View Full Version : BBC I Player

Chopper
17-06-2009, 08:47 AM
I see in the review of the N97 that BBC have added support fr this device to download programmes and watch offline. Installed the widget on my I8910 last night and can stream fine but unable to get the licence for downloaded programmes.

Anyone know how to do this?

stuclark
17-06-2009, 09:07 AM
If you're using the Orange firmware, then streaming is your only option.

If you're using the unbranded, updated firmware (review and instructions soon), then you can download as well as stream.

Oh, and make sure you have version 1.6.0 of iPlayer

Chopper
17-06-2009, 10:37 AM
On unbranded firmware and def have V 1.6 of IPlayer.

Can download but cant watch the programme.

Unable to get the Licence - how did you manage to get this?

Chopper
17-06-2009, 11:36 AM
If you're using the Orange firmware, then streaming is your only option.

If you're using the unbranded, updated firmware (review and instructions soon), then you can download as well as stream.

Oh, and make sure you have version 1.6.0 of iPlayer

Just seen you have given same reply in another forum.

Have you actually watched a downloaded programme offline or have you just seen the download option. You seem to be the only person who has cracked this.......

stuclark
17-06-2009, 12:16 PM
I did test this once, but I'll admit only once...

I'll give it another go later and see if it's still working for me

masonstorm
09-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Any suggestions, downloaded the 1.6.0 version and it worked fine, then yesterday when I launched the i player it asked to connect and set to default the Orange GPRS, there was no alternaitve option, so I clicked it.

Looked in the options for a way to change it back and there are no options!

Uninstalled it and re installed it, but it now will not recognise my wifi connection.

Nothing has changed with my wifi, the handset indicated good signal strength - any ideas?

rleader
09-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Hi - I'm on Orange xxIE2 firmware. Have had v1.6.0 installed since almost the first day (I've only streamed data, not tried download). I'm afraid I've not had your problem at all. My only issue with the iPlayer is that the menus infuriatingly do not drop down sometimes and take up to 10-20 secs, swiping with your finger, pressing on the screen, or whatever, & eventually it may drop down e.g. to reveal radio highlights, or whatever. Needless to say, I don't use the app on i8910, but use my iPod Touch instead. Another 'so close' i8910 attempt, just too annoying.

rleader
09-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Forgot to add - something constructive! -
in
Menu -> Settings -> Connectivity -> Destinations
(using the Options button I found some interesting settings, like Manage all your connections that are setup, etc. set the default)
It might be worth hunting about in this menu structure, and/or the Connectivity menus in general...
hope that helps...
oh, I think you can also 'force' a certain program e.g. GoogleMaps, to use a certain connection e.g. WiFi or 3G packet data, as its default... again, you'll have to play about as I can't remember how to do that, but I have come across it!

masonstorm
09-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks for that, hadnt been here. Although my wifi was set to priority 1 for internet, however in WAP services I only have 1 accss point - Orange GPRS - wonder if I install a WLAN access point under WAP services that will work?

Will have to wait till I get home to try that!

Cant find any options to force programs to use a particular connection though!

Cheers

rleader
09-07-2009, 12:10 PM
more - ok, I am sure that what you need is in there:
for what is worth - in this menu, which is called
"Network Destinations"
Menu -> Settings -> connectivity -> Destinations

I have:
Add new access point
then
Internet (4 access points) - each of my friends' WiFi as well as my own, that i have connected to
Multimedia msg (1 access point)
WAP services (1 access point)

at the top of this page, though, it says
Default: Always Ask.
(this is set by tapping Options button whilst on this page: set default: top option 'Always Ask')

I'm guessing but perhaps this may be what you need? So every time a program e.g. iPlayer, wants to connect, it will always ask you - & I choose, usually, WiFi or the 3G.
It is annoying to always do this, but it is the only way I am able to control, or make sure, when I am at home I am connecting to my WiFi. Before I was never too sure if I was going to use up my 3G packet allowance, rather than WiFi.
(ok, you found out when the WiFi icon did/did not appear, but this way you force the i8910 to ask you what connection you want!)
Good luck!

masonstorm
09-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Set to always ask as default - the problem is that i player only asks Allow connection to network

It has no options within the software itself to change anything. My wifi is set to priority 1 and its asks by default, it just doesnt ask which network.

It was working fine the other day. How do I do a full reset, so I can start again. Most of the software I have downloaded doesnt work anyway, so wont loose much.

rleader
09-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Hi again - I haven't done a full reset yet - but sure a HOWTO is in one of the threads here somewhere. Another idea might be to try & clear out any cache for the iPlayer app on the handset (C: or E: drive) (no idea where cache is for iPlayer as i have had no prob with it myself) NB someone recommended me to get Y-Browser from DrJukka.com and I used this to clear out the Podcasts app cache & this solved/solves the crashes of the Podcasts app (should you, under pain of death, decide to actually use the Podcasts app LOL)
Sorry I can't be of more help...

rleader
09-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Perhaps I have missed some setting somewhere, but the streaming qulaity of the iPlayer app v.1.6.0 on i8910 Orange UK xxIE2 firmware is truly awful - very blocky, albeit full screen and with reasonable sound - on the iPod Touch 2G it is very clear... does everyone get this low quality stream, even over Wifi?

masonstorm
09-07-2009, 12:51 PM
When I had it working the other day, the quality was suprisingly good, no glitches, although i dont have anything to compare it against - was def watchable.