely a switch off only using the power button on the top. Curiously, calendar entries and notes all remained.

White reminds me

6) Woke up this morning, went to check my notes, they all had the same date!

zxon
21-06-2009, 05:55 PM
3) I told the phone to use Mass Memory (E:) for storing messages. It copied all the messages correctly from C: to E:. But then what happens if you connect your phone to your computer in mass storage mode, drive E: becomes inaccessible on the device and incoming text messages are kind of lost.
I've noticed this. It was quite annoying because I had to firstly change back from C: to E: in messaging settings, and then change the settings in the email widget to actually use a mailbox. I wouldn't mind so much if it changed back after you disconnect it from the PC.