View Full Version : Vodafone, 26th June

LJS
12-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Looks like Vodafone stores will be dishing out the N97 as from the 26th according to thier website.

So i called customer services to enquire about the cost of the phone as an upgrade and they replied with that magic word.......FREE!!!:)

So I will be marching on down to my voda store on the 26th to pickup my new shiny gadgetry.

sjdean
13-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Free doesn't mean a lot. What tariff were you on?

I was this close (insert finger pinching here) to ordering one on Vodafone, but I went out first and got a Sim Card and I got no reception at all. Then I did some number crunching and realised I could get an N97 cheaper than Vodafone by buying off contract and getting an O2 Simplicity. That's before the (hopeful) 75 cashback I've got.

LJS
14-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Over the contract period it's gonna cost me 180 more than i pay now and get the phone free. Dropping to the next tariff down would drop the cost to 120 BUT would mean having to pay 150 for the phone. The reception on vodafone for me is great too.(I do have a PAYG o2 sim for those just in case moments)

I suppose if I really did some major searching and number crunching i could probably find a much cheaper way around it but I've been with Vodafone for MANY years and the laziness of never having to update direct debits and payments has something to do with it :)

sjdean
14-06-2009, 10:05 AM
One thing, apparently Vodafone are renowned for late firmware updates and they even stop supporting the phones after a while and stop issuing new firmware.

This was one of the added reasons I decided to go with a phone direct from Nokia. No branding, guaranteed firmware updates.

What are your thoughts on that?

zxon
14-06-2009, 10:16 AM
I can't speak for Vodafone, but o2's firmwares were somewhat slow. The N95 I got was an o2 one (but thankfully all o2 phones are unlocked) so I changed the product key to a EURO1 key to get the updates. However this voids the warranty so, like sjdean, one of the reasons I went straight to Nokia is to get the latest updates without voiding my warranty.

LJS
14-06-2009, 11:33 AM
I have to agree that past experience with firmware and device support has been somewhat lacking with Vodafone.

Personally i have had no MAJOR issues but minor ones that last a while are just as frustrating. Even so, I'm still inclined to stick with Vodafone for now. After all, they could improve thier firmware/device support, couldn't they? :).

If the worst happens I'll hopefully find a way to throw the non branded firmware on but hope it never comes to that.