View Full Version : Nokia Maps 3.0 beta not compatible with N96 yet !

radical24
02-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Go figure, 3.0 is compatible with FP2 phones except for N96, they are working to rectify the situation however as it stands, flagship gets a shaft....what do you say ?

Flip95
02-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Installed and working fine, still not a patch on TomTom tho!

Where did you get your info that it's not compatible?

bartmanekul
02-12-2008, 05:08 PM
On beta labs, they recommend not putting on the N96 as it has some 'issues', though they dont say what.

radical24
02-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Maps 3.0Beta works with all Nokia devices based on S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 except N96, where we have still known compatibility issues. S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1 support coming soon.

MapsBeta on Ovi works on IE6 (Windows XP), IE7, Firefox 2 and Firefox 3 (Windows XP or Vista). Give feedback

source: nokia betalabs site/compatability

so yes it may work with issues

Flip95
02-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Maps 3.0Beta works with all Nokia devices based on S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 except N96, where we have still known compatibility issues. S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1 support coming soon.

MapsBeta on Ovi works on IE6 (Windows XP), IE7, Firefox 2 and Firefox 3 (Windows XP or Vista). Give feedback

source: nokia betalabs site/compatability

so yes it may work with issues

Interesting.

45 mile drive home for me - I'll use Maps and let the forum know if I spot anything.

munkiii
02-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Go figure, 3.0 is compatible with FP2 phones except for N96, they are working to rectify the situation however as it stands, flagship gets a shaft....what do you say ?

*cough* http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/02/nokia-unveils-flagship-n97-phone/ *cough*

Nokia's got a new Flagship as of today.

radical24
02-12-2008, 07:42 PM
*cough* http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/02/nokia-unveils-flagship-n97-phone/ *cough*

Nokia's got a new Flagship as of today.

technically yes, however because it has not been released and we might wait for another six months or so before it actually hits the streets, the N96 still remains a flagship at least on the 'street, hands on' level ;)

seki
02-12-2008, 09:49 PM
installed ok .. but failed to run .. kept crashing with a System Error! would be interested to know if anyone has got this working on N85.

Now I have no working Nokia Maps program on my N85 .. since I can't do a firmware flash to fix it.. :(

radical24
03-12-2008, 12:16 AM
yep works like a charm on mine so far, no issues, pretty fast load up and lock in position, will keep you posted but works great for now

seki
03-12-2008, 01:06 AM
yep works like a charm on mine so far, no issues, pretty fast load up and lock in position, will keep you posted but works great for now

I have had nothing but problems with it .. and I hate OVI with a passion ..
No N85 support .. it doesn't know my time-zone .. it wrecked a healthy installation of PC Suite.

FFS Nokia hurry up with a damn Firmware for the N85 so I can at least flash it back to square one. :mad:

radical24
03-12-2008, 03:56 AM
yeah ovi does not work for me, its a headache, but i downloaded the maps it was all good for a moment, no really big changes and then it crashed with a passion, i thought that situation was hopeless but with hard reset restored my baby back to life....will take a step back from maps for a moment

Flip95
03-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Like I said, i'd try driving with it for 45 miles last night. Failed miserably. Phone crashed, full reboot - and maps hasn't been stable or usable since.

Interestingly enough, it was working in the office before I started driving home. I had some great 3d pictures of the centre of Manchester (UK).

Re: Seki.

Just re-install nokia maps 2.0 - it appears to remove the beta.

seki
03-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Like I said, i'd try driving with it for 45 miles last night. Failed miserably. Phone crashed, full reboot - and maps hasn't been stable or usable since.

Interestingly enough, it was working in the office before I started driving home. I had some great 3d pictures of the centre of Manchester (UK).

Re: Seki.

Just re-install nokia maps 2.0 - it appears to remove the beta.

Maps 2.0 is installed but I still have the Smart2Go label on the app and the generic # icon .. instead of the Maps label and the globe icon.

Are you suggesting I re-reinstall 2.0 ?? :)

Flip95
03-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Sorry Seki, I was wrong.

The reinstall of v2.00 maps does not fix the problem.

I've tried reflashing my f/w - that didn't solve it either.

Anyone any bright ideas?

seki
04-12-2008, 04:40 AM
Sorry Seki, I was wrong.

The reinstall of v2.00 maps does not fix the problem.

I've tried reflashing my f/w - that didn't solve it either.

Anyone any bright ideas?

So try it again .. maybe ?? :)

bartmanekul
04-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Not nice, but if all else fails....hard reset?

seki
04-12-2008, 09:26 AM
didn't need to backup or restore a thing .. in this "crossgrade" Of course I took a backup as a matter of course but I didn't need it.

I did need to run the FW updater twice though...

first time gave me the phone back with 15mins left .. it was hung .. (I left it for 4 hours!) .. so I killed it .. restarted the process again. :)

ricsko
04-12-2008, 11:58 AM
didn't need to backup or restore a thing .. in this "crossgrade" Of course I took a backup as a matter of course but I didn't need it.

I did need to run the FW updater twice though...

first time gave me the phone back with 15mins left .. it was hung .. (I left it for 4 hours!) .. so I killed it .. restarted the process again. :)
Hi , I had the same problem installing maps 3.0 to N96 (RM247 11.101) The PC says it's okay but I fail to start the application it says "system error" while loading. It is really annoying, what shall I do now? I also reported the bud to Nokia via Ovi, I excited about the answer.

seki
04-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Hi , I had the same problem installing maps 3.0 to N96 (RM247 11.101) The PC says it's okay but I fail to start the application it says "system error" while loading. It is really annoying, what shall I do now? I also reported the bud to Nokia via Ovi, I excited about the answer.

Open File manager on the phone ..
delete the cities folder from the card
delete the qf file from the card
install http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/global/phones/software/Nokia_Maps_2.0_4503_3.2_u.sis
grab any maps you need using the map loader

Don't touch Maps 3.0 again until its released for the N96 / N85 properly :)

ricsko
05-12-2008, 07:16 AM
finally I received answer from ovi, please find below :

Hi Richard,

Thank you for emailing Nokia Careline.

I would recommend that you uninstall the Nokia Maps 3.0 Beta from your mobile phone. You may do this by following the steps below:

1) On your mobile phone, go to the "File Manager" application found in the "Tools" menu
2) In the "File Manager" application, delete the "cities" folder and the "qf" file on the memory card

After uninstalling Maps 3.0, you can reinstall Maps 2.0 on your mobile phone. You may do this by referring to the steps below:

1) Go to to download Nokia Maps 2.0 and Maploader
2) Reinstall Nokia Maps 2.0 on your mobile phone by using our PC Suite software
3) Once you have reinstalled Nokia Maps 2.0 on your phone, please startup the application
4) Use Map Loader 2 to redownload the maps data to your mobile phone

I hope that this information assists you. Have a good weekend ahead, Richard!

You may like to visit our website for more information and support on Ovi.

Kind regards,

Roy
Nokia Careline