View Full Version : FP2 Frustrations

pennas
14-11-2008, 01:07 PM
I've just moved from FP1 (N95) to FP2 in the shape of an N85, and a few things are frustrating me. Some of these things have been issues with S60 "forever", while some are to do with the new features in FP2. Anyway, I feel the need to vent, so here is my list of S60v3FP2 frustrations!

1) Destinations / Access Points. Destinations are fantastic, but it appears to be completely random whether or not an application (whether built-in or 3rd-party) uses them or asks me for a distinct access point!!

Some examples:

Use Destinations: Web Browser, Device Manager, Maps, Mobbler, Google Maps
Use Access Points: Real Player, Slingplayer, Messaging/Email

2) I can't move folders around in menu.. eg Tools->Connectivity I want on the main menu rather than within the tools sub-menu. I could delete+recreate but would lose the icons on the special folders!

3) Built-in bookmark folders eg "Download graphics", "Download sounds". I want to delete them but I can't.

4) Active standby customisation / plugins. I don't want Share Online or WLAN scanning on my standby screen. I would love an RSS plugin on there.

5) The Switch application copies everything over except for contact "default number" settings, and contact groups, which I have to re-create.

6) 3G/GPRS handling. Often if I have lost reception (eg going through a tunnel) the web browser will stop working until I stop it and restart. The OS connection handling should be able to recover this without me restarting the application!

7) Why can't I use PC suite to install apps/etc via Wifi? I left my data cable at work today..

8) In the music player, the time display is present at the top of the screen while I navigate the menus. However as soon as the "Now playing" screen is displayed, the "top section" of the screen shrinks - the time dissapears and the icons shift around. The wallpaper also looks broken in this mode. Why the inconsistency within an application? It would be useful to see the time in this mode!

9) The new "Show open apps" entry at the top of every menu is a good idea, but.... with some apps (eg music player, web browser) to exit them cleanly I am used to pressing "Menu" / "Up" / "Select" to click on 'Exit'. Could the Open Apps entry not go "second to bottom" of the list?

10) Why does the date have to disappear if I am not using the "General" profile?!?! Is there some research showing that people don't need to know the date when they are at work/in a meeting, but do want to know it when they are out and about??? grrr

radical24
14-11-2008, 03:36 PM
hmm I happen to love the FP2 trnasition, I don't even look back and when I sit on my N95-3 or N82 ocassionally now to get some things done , it seems slow and lacking the feautres I love the most. In reply to your frustration with the standby screen, as I recall at least on my phones it was impossible to remove share online etc. perhaps unless you had a hacked phone but not unhacked with the lates firmware....interesting points tho keep them coming

GordonShowers
15-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Hi Pennas, I agree with a lot of what you say.

Here are some comments:

1) I agree it's a little inconsistent, but in general I love the feature for podcasting & web browsing.

2) You can move folders and retain the icons using the following link: http://www.fwrnando.com/blog/2007/n95-menu-in-v20/
It works fine for the N85. My main menu screen is attached to illustrate.

3) I agree.

4) You can do this on a hacked N95. Let's hope someone finds a way to hack FP2 soon.

5) I use Oxygen Phone Manager. But it costs money and isn't particularly cheap.

6) Haven't noticed this yet, but I haven't used it on the move yet.

7) www.orb.com will let you access files over wifi, and it's free. So will SymSMB but I have recently found out that they have stopped support for their product. It's a real shame because it was great.

8) How about setting your screen saver as "Now Playing"?

9) Ha ha! This is the single most annoying thing about the N85 for me! I've kind of got used to it now, but I was so used to pressing Menu - Up - Select to exit and I miss it!

10) Setting the screen saver to "Now Playing" is the best I can offer for this too.

On the whole though I absolutely love the N85.

Especially the lock keypad switch on the side. The single nicest feature for me :)

pennas
15-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the folder tip, i'll give that a go later!

I'm already using the Now Playing screensaver (which is fantastic!), so I admit those annoyances are less than they could be ;) but annoyances none-the-less

I love the N85, and FP2 changes in general, but nothing is perfect :tongue:

kontraband
17-11-2008, 02:50 PM
LOL yeah, #9 was a pain!! You get used to it tho.

radical24
17-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the folder tip, i'll give that a go later!

I'm already using the Now Playing screensaver (which is fantastic!), so I admit those annoyances are less than they could be ;) but annoyances none-the-less

I love the N85, and FP2 changes in general, but nothing is perfect :tongue:

and you are 100% right nothing is perfect, that would be too boring and we would have not forums like this one to express our failures, sucesses, new features, frustrations with our hi tech mobile gear, so really do you want perfect when you can have a whole world of never ending discussion due to that minor thing: imprefection ;)