View Full Version : 79 games added to Ovi Store in latest update

Tzer2
13-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Ovi Store has been updated again, and it seems the latest content push has added about 79 new titles to Ovi as well as more apps and other content. The list of new games is below, and you can see these for yourself by going to store.ovi.com and selecting the "Any Phone" option, then "Games", then "Newest - Oldest" from the drop down menu. By our reckoning Ovi Store has around 350+ different titles now available, with lots more still waiting to be added for various technical reasons. Note that not every game works on every phone, so if you select a particular model on Ovi Store you probably won't see every game on offer.

Read on in the full article (http://www.allaboutngage.com/news/item/9917_79_games_added_to_Ovi_Store_in.php).

mCrem
13-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Good to see some updates.

But let me guess.. How many of these are reasonably priced native apps? (.sisx) which are really worth our time, ala iphone, and not some crappy java port? I'm guessing somewhere around 15-25? I wasn't too happy with ovi store, I hope they pull themselves together, most of the stuff is not worth it, and there's a lot of crappy java ports going around.

Tzer2
13-06-2009, 05:12 PM
But let me guess.. How many of these are reasonably priced native apps? (.sisx) which are really worth our time, ala iphone, and not some crappy java port?

First of all, nowadays it is a big mistake to think native app=good and java=bad. I've made that mistake myself a lot in the past, and I totally admit I was totally wrong to dismiss Java. This isn't 2002 any more, Java games in 2009 can be just as playable as native applications, in fact the very best Java games are better than most native apps. On top of that, many native applications on iPhone and S60 are in fact just ports from java using the same game design and very similar multimedia assets. Go to any major phone game publisher and practically all their major titles are released on Java as well as native smartphone platforms.

Secondly, all phone game stores on all platforms (including iPhone) have loads of technically unimpressive stuff too, games like "hangman" and other stuff that is technically on a par with the Commodore 64. That's just the nature of phone game stores.

Thirdly, even if a simpler game isn't worth your time it might be very playable to someone else, so at least they've got the option of playing it if it's in the store. If you don't like something, ignore it, no one is forcing you to buy something just because it's available. But if simple casual titles carry on being available then clearly someone somewhere is buying them, so someone somewhere must appreciate what they offer.

Fourthly, bear in mind that Ovi Store isn't an S60-only service, it's also available for Nokia's Series 40 non-smart phones. A lot of games on offer will be Java because Series 40 phones are only compatible with Java.

I hope they pull themselves together, most of the stuff is not worth it

You've played 175+ of their games have you? Or are you just assuming that most of the stuff isn't worth it? :-)

Most of the titles I've played so far have been pretty good fun. I'm just playing Paris Nights right now and it's a really nice Sims clone, and while it won't win any graphics awards it is good fun to play.

Hih
13-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Nokia has bought AAS?

These latest OVI news are driving me nuts. Please save me from useless hype. :)

Nemoi
13-06-2009, 07:34 PM
why useless hype? AAS has actually been quite critical of the ovi store and the N97, more than I would have thought.

And the news ovi store is filling up with more games is an important point for deciding on a symbian device. Do you realise how many people are debating with themselves right now whether to get an iPhone 3GS (still a stupid name ;) or an N97 or an Omnia HD. And how many (me included) see the applications incl games as on of the most decisive points?

I'm still not sure completely sure with what to replace my e51, but I really appreciate AAS critical coverage on the ovi development. Now can you please also make Nokia realise that they need decent PC software and speed up with their ovi suite development ;)

eletrix
13-06-2009, 08:00 PM
the problem is that java applications should be avaible only for series 40.
and symbian application should be the only avaible for S60.

i think that with future S40 nokia phones with ovi store application out of box, nokia will make a lot of money.
but for those one who choose a 400-500 euro S60 nokia phone i think they want better applications.and not applications that can be played on 60 euro phone.and this is frustrating.
and please don't say a java application is better than a symbian application.
because the only applications which are better than symbian are old fashioned games like pacman-tetris-and good games like bobby carrot.

I really hope in a new wave of nokia touch phones with gaming capabilitis like
awsome samsung ommnia HD.(RESPECT for samsung that put everything on a phone)_(DISRESPECT for nokia that doesn't put everything on a phone nokia N97)

PS.FROM A 6 YEAR NOKIA BIG FANBOY.(afraid of going to an WinMO_OS X device)

what i really loved of nokia is one year ahead hardware.but today is one year behind software.

eletrix
13-06-2009, 08:26 PM
The iphone itself sucks a lot.(with 2007 hardware_even the 3gs)

but what makes it desirable is applications.i don't know why there are so much games and application.(if it is the way it is built_or the sdk)but the truth is that he has more applications that winmo_symbian has managed in all their lifetime_and please don't consider java)

in this nokia has a lot to improve.

doonit
14-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Well, it's the morning of Sunday 14 June. When I open Ovi Store, select "Newest-oldest" there are seven (7) items on desplay. That's rather pathetic, wouldn't you say? Other categories are as follows:
Applications=94 items
Audio&Video=10 items
Personalisation=4 items
Hilarious! This is the third or fourth time I've opened Ovi Store. I remain fundamentally un-impressed.
I'm in South Africa but the url is store.ovi.com so it shouldn't make a difference.
I thought the point of ovi is to centralise application shopping for Nokia owners? I can't think of any valid reason to ever open the site again

N/A
14-06-2009, 08:22 AM
The URL might be the same, but the content is also filtered by the country/operator and the device model (depending on where the content owner/publishers enables sales and on which devices; presumably only on devices they've tested and know where their content works so as not to disappoint the user).

doonit
15-06-2009, 08:46 AM
I have a N85. But nI've opened the site without logging in as well and its no different. :(

mCrem
15-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Secondly, all phone game stores on all platforms (including iPhone) have loads of technically unimpressive stuff too, games like "hangman" and other stuff that is technically on a par with the Commodore 64. That's just the nature of phone game stores.

Sure.. But does ovi store have AAA games like nfs undercover, Rolando, touch physics games, sims3, real racing etc that make up for the crap thats in the appstore? I think not.

Fourthly, bear in mind that Ovi Store isn't an S60-only service, it's also available for Nokia's Series 40 non-smart phones. A lot of games on offer will be Java because Series 40 phones are only compatible with Java.

Then what's the point of me paying a ton of cash for an s60 device when the majority of apps are available for s40 as well? I thought the whole point of s60 was having the ability to expand the software to include new features and functions to suit your needs. Clearly OVI store isn't helping with this. java apps are not that great on s60, regardless of what anyone says. native apps are however are more flexible.

If nokia doesnt work hard to get devs to develop better apps for s60, the ovi store will end up being a whole crapfest of java apps that accomplish nothing.

Nokia should push developers to develop native apps for s60 if it wants to push the platform forward, not to mention revising the whole pricing of apps which are ridiculous. the whole ovi store so far is a total flop. As much of a die-hard s60 fan I am, When someone brings up the argument of going for an iphone, I can't help but agree with him. Face it, a lot of people are going for iPhone because it is simple to use, the appstore is easily accessible and lets you download apps straight from your pc and tranfer them later.not to mention the tons of AAA apps and the attractive pricings and tons of free apps and demos. ( you can't compare java ports for the iphone to that of s60 as the iphone's ports are waaaaaaaaaaaay better)