View Full Version : How long will the 5800 keep improving with future firmware?

max_gradient
01-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Hey guys,

we all know the 5800 is a great phone, but most ppl also agree that right now it's not perfect yet (single touch vs. double touch in lists etc.).

I'm new to the Symbian world and my question is, will Nokia continue to provide S60 5.0 functionality updates for the phone for a long time, or will they at some point turn their attention to the newer S60 5.0 phones coming out and the S60 on the 5800 will not be updated any longer?

In the past, did all phones (even the older ones) running the same platform profit from Symbian upgrades?

I'm thinking about buying but don't want to be stuck with an immature product.

Thanks for you help,

Max

ahmedjhang
01-03-2009, 02:33 PM
i believe that firmwares will continue for a long time till they get it absolutely right. there are some phones which are not even sold in the market; yet, they continue to get firmware updates. and s60 v5, and im not sure on this, whenever updated will have affect all s60v5 phones not just one particular phone. hope this helped....:D

max_gradient
01-03-2009, 07:49 PM
It did help indeed and is much appreciated!

I'm glad to hear that even "older" phones profit from FW updates, and take it they will keep improving the 5800 for quite some time to come, which is very reassuring for me as a prospective customer.

bartmanekul
02-03-2009, 09:14 AM
If you look at the history, the more popular the phone has been, the more updates it got. Just look at the N95's, they got masses of updates, more than most (possibly all) other Nokias.

Since the 5800 is extremely popular AND their first true touchscreen device, I would expect a lot of updates for it.

N/A
02-03-2009, 10:41 AM
The firmware updates tend to stop around the time (or soon after) the manufacturing of the model stops (when you no longer can buy it).

Some models "live" for a year, some for two, some longer.