View Full Version : Accuweather Widget

rdcinhou
17-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Has anyone been able to get their Accuweather widget to REMEMBER your location?

I've managed to get to lock up for 15-20 minutes while "searching for location" and then it gives a script error and goes back to the menu.

Rafe
17-06-2009, 06:26 PM
I've manually added a location and it stuck to that, but then I went back to the automatic one (just because its rather cool).

rdcinhou
19-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Following up on the AccuWeather widget:

1. In the search box...DON'T enter a ZIP code. The search is by CITY NAME. Don't add a state spelling or abbreviation.

2. When the SEARCH finally does come up (provided your screen doesn't blank out first!) use the D-pad to navigate. This widget (like many I've found so far) must have come from the S60 3rd edition world and the scroll "scrubber" on the screen doesn't necessarily work.

3. Finally you must use the SELECT CBA button on the screen to select.

Meanwhile, if you ever select SETTINGS, you will be kicked back to the widget not knowing where it is (it must clear the internal "Here" location).

This widget also seems to have regular problems talking to the GPS, often yielding a "Script alert: Unable to get your current location" or showing "Loading..." for extraordinarily long periods of time.

Is there a 3rd-party weather widget that performs better?

celios
19-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Having my own problems with accuweather! Managed to get a location selected - but it will never save it - and even though my "internet" destination has WiFi access points as priority 1 and 2, it seems to insist on using the 3G connection which is priority number 3.

This is a shocking widget to include by default on the home page!

celios
19-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Having my own problems with accuweather! Managed to get a location selected - but it will never save it - and even though my "internet" destination has WiFi access points as priority 1 and 2, it seems to insist on using the 3G connection which is priority number 3.

This is a shocking widget to include by default on the home page!

Have somehow fixed the problem I had. I think that when I first started my N97 the only available internet connection was via 3G/phone network. After adding various WiFi connections with higher priority, I removed the widget and then re-added it. Now it seems to be using WiFi... :)

rdcinhou
21-06-2009, 08:33 PM
I have my destinations using the WiFi points preferentially before 3G, but this Accuweather widget is still non-functional.

1. Doesn't save a location when you click on the "+" icon after finally getting a successful search.

2. The "Manage" tool is always ghosted out for me. Anyone able to get this silly program to behave properly?

I've a good mind to delete this program off of my N97 NAM completely.

allmine
21-06-2009, 08:42 PM
weird accuweather is actually one of the few apps that works perfectly on mine .

celios
21-06-2009, 09:08 PM
I have my destinations using the WiFi points preferentially before 3G, but this Accuweather widget is still non-functional.

1. Doesn't save a location when you click on the "+" icon after finally getting a successful search.

2. The "Manage" tool is always ghosted out for me. Anyone able to get this silly program to behave properly?

I've a good mind to delete this program off of my N97 NAM completely.

I gave up on it completely. Like yours, it seems to have a mind of it's own on my UK N97.

LJS
27-06-2009, 01:08 AM
The widget runs fine on my uk N97 after removing it and re-adding. It did have the same access point issue as above but seems ok now. The only issue I have with it is the constant connection, would be nice to have an option to only update every 1/2/5 hours or something. It doesn't use that much data I know but would still be a nice option to have.

rdcinhou
28-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Reporting another anomalous behavior of the Accuweather widget...

On the Home screen it was black (blank)....tapping on it opened the Calendar, but had the weather data as a To-Do item on the current day in the calendar.

Is that WEIRD or what?

Closing the display (calendar), I then went through the Menu->Applications->Accuweather route and brought up the expected full-screen Accuweather display. Selecting Options->Refresh restored the data so that on Exit, the proper data showed up in the widget on the Home screen.

Hasn't done it since....but...

plimsole boy
19-10-2009, 06:19 PM
i have only had my n97 for a week . sent it back as i could not delete video and picture files . kept telling me the files were open . when they wern't . accu weather just wouldn't work either .

replacement turned up today . that one is being exchanged tomorrow morning as it has a rattle when you touch any of the buttons . seems to be the vibrating alert motor .

so 3rd time lucky . i hope . fingers crossed .

ironass
27-11-2009, 10:41 AM
These are the settings that I use to get Accuweather to work.

1. Web > Options > Settings > General > Access point > Set to “Internet” (this is the destinations point in your Connectivity settings)
2. Web > Options > Settings > Web feeds > Acc. Point for auto update > Set to either your operators 3G or WAP settings (i.e. Vodafone Web or Wap)
3. Go to home screen and remove Accuweather and reboot the phone.
4. Now re-install Accuweather on the homescreen and allow it to access phone data when asked.
5. At this point it will try to get “Current Location”. This works best outside with a clear view of the sky. If unsuccessful then you will have to manually add a location. Some locations have as many as 4 entries and it is a case of trial and error as not all of them seem to work. Once you have a working location you can then set it as the default.
6. Should you require “Current Location” to be active on your phone then you can try installing Maps Booster from here:-

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/mapsbooster/

or download from the Ovi Store at a cost of £3.

Hope this helps.

dog-man
27-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Sadly, it still won't work for me. I always get script error.

dog-man

snoFlake
27-11-2009, 04:07 PM
If it's any help according to Micky at Nokia Users the FB and Accuweather widgets in the N97 mini are newer than those in Ovi and much improved (stability wise) and should be available sometime soon in Ovi store replacing currently available ones.

Ps how I wish Ovi sorted out having sperate category/folder for Widgets (another example of Nokia petty stupidity).

Discussion at Nokia Users (http://www.nokiausers.net/forum/nokia-n97/32118-n97-mini-facebook-widget-newer-than-facebook-ovi-store-edit-good-news-inside.html)

Video Goodness of Widgets on the mini (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PVWTJuHNVY)