View Full Version : Nokia N97 only has 3.6 Mbps HSDPA! Looks like i won't be buying it then.

daz7
26-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Have other people noticed that a this phone only has a maximum 3.6 Mbps HSDPA connection. That is rubbish for a flagship phone that is ment to be a good all round communication device.

Most phones which sell at the same price as this or cheaper have a maximum 7.2 Mbps HSDPA connection which is twice as fast e.g Samsung Omnia HD or the Sony Ericsson Xperia x1 which is an old device now.

The Nokia N97 has old technology especially for a flagship phone. I want fast connection speeds for a phone of this price and when this phone only offers connection speeds half as fast as many other phones that's just not good. That's pretty much put me off buying this phone.

Nokia should reduce the price of this phone because the technology on it is old then it may be worth having. For the price that the Nokia N97 will sell for there are other better phones for the same price which offer much better and newer technology e.g Samsung Omnia HD.

mrochester
26-05-2009, 08:08 PM
I've never heard of a single person getting anywhere near 3.6mbps over a mobile network never mind 7.2. What makes you think that your internet connection will magically be faster just because the phone supports faster speed?

daz7
26-05-2009, 08:16 PM
If i had a choice between a phone that can go upto 7.2 mbps and a phone that can go upto 3.6 mbps i will definitely pick the phone that can go upto 7.2 mbps. The later will obviously have the faster connection even if you can't get the full 7.2 mbps. Any way you will be able to get 7.2 mbps speeds in the future so getting a phone now that can handle those speeds means that it will be more future proof.

SnaxMuppet
27-05-2009, 07:47 AM
If i had a choice between a phone that can go up to 7.2 mbps and a phone that can go up to 3.6 mbps i will definitely pick the phone that can go upto 7.2 mbps. The later will obviously have the faster connection even if you can't get the full 7.2 mbps.

WRONG!

Whatever makes you think that a faster phone will speed up the network? A slow network is a slow network whatever speed of phone you have and if there is little chance of even getting more than 3.6Mbps then why are you bothered?

OK, I take your point about future-proofing but it is of little consequence in reality. How quickly do you think that the networks will upgrade their equipment to faster equipment? Don't you think that inside 2 years most people with a N97 will be already thinking about upgrading to the next generation of phone? I only ever keep my phone for 1-2 years so having technology on it that I can't use for several years in totally irrelevent.

RogerPodacter
27-05-2009, 09:26 PM
i bet there are more 7.2Mbps networks out there, or close to relase, than you think. even here in the USA the carrier ATT is launching 7.2Mbps this year, which pretty rare for any carrier in the states to be ahead of the curve, especially ahead of the UK networks.

and besides, to upgrade a wCDMA network from 3.6Mbps to 7.2Mbps and beyond, it is nothing more than a software upgrade to cell site equipment. meaning that its very very easy to double air interface capacity once they decide to do it. so there could theoretically be an explosion of carriers bumping up to 7.2Mbps before we even know it. i see no reason why nokia didnt account for this. but then again, they forgot to bump up RAM, forgot CPU, and forgot a few other things with the n97. so i certainly am not surprised that the wireless chipset is somehow not the highest spec possible.

bchliu
29-05-2009, 01:34 PM
There are.. Telstra Australia prides on a full 7.2Mbit - but if you stand like right next to the tower or something.. :) hahahah

Seriously though.. thats a very very funny excuse not to get one. I can understand about the CPU, memory, camera, 3D acceleration, usability or even "I hate Nokias"..

but "oh.. I cant get my 200KB document 1 second faster.. because my phone is not 7.2Mbit".. really takes the top. :)

Actually.. good to raise this point that I used to our Telstra sales manager for our organisation -
Since Telstra is one of the most expensive for data in Australia (like $30USD for 300MB), giving such a high speed is like giving you a Ferrari to drive around in school zone areas (40kmph maximum). Its a joke seriously..