View Full Version : Top 5 Apps for N85 - For newbies

Robotrobbie
10-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi All,
I just got a brand spanking N85. Lucky me. The thing is I know nothing about the symbian scene so i was wondering whether you would impart your wisdom on me a poor newbie. I am looking specifically for GOOD applications, so for that reason i ask you all to list your top 5 apps. They can be anything.
Please just list your top 5 apps. No flaming here just list your own top 5 apps. Free would be nice :)

Thanks in anticipation

E.g.
1. Top Shell - File Management
2. Beeble Bobble - Email Client
3. More Picky - Photo Program
etc...

dorisall
10-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Shazam ID - recognizes music playing

radical24
11-12-2008, 03:03 AM
one app that i never leave home without is the screenshot app.
http://www.antonypranata.com/screenshot

ofcourse for me
opear mini
skyfire browsers
calsyncs60- syncs my google calendar
www.s60addons.com
s60 ticker. email, message etc notifier basic version is free http://s60ticker.stoeger-it.de/
that should be enough for you to explore for now and all of these should work on the fp2 although s60 ticker was kind of goofy the first time i installed it so give it a try and see if any of these app are to your liking

l1nknp4rk
11-12-2008, 07:59 AM
you got shazam id to work on ur n85? i cant get mine running properly, after recording a piece of music and trying to connect it just gives me some error about the system.

jonek
11-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Personally...

1. BestProfiles - Profile manager (small charge)
2. Calcium - Usable calculator (free)
3. fring - IM inc. Skype (free)
4. Y-Browser - File manager (free)
5. Office Reader - Open source document reader (free)

There's a longer list of apps I always install straight out the gate, but there's a healthy cross-section.

ffcphone
11-12-2008, 07:30 PM
I'd include:-

Monilink (UK only) - enables you to view current bank balance and mini statement (multi-bank platform)
Google Maps - more user friendly than Nokia Maps 2
BBC iPlayer (UK only) - stream or download to watch later BBC programmes
Sky Anytime (UK only) - send "remote record" instructions to your Sky+ box
SymSMB 4 - stream media files from another PC connected on your WiFi

F

pennas
11-12-2008, 10:04 PM
First 5 apps on my phone would be:

Calcium (excellent free calculator)
Mobbler (last.fm scrobbler)
Google Maps
BBC iPlayer
S-Tris 2 (tetris clone, brilliant, addictive!)

A couple of other brilliant apps, if you happen to need the functionality.. not free though:

TomTom
Slingplayer
FaceWarp (java app: take a pic of someone then warp their face!)

dorisall
11-12-2008, 10:06 PM
you got shazam id to work on ur n85? i cant get mine running properly, after recording a piece of music and trying to connect it just gives me some error about the system.

Go options -> settings -> Audio allerts off

RogerPodacter
12-12-2008, 12:32 AM
there are tons of must have apps, many free, but i'm too lazy to list them. they've been covered in many other threads, so search for the old threads. i realize that n85 is a FP2 phone, so there might be some compatibility issues. but still most apps should still work. check the n95 forum for similar threads where newbies ask what are the top apps that people use on their n95s. same will apply to your n85.

handy taskman
google maps
conversations (prob doesnt work yet for n85. coming soon)
smartlight
nokia sports tracker
beeper
garmin
total recall
opera mini
emtube
slick
mweather
nokia email beta
nokia chat

Jayd
12-12-2008, 05:34 PM
What version of Opera mini do you lot use, I can't see the N85 on there and the built in browser does my head in. Secondly with Fring do you all leave it constantly connected and how does that effect your battery life?

kontraband
12-12-2008, 07:43 PM
I wouldnt leave Fring connected all the time as it will drain the battery, as anything thats on wifi will...

FYI, theres a full apps thread in the N95 forum as a sticky... clearly not all of them will work on the N85 but theres links to them and possibly a FP2 version