View Full Version : Now you've got your N97, tell us what you think!

davecozens
19-06-2009, 09:34 AM
All you lucky people who've got your N97s already, tell us what you think of them!

So that all us less lucky people can get really jealous and stuff...

D

bowman
19-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Ok. Haven't had a lot of time with it so far but here's my first impressions:

Build quality is excellent. No clicky slider (N95 anyone?). It opens and closes in a very positive manner. The back cover won't survive for long unless you're careful removing it (obvious I know but it's especially true of this one). It's the entire length of the phone and opens from the bottom but does feel more flexible than the cover on my N95. It's a shame it has no rubberised coating like the N95 as the phone is quite slippery in hand and slides on any surface when using it opened up. A coating would stop the slip but maybe they figured it would wear out too quickly.

The screen is nice and bright, the battery was fully charged right out of the box but annoyingly they've stuck a proprietary connector port on the phone instead of a standard mini usb. There is an adaptor in the box to let you use a normal nokia charger, it also comes with a mains charger, connectivity cable, earphones, earphone remote thingy and a little stylus (which I seem to have fallen in love with for some bizarre reason). It's metal with a loop at the cap end so you can connect it to your phone, obviously the part that you touch the screen with is plastic. Using the touchscreen without the stylus is fine, I have fairly average sized fingers and haven't hit any problems so far. No memory card in the box but wasn't expecting one and have 2 x 16gb MicroSD's anyway. Unsurprisingly it's much quicker than the N95. Apps install much faster, start up faster and the whole thing is just... faster.

That's it for now. I'll be setting it up fully over the weekend but I can definitely say I'm not disappointed with it in any way so far.

zxon
19-06-2009, 04:59 PM
I concur with bowman, although I haven't used the stylus much yet to have any sort of opinion on it.

It's really fast, the screen is bright and crisp, not a single crash so far even though I've been using it heavily since UPS dropped it off at work. My battery wasn't fully charged sadly, and it died when I was surfing the net over wifi. The keyboard was strange to use at first but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it (BTW having the space bar on the right is not a problem, at least not for me as I hit the space bar with my right thumb when using a PC anyway).

The only niggling problems I had were setting up the homescreen widgets to use the right internet connection, and re-organising the icons in the menus to how I wanted them. However, these are going to be few and far between, and less of an issue now that I know how to do it.

All in all, very impressed so far. A big step up from my N95.

Halon
19-06-2009, 05:47 PM
The screen is nice and bright, the battery was fully charged right out of the box but annoyingly they've stuck a proprietary connector port on the phone instead of a standard mini usb.

Is it a microUSB port like on the N85 and other new phones? Looks like one in the photos. I was under the impression Nokia would be using these on all their phones now.

celios
19-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Yes, it's a microUSB port - standard.

awysocki
19-06-2009, 06:21 PM
I like the N97 the form factor, the keyboard, but it has a whole bunch of simple annoying software issues that I'm surprised they released.

- The LOCK slider switch doesn't always turn on the back light when unlocking the phone, you have to do it a few times.

- The phone reboots if you use the browser too much

- The browser is still painful, I have an iPod iTouch and Apple did do their browser right, Its so much easier to use and you don't have to click 3 times to key in a field. Its one click and you are there. In the N97 I like writting, so I have to click the field, then click the keyboard, click that I want to use handwritten recognition. write what I want, click the check box, then click ok again to be returned to the web form. Too much typing/clicking

I also started a petition, only to see if others agree, but much of the code seems to be beta, it doesn't always work and you have to be gentle with it. Don't push it too much. So sign the petition of you feel Nokia should give us first purchasers a discount.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/NokiaN97/

Oh and Nokia is deleting any uprising from their forums if you complain too much about the N97 buggy software

I quote

The discussion boards are a user-to-user troubleshooting forum. Nokia staff from various departments monitor from time to time, but this is not the place to solicit a direct response from Nokia.

If you require a direct reply from Nokia on any subject, you need to contact Nokia Care in your own country via the phone and e-mail links on the relevant Nokia web site.

We do not allow discussion about Petition signing or so on. Please refrain from posting such informations.

So don't try to push Nokia to do anything using their forums. They push back.

bowman
19-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Yes, it's a microUSB port - standard.

Sorry but it definitely isn't a standard microUSB port. If you try to connect a standard cable you'll be disappointed because it won't fit.

N97 cable is on the right.

bowman
19-06-2009, 06:49 PM
...I also started a petition, only to see if others agree, but much of the code seems to be beta, it doesn't always work and you have to be gentle with it. Don't push it too much. So sign the petition of you feel Nokia should give us first purchasers a discount.

I'm sorry but I don't think you'll get anywhere even if you get 10,000 people to sign the petition. A large portion of N97 early adopters will know Nokia's track record when it comes to new phones. They know it won't be perfect straight out of the box and that ongoing firmware updates will fix bugs and add features. And even if Nokia responded to a petition (which I doubt) they'll simply state it was ready for release or they wouldn't have released it, and that they provide firmware updates as an ongoing free service to show their ongoing support for their customers.

Believe me I understand your frustrations, my N97 has already locked up on me once forcing me to pull the battery, but it's always the risk of being an early adopter.

Biggzy
19-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Sorry but it definitely isn't a standard microUSB port. If you try to connect a standard cable you'll be disappointed because it won't fit.

N97 cable is on the right.

thats a mini USB on the left and a micro USB on the right.

bowman
19-06-2009, 06:59 PM
I concur with bowman, although I haven't used the stylus much yet to have any sort of opinion on it.

Me neither. I just fell in love with its' shiny metalness. :)

Oh, and my N97 locked solid an hour ago for no reason. Phone was closed and on the main screen, pressed the menu key and it locked. Tried everything but it was totally frozen. Had no choice but to pull the battery. I haven't even started installing my apps yet! :frown:

bowman
19-06-2009, 07:07 PM
thats a mini USB on the left and a micro USB on the right.

That's just what I said! :redface: Oops!

I've got dozens of gadgets and not one has a micro usb port! Well at least I've learnt something today - mini usb is not the same as micro usb. Now I'll just go and dunk my head under the cold tap to see if I can reduce the reddening and heat build up in my face.

Biggzy
19-06-2009, 07:19 PM

I've got dozens of gadgets and not one has a micro usb port! Well at least I've learnt something today - mini usb is not the same as micro usb. Now I'll just go and dunk my head under the cold tap to see if I can reduce the reddening and heat build up in my face.

lol its an easy mistake, cant wait till all mobile companies use micro USB, will be alot easyer for everyone.

jim_0068
19-06-2009, 07:21 PM
I like the N97 the form factor, the keyboard, but it has a whole bunch of simple annoying software issues that I'm surprised they released.

- The LOCK slider switch doesn't always turn on the back light when unlocking the phone, you have to do it a few times.

- The phone reboots if you use the browser too much

- The browser is still painful, I have an iPod iTouch and Apple did do their browser right, Its so much easier to use and you don't have to click 3 times to key in a field. Its one click and you are there. In the N97 I like writting, so I have to click the field, then click the keyboard, click that I want to use handwritten recognition. write what I want, click the check box, then click ok again to be returned to the web form. Too much typing/clicking

I also started a petition, only to see if others agree, but much of the code seems to be beta, it doesn't always work and you have to be gentle with it. Don't push it too much. So sign the petition of you feel Nokia should give us first purchasers a discount.

Oh and Nokia is deleting any uprising from their forums if you complain too much about the N97 buggy software

I quote

The discussion boards are a user-to-user troubleshooting forum. Nokia staff from various departments monitor from time to time, but this is not the place to solicit a direct response from Nokia.

If you require a direct reply from Nokia on any subject, you need to contact Nokia Care in your own country via the phone and e-mail links on the relevant Nokia web site.

We do not allow discussion about Petition signing or so on. Please refrain from posting such informations.

So don't try to push Nokia to do anything using their forums. They push back.

I agree with all of this, i have a NAM version. Also, coming from a windows mobile and iphone OS this is my 1st experience with Symbian S60 and let me know tell you the way it sets up the internet and access points to me is baffling. There is no intelligent switching and i can't understand how to make sure that whenever i'm on wifi that ALL APPLICATIONS are actually running on wifi. I do have wifi as priority #1 so i hope so but honestly i don't know which is highly annoying.

Another annoying thing is how LARGE the option buttons are in landscape mode. I measured it; you lose roughly 25% of your screen real esate to massive touch buttons; they could have been much much smaller. What is also baffling is how little room they take up in PORTRAIT mode but so much in landscape *shakes head*.

I think the on screen widgets are over blown; really. There is such little information being conveyed in them there are only a few useful ones so far imo: music player, shortcut links to your fav applications, favorites, accuweather and email. IMO the facebook widget is nothing more than a quick link to the application as far as useability goes.

Speaking of facebok; talk about a let down. This phone from things i've read was dubbed "The Facebook Phone" by Nokia and the S60 client for it is a real let down when compared to the iPhone's Facebook client. First the biggest problem is that i can't use it roughly 25% of the time because, randomly, facebook thinks i have the function button depressed and it just types those no matter what i do. I have to enter and exit multiple times for it to get back to normal. Also, when reading the "top stories" it doesn't show the photo of your friend just a stock little drawing of a person and whatever information is new. Also i personally like to bypass a lot of the "top stories" and just read status updates and reply to those but it is a too long of a cumbersome process. You have to click on friends, then status updates and they are listed BUT then to respond to any of them you have to click on your friend which then brings you to their actual page and then find their status update, click on that and then finally say something. Too many steps for something so simple. Also, there is NO CHAT integrated which is a let down.

Symbian's email client is very weak and i don't understand why it randomly disconnects. I did download nokia messaging and it works great and i do like it; however when using it i don't get on screen icon to let me know i have mail like with the normal email client. I have to either keep the email widget to know i have mail and then go into Nokia Messaging OR hope i am around when the notification happens.

As an aside; the other thing which i really can't excuse is no auto-correct for spelling/typing. Nada, zilch, zero, NOTHING. Unacceptable.

However there are other things that i absolutely love about the phone such as the keyboard. I did numerous typing tests between my iPhone and the N97 and generally, if comfortable, you will type faster on a soft keyboard but i was only about 5-7wpm slower on the N97 which i feel is fine because i REALLY LIKED have the feedback from a real keyboard. Ironcially though i find the keyboard difficult to use if you do not have key tones on; let me know explain. The keys themselves are very sensitive but don't have a lot of travel so it's difficult to know if you pressed the button or not if you don't have the key tones on, it is honestly night and day.

Nokia Maps is very cool and the speaker phone was loud enough for me to use the turn by turn directions in my car without any issues.

While i feel the browser is more eye appealing and laid out better on the iPhone but browser itself is more powerful on the N97 so it's a tough trade off. Do you live with more functionaliy and something not as pleasing to the eye or live with less functionality and something more intuitive and eye pleasing? However for me, for as much as the Symbian browser crashed on me i'll live with no flash and use my iPhone.

This is getting long winded and i really should do a proper review as i promised but i feel like if i do i'm going to get bashed because while it is a power house of a phone and can do so much more than my iphone can dream of doing i just find the N97 so frustrating to use i am returning it.

celios
19-06-2009, 08:06 PM

Don't worry - my first encounter with a microUSB port was on my e71. It's not widely used, but at least it is some kind of standard, unlike the old pop-port connector of bygone days!

Biggzy
19-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Don't worry - my first encounter with a microUSB port was on my e71. It's not widely used, but at least it is some kind of standard, unlike the old pop-port connector of bygone days!

lol the good ol pop-port, i hated it, id be walkin down the street with headphones on full blast and the pop-port would.. well, just 'pop-out' lol, and everyone would look at me as if i was some kind of loony, all good fun tho, glad the pop-port went, that was one of nokias best moves.

rdcinhou
19-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Many of my first impressions are already posted on this forum (see "Taking a giant step backward").

My Nokia 9300 was a heck of a lot more capable for message, data management than the N97. In that capacity I am disappointed.

I do like having a GPS and camera, though.

If the E90 hadn't gotten such bad reviews (poor camera, poor apps, weak battery, slow GPS) I might have gotten one of those, despite the price.

I'll probably keep the N97, but it will take a lot of work (and extra software) to catch it up to the functionality that I had on my 9300.

celios
19-06-2009, 08:16 PM
As an aside; the other thing which i really can't excuse is no auto-correct for spelling/typing. Nada, zilch, zero, NOTHING. Unacceptable.

Settings \ Phone \ Language \ Predictive text -> On

Use "Input option" underneath the Predictive text option to fine tune.

jim_0068
19-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Predictive text is not an auto correct feature; if i am typing and type "tipe" instead of "type" it isn't going to fix it. I am not the only one complaining about this.

However i have used the predictive text in portrait mode without issue but i would like nokia to update the N97 to also have the ability to use soft keyboards just like the 5800.

Biggzy
19-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Predictive text is not an auto correct feature; if i am typing and type "tipe" instead of "type" it isn't going to fix it. I am not the only one complaining about this.

However i have used the predictive text in portrait mode without issue but i would like nokia to update the N97 to also have the ability to use soft keyboards just like the 5800.

i agree, spelling correction and the ability for it to put full stops etc automaticly, that would be nice

zxon
19-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Does it really have to have auto-correction? That's like saying that your PC keyboard should have auto-correction as well. I for one think it's better that there's no correction of any kind, so that I'm free to type any way I choose, and I find it a little annoying that sometimes it automatically puts a capital letter at the beginning of sentences.

BTW I just typed this post using my N97 and I didn't have any problems :)

celios
19-06-2009, 08:50 PM

Ok, you didn't mean predictive text when typing on the keyboard, you mean auto correct (in the MS office sense). Got it.

I agree it would be nice, especially when you are typing quickly on the small keyboard and get characters for common words like "and" or "the" the wrong way around.

awysocki
19-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Believe me I understand your frustrations, my N97 has already locked up on me once forcing me to pull the battery, but it's always the risk of being an early adopter.

They didn't tell me that when I purchased the new phone, This is my first "first release" phone from Nokia, I have had others but never the first release. So I should have been warned, My manual even says "DRAFT DO NOT USE" I under stand that is an issue, but I do think if we get 10,000 names and send it to the TECH papers/new outlets, Nokia will have a media problem on their hands and will have to respond.

Even the apple iPhone on its first release didn't have these kinds of problems. I figured Nokia being a phone company for many years would have less than Apple.

I have till Monday to return my phone, but as I understand it they are charging a %15 restocking fee. I'm sorry but the Lock/Unlock slide doesn't work, to me that is a defect and I should not be charged a restocking fee.

jim_0068
19-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Does it really have to have auto-correction? That's like saying that your PC keyboard should have auto-correction as well. I for one think it's better that there's no correction of any kind, so that I'm free to type any way I choose, and I find it a little annoying that sometimes it automatically puts a capital letter at the beginning of sentences.

BTW I just typed this post using my N97 and I didn't have any problems :)

You are comparing a full sized keyboard versus a mini keyboard on a mobile device which isn't fair. And to add to that, yes most programs do have auto correct whether it is your mail client to your preferred office client. While it doesn't help people who can't spell all the time what it does do it speed up efficiency because you have people who spell well and type fast who might miss a letter because it's on a mobile device and the auto-correct is there to help you out.

Now i'm not saying all auto-corrects are perfect; iphone's isn't and imo android's is even better. But not having one at all is unacceptable imo. It forces me to do 1 of 2 things:

1) Type slower
2) Proof read

Both imo, on a mobile device, you shouldn't have to do either.

JohnnyN
20-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Interesting stuff, which confirms what I though about Nokia's venture into the touchscreen world. It simply isn't ready. I would sooner see a higher end 5800, but I suppose the N series has always been about bringing "concept" designs to reality. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It will be interesting to see what the next N series flagship will be like. I'd like a more media orientated phone, with a keyboard and WITHOUT the touchscreen.

emkwan
21-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Hi guys. Congratulations on those of you have purchased this great handset. Congratulations.

Although I didn't purchase the n97, I did have the previlage to be invited to Nokia flagship store with other bloggers to review the handset on the launch day.

These are some of my views. Consider the fact the the reviews are based on a blackerry users viewpoint. To what the videos click here. http://emkwan.wordpress.com

alchemist813
30-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Hi guys

Just got my new Nokia N97 but already there is one feature missing. Normally when you turn your phone to horizontal position you should have a landscape view. in my case it doesn't happen. I always get a vertical view.
But I get the landscape view when I open the keypad which is confusing me.

Any way to fix this or shall I send the phone back.

Thanks

cliveuk
30-06-2009, 03:36 PM
have you switched on the rotation sensor?

menu -> settings -> phone -> sensor settings, make sure sensors are on and auto rotate is ticked in turning control screen

alchemist813
30-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Hi cliveuk

Thank you ever so much. I changed the settings and it is working perfectly.

Much appreciated.

jay_jay_n
01-07-2009, 08:19 AM
only annoying issue is the unlocking a few times to get the backlight but overall love it especially since i got it for free + taxes with a new tmobile contract =) but tmobile really sucks for 3g compared to my n95 on att or hopefully its just a setting that needs to be changed.

d1v1d
01-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Very positive experience so far (first week). Not a single reset experienced yet; compares very well to my original N95 experience in May 2007 - I nearly returned the device because of buggy behaviour prior to the FW upgrades.

Just a couple of niggles and still have more learning to do -- the N97 is well on its way to becoming a seamless communication device - HSDPA, WiFi, GPRS etc. However, the transitions between WiFi and mobile network are still not fully automatic. Needing to better understand settings - I have the widgets on the home screen working on the Voda network - that works most of the time but when I use the tube, the widgets don't kick in automatically when back up to network coverage. I had trouble earlier this week in hand-offs from home Wi-Fi. An article on how to optimise hand-offs between WiFi and mobile networks would be very helpful.

Otherwise - very good reception and call quality - much better than other smartphones. Music player doesn't sound as good as the N95 but that is subjective - sounds tinny but maybe I need to tweak the equaliser, etc.

Camera performance is a BIG IMPROVEMENT. I did some test pics in the tube. Much quicker to focus, easy to switch off flash, and much sharper pics in low light.

nyqon
01-07-2009, 05:28 PM
As an ex-E90 user, everything is fine. Alot of eye-candy which helps with clients when you need to fill-in the odd silence in conversations.

The Best part is performance - I can actually surf online now without too much agony. Still needs tweaking.

The Bonus part is touchscreen - helps a whole lot cutting down the time of constant clicking buttons and cursor to navigate through menus/submenus.

The Stupid part is the keyboard...2 things:

1) No Ctrl button. Sorry, Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V and Ctrl + X are just too important on the Symbian OS. Ctrl should've been doubled up with the Sym key. As of right now, Sym + character writes special-character fonts which are no longer popular.

2) The full-stop requires Shift/Function + comma, whereas the comma should've been Shift + fullstop. Ideally Shift + spacebar so it can double up to write a comma and a spacing after.

These 2 things are essential if the phone is targetted for Facebook, Twitter, e-mail, etc. The majority of users today are using (or should be using) phone qwerty keyboards as they would with their PC keyboards. IPhone's OSS 3 has proven this.

Degriz
01-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Im loving mine at the moment, few niggles where bits of GUI havent been updated. Keyboard at the touch stuff all seem usable even with my banana like fingers. Iplayer runs like a total joy, impressed with the quality of the app. Just wants my firmware update...Anyone suggest the needed code for a uk voda to get updated? Changed to a uk non branded but of course weve not been cleared for the update in the uk yet :(
The beta OVI suite looks lovely and I hope the finish it in a bug free state..

Jimvti
02-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Its the screen that winds me up, the lines on it ( I guess to figure out where you are pressing ) are so apparent. Whats the point of putting a good quality screen on the phone and then covering it up. Does this bother anyone else?

Alarms - I use my phone as an alarm clock, but you can't put the phone in silent and have the alarm ring, so I end up turning it off at night. It is possible I am doing something wrong though, but my N95 8g does this very simply. If you leave the phone plugged in to charge overnight ( with phone off ) the screen stays white with the blue nokia logo. This has already started to burn on the screen.

I find opera mini crashes much less than the standard browser which seems to crash a lot for me.

Battery life, last less than a day, I do have facebook and other widgets running, but thats the major selling point of the phone, the battery should be able to run for at least a day.

Scrolling and nav using the touch screen is awful, after using a htc magic and an iphone it feels very poor.

Everything else is good. Deciding if I should send it back today.

Yolmol
02-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Alarms - I use my phone as an alarm clock, but you can't put the phone in silent and have the alarm ring, so I end up turning it off at night. It is possible I am doing something wrong though, but my N95 8g does this very simply. If you leave the phone plugged in to charge overnight ( with phone off ) the screen stays white with the blue nokia logo. This has already started to burn on the screen.

Simples:

Put the ringer volume on full but alert type to vibration or beep or something and it should work fine.

I used to have this setup on my N95. Agreed though, would make sense to have the alarm going when on quiet, but that said, if you have an alarm set and are going into a meeting with phone on silent- you wouldnt want it to ring would you!!!

Things I like -
touch screen.
keyboard (although taking a LOT of getting used to).
Facebook widget (even though I never use facebook - I am finding myself checking it a lot!).
Ability to have every single one of the songs I have ever ripped to PC/downloaded on one device

Things I dislike -
No left selection key - seriously, how often do you need to turn widgets offline or edit them? - Could this option not be accessed by holding down left selection key like voice dialing on right key?
No stylus (I'm not including the stupid USB thing as that is rubbish)
VERY buggy - considering 5th edition isn't exactly a brand new platform anymore - there are far too many bugs and glitches (likely to be smoothed out though)
Lack of firmware updates for uk carriers on release