View Full Version : Setup N85 - for newbies

Robotrobbie
10-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Hi All,
I just got a brand spanking N85. Lucky me. The thing is I know nothing about the symbian scene so i was wondering whether you would impart your wisdom on me a poor newbie. I am looking specifically for what an expert would do to setup their phone.
Are there any specific settings you would set. Or applications you would run or hacks you would do. If there are any guides please include a link to them .

Thanks in anticipation

Ps. Do I need to worry about NSS and Product Codes ?

radical24
10-12-2008, 08:16 PM
the nss and product codes you only need to worry about if you want to have lets say : you have an asian product code and you want to change it to euro1 because you want to get the latest updates quickly, i think you can also obtain language packs based off of product code, i am sure that there are others that know much more about nss and product codes, but that is what i use nss for with my phones

pennas
11-12-2008, 09:57 PM
First thing I would do is customise the standby screen. Settings / General / Personalisation / Standby Mode, select your favourite apps for shortcuts.

With the N85, you'll also want to enable a decent screensaver in Settings / General / Personalisation / Themes / Power Saver (I use 'Now Playing', it's great ;)).

RogerPodacter
12-12-2008, 12:34 AM
someone just made this same thread but it was for their n96. search for that thread, cause it literally had lots of really good info from everybody on setting up their new symbian phone. someone even summarized at the end of the thread.

subhashjo
03-01-2009, 02:37 PM
someone just made this same thread but it was for their n96. search for that thread, cause it literally had lots of really good info from everybody on setting up their new symbian phone. someone even summarized at the end of the thread.

Could you post a link to the thread you've mentioned.. I've searched this entire forum but still have managed to not come across it..

thanks in advance!

RogerPodacter
08-01-2009, 12:06 AM
its been weeks now so the thread is probably back a page or 2. its definitely there just look for it. i dont know where it is anymore.

Sajmondk
08-01-2009, 06:32 AM
I think it could be this one?:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79617

subhashjo
08-01-2009, 06:30 PM
woot... woot...

really love the remote phone lock option!

is it there in the N85? if not, is there any 3rd party application that does the same thing?

thanks again..

GordonShowers
08-01-2009, 09:36 PM
really love the remote phone lock option!

is it there in the N85?

Yes, it is :)

RogerPodacter
09-01-2009, 09:53 PM
I think it could be this one?:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79617

yea that was the thread i was thinking of. at least its a start:)

reaveredge
25-01-2009, 12:43 PM
hi everyone,

I would like to know how to "debrand" an n85.

I'm planning on buying an N85 from vodafone but would like to clean up any apps installed. Will updating the firmware clean up the phone and make it work like a generic and unbranded one?

bbracer16valver
27-01-2009, 10:18 PM
get the bbc iplayer for sure and update it before you start using it alot ;)