View Full Version : N-Gage review - Need for Speed: Undercover

slitchfield
27-03-2009, 05:28 PM
It might be a long running series, but is Need for Speed's first appearance on the N-Gage worth the wait? Ewan doesn't think so, remarking that the controls are sluggish, the graphics barely adequate and a sense of fast racing realism non-existent. Despite these flaws, he still feels that there's a good game buried without, waiting to get out. Here's the Need for Speed review, but comments welcome if you've bought it or tried it.

Read on in the full article (http://www.allaboutngage.com/news/item/9212_N-Gage_review-Need_for_Speed_U.php).

Tzer2
27-03-2009, 05:36 PM
I thought the graphics were pretty good myself... certainly better than the Asphalt games. I know the NFS screenshots look a bit bland but the game runs very smoothly compared to Asphalt.

Ah well, this is why we have several reviewers. :-)

A lot of people clearly do want racing games on N-Gage though, as Asphalt 3 seemed to be in most weeks charts. IMHO Nokia should bring back Glimmerati for a new generation.

Tzer2
27-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Totally agree with Ewan here though:

Part of you might be thinking that this is the best N-Gage can do, and that's how portable racing games will be. Well you're wrong, because I can remember Colin McRae Rally on the original N-Gage. Less memory, less CPU power, smaller screen size, but a far more visual game, one that led you to believe you were going just a touch too fast, with very accurate controls. There's simply no excuse for Need for Speed Undercover on the N-Gage to be so... average!

Also, if you look at System Rush Evolution on next gen, that too manages to produce higher quality high speed graphics than Asphalt or NFS.

And guess what, SRE and Colin Mcrae both had the same developer, Ideaworks3D.

Maybe they should be given the task of doing another racing sim...

ccraig
27-03-2009, 06:29 PM
my hope for a good 3rd party racing game is the 1 coming soon from fishlabs they make great java games with some of the best graphics i've seen for java
i guess we'll have to wait and see if they will end up being another EA or not, by that i mean just porting same game with no changes at all
the impression i get though they take a lot of pride in there games so i hope that carry's over when developing for n-gage

Tzer2
27-03-2009, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't mind if the fishlabs games stayed the same graphically, as they already look pretty good. What I'd want is for them to make some proper use of the Arena.

For example their space trading game could be very interesting if it existed in a shared game world with others.

rysonvt
28-03-2009, 06:55 PM
I have non n-gage version of Need for Speed and the graphics look better. I have it installed on my N95 which I know has a 3D chip in it so I think that the non n-gage version must be 3D accelerated. Its the only explanation for the change in graphics.