View Full Version : 5800 problems

project8570
29-12-2008, 04:55 AM
I have had this phone for about 2 weeks and I've come across 2 major problems. Firstly I have found that the battery life is not particularly good. I can barely get a full day out of it and I don't believe that I am using it excessively. I use it for a little web browsing over wi-fi and music over the loud speakers and it is down to 1 bar by the end of the day. I've read that other people are getting up to 3 days out of it so I find this very disappointing! Does anyone else have this problem? My second issue with the phone, and probably the one that I find the most concerning is the issue of not being able to hear a person clearly when I'm on a phone call. I've read that other people are also facing this problem. At first I thought it may have been software related and somehow due to the proximity sensor but I'm starting to think that it is hardware related. I've found that if I push the phone really hard against my ear that the problem is solved. My particular phone is also one that has a gap in the top right corner where light escapes. I think that this may have something to do with it. If I put pressure on the gap, and close the gap while I'm on a call, then I can hear the other person ok. So I'm just wondering if other people who have this phone and have the gap in the top right hand corner are also having the problem of the volume level during phone calls. I'm afraid it's a major hardware problem!

demowayne
30-12-2008, 12:44 PM
The ear piece volume sometimes goes on mine. I find that just moving the position on my ear slightly fixes it rather than pressure. I assume its to do with the sensor maybe.

I'm not sure about the 'gap' you mentioned, I don't have any light escaping anywhere.

the_gunners
31-12-2008, 12:05 AM
my 5800 have the same ear speaker phone problem, while making call or receiving calls suddenly the ear speaker volume goes very low some times and some times its normal, usually it happens after +/- 5 minutes call... :mad:

nwit
03-01-2009, 10:24 AM
pls tell me about the quality of 5800 speakerphone. thanks

project8570
04-01-2009, 03:16 AM
I tried this and it worked. No more earpiece problem! :)
http://www.symbian-freak.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27394

spankydean
10-01-2009, 03:45 PM
I just did this on my 5800 too. Solved the problem. Be careful opening it though, i had a couple of scary moments when i thought the front cover was going to snap. Oh and be careful bending the contacts too, they are VERY delicate!!!!

Good luck......... :icon14:

colonel
14-01-2009, 02:29 PM
I tried this and it worked. No more earpiece problem! :)
http://www.symbian-freak.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27394

nice, but no way am I doing this.
I'll send it straight back and get a good one.
Nokia should fix this on going out.

The qu is should I stop my pre-order (in the UK) until this is solved ? Nokia says it will ship in 2-3 weeks - i wonder if they will fix this by then ?

valerebel
15-01-2009, 07:39 PM
my 5800 have the same ear speaker phone problem, while making call or receiving calls suddenly the ear speaker volume goes very low some times and some times its normal, usually it happens after +/- 5 minutes call... :mad:

Does anyone know whether Nokia are aware of this and if so, are they taking any remedial action for new batches being produced.

Please tell us Nokia!

colonel
16-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Does anyone know whether Nokia are aware of this and if so, are they taking any remedial action for new batches being produced.

Please tell us Nokia!

They released the phone in Nov/Dec in the far east. Some of these seem to have the fault. Also a firmware upgrade was released in Dec fixing some software bugs. I expect the UK version (or am hoping) will have both the new firmware and also will have fixed the ear issue. Although apparently they also released early in spain for some reason.

Note that the earpiece issue is HARDWARE and not software. If you get one of these (earpiece volume mysteriously goes very low and sometimes gets loud again intermittantly) just take it back for a swap.

Many manufacturers test first in the asia-pacific. I think Europe is regarded, especially the UK, where they least like to have problems.

fingers crossed !