View Full Version : Expired Certificate

nitro fan
13-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Almost every time I try to install Trial SW from Handango I get the following message on the handset "Expired certificate!" anyone have any idea what is going on ?:mad:

ccraig
13-02-2009, 01:50 PM
i have same kind of problem except its every single app out there what it says it on
only thing i can install is iplayer lol
even nokias own recomendations from download app wont install ,
great 1st 1 hour i'm having with it NOT lol

aktotyt
13-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Almost every time I try to install Trial SW from Handango I get the following message on the handset "Expired certificate!" anyone have any idea what is going on ?:mad:
Oh,that is a very little problem:o
Just change your year to one back,if it doesnt work one more:rolleyes::ciao:
:rock:

coffeecat
13-02-2009, 07:03 PM
I had this problem (not initially, but after a few days). Couldn't even install Adobe PDF reader or anything. :mad:

A quick google found it seemed to be a common bug on the 5800, and the best advice (albeit NOT guaranteed to work...) was to do a kind've hard reset back to factory settings.

eg: http://www.walkernews.net/2009/01/20/how-to-fix-nokia-5800-expired-certificate-error-during-sis-installation/

For me, this has (so far) fixed the problem, although it was a huge PITA because then I had to spend a couple of hours "rebuilding" my phone in terms of settings, profiles, themes, software etc etc.

Oh, and changing the clock date is almost guaranteed NOT to work.

It's a weird bug because quite a few people seem to have it, but presumably many many more people don't have it.

CC

ccraig
14-02-2009, 12:42 AM
formatting don't change a thing guys ,that was 1st thing i tried before writing earlier post
the not being able to install anything at all seems to be a UK variant problem only and i just found out from Cal on ngage site he had same problem and only way to solve it is by selecting a different location to UK ,he says it works if u format then choose hong kong .
this is a bug effecting ppl selecting UK as there location it seems ,
all the ppl reporting this bug on nokia discussions site all have a UK variant with product code 0575581 same as me

nitro fan
15-02-2009, 01:59 PM
I have tried the following:

Updating the Firmware from V11.0.008 to V11.0.009
Reset the phone to factory settings

But I still have the Expired Certificates problem.

What do we do? emailing the support section of the Nokia site elicits nothing more helpful than a standard template email reply.

So it is clear that Nokia are NOT only not reading any of the emails Nokia are clearly NOT interested in solving the problem, and I thought Sony Ericsson were bad:frown:

My next port of call is going to be T-Mobile as they supplied the phone, What is everyone else doing?

coffeecat
15-02-2009, 04:28 PM
If I were a developer, I'd be thinking twice about investing in developing software for S60 5th / the 5800, if some big chunk of the potential customer base would never buy my products because their (so called smart) phones were actually incapable of installing any new software.

I can't believe Nokia can let this one go on for long...!

CC

nitro fan
15-02-2009, 04:54 PM
If I were a developer, I'd be thinking twice about investing in developing software for S60 5th / the 5800, if some big chunk of the potential customer base would never buy my products because their (so called smart) phones were actually incapable of installing any new software.

I can't believe Nokia can let this one go on for long...!

CC

At the moment I am struggling to understand how nobody seems to want to acknowledge there is a problem.

*The developers rightly say we cant help
*Nokia just put up a barrier to stop themselves hearing that there is a problem!
*So far my operator is unable to advise me further than direct me to a Nokia service centre.
*So far the service centre (who have been great) can say no more than its a bug! but they cant help me.:frown:

BUT I suppose we have to expect teething troubles with a new OS however this has been out there since November 08 and the clock IS ticking
Especially as the major operators in Europe are taking the device. I remember only too well the debacle of the Sony Ericsson P990 and the damage that did to Sony Ericsson's smartphone market.

IF you are taking a look at this forum Nokia please take note it is NOT good customer service to ignor the fact some of your customers have a real problem if it is not solved soon I can live without the 5800xm Samsung have some great offerings out there now so over to you Nokia.

ccraig
16-02-2009, 02:47 PM
i jchanged my product from the UK variant to euro1
then flashed my phone to v20 and problem is solved
you have 3 choices
1.i heard that formatting phone memory without having your memory card plugged in solved it for some
2.change your product code to euro1 and update firmware to v20(i did that problem solved)
3.wait it out for v20

nitro fan
16-02-2009, 05:10 PM
i jchanged my product from the UK variant to euro1
then flashed my phone to v20 and problem is solved
you have 3 choices
1.i heard that formatting phone memory without having your memory card plugged in solved it for some
2.change your product code to euro1 and update firmware to v20(i did that problem solved)
3.wait it out for v20

What does "changed my product" mean please how come you have V20 I flashed min on Saturday and I have V11.0.009 I must have missed something HUGE on Sunday is all I can say! I will give it another go tonight.

ccraig
17-02-2009, 03:15 AM
it was meant to say "changed my product code " you just use an pc application and write in a new product code in place of your own
if u write in a code what already as v20 firmware then it will allow u to update to v20

nitro fan
17-02-2009, 10:41 AM
it was meant to say "changed my product code " you just use an pc application and write in a new product code in place of your own
if u write in a code what already as v20 firmware then it will allow u to update to v20

That sounds interesting, How do I go about changing the product code please:)

nitro fan
18-02-2009, 12:19 PM
At last some light on the horizon:)
My local Nokia Service centre has told me they can help so that is where I shall be on Saturday morning, they were so good last time I upgraded my better half (that is what she claims she is!) to a 5800 so I am hoping for great things! They wrere notimpressed when I repeated what the Nokia Care people in god knows where were telling customers all 5800 are faulty and should return them to a service centre:cool:

nitro fan
20-02-2009, 04:47 PM
I am stunned, not only did Nokia get a Techie to call me the advice he gave me WORKED! I can now install applications.

this is what I was advised to do:

1. Do a backup to the memory card via file manager
2. then type in the following code *#7370# (you will need the unlock code 12345)
3. the phone will reset
4. When the phone restarts you MUST set up the Time Zone- Location- etc

Worked a treat for me:)

fikhl
21-02-2009, 02:11 PM
I had this problem (not initially, but after a few days). Couldn't even install Adobe PDF reader or anything. :mad:

A quick google found it seemed to be a common bug on the 5800, and the best advice (albeit NOT guaranteed to work...) was to do a kind've hard reset back to factory settings.

eg: http://www.walkernews.net/2009/01/20/how-to-fix-nokia-5800-expired-certificate-error-during-sis-installation/

For me, this has (so far) fixed the problem, although it was a huge PITA because then I had to spend a couple of hours "rebuilding" my phone in terms of settings, profiles, themes, software etc etc.

Oh, and changing the clock date is almost guaranteed NOT to work.

It's a weird bug because quite a few people seem to have it, but presumably many many more people don't have it.

CC
Thanks for the tip man! I'll try it and hopefully it'd work!
EDIT: It worked! A huge thanks to allaboutsymbian community! and shame on you Nokia...

nitro fan
22-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the tip man! I'll try it and hopefully it'd work!
EDIT: It worked! A huge thanks to allaboutsymbian community! and shame on you Nokia...

Hi I actually got a call back from a genuine techie at Nokia

(albeit a week after I wrote to them and had the moron from the black lagoon tell me that ALL 5800 handsets were faulty and needed to be returned to a Nokia service centre when he simply could not understand enough English to grasp my problem!)

He told me to do a full reset but made it very clear "You MUST be certain to re-enter ALL the location and time information" this solved the certificate problem but NOT the clock losing time problem!
This tells me there is a fundamental problem with the timing system of the phone. I hope this can be solved with a FW update and its not a hardware fault in the CPU

wolfy1
15-11-2009, 03:15 PM
just thought i'd let you know the sony erricson has this prolem also. cannot install anything i've signed. tried format and remove memory card,time date settings, cannot change location of phone or turn it on without sim card in..stumped..