View Full Version : Good News, Bad News

matchstick
13-11-2008, 01:22 PM
The good news is that Nokia Spain now has the 5800 up for pre-order

http://tienda.nokia.es/nokia-es/product.aspx?sku=3889898&culture=es-ES

The bad news is that nokia have BADLY missed their promised price of €279 (Spanish VAT @16% makes that €320.85).
IMHO at €429 the 5800 is likely going to be savaged by the iPhone.

(That is unless that €429 is the price with a Comes with Music subscription but I can't see anything on the page that says it does)

bartmanekul
13-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Saw this, and thought 'Oh dear'.

Its really a case of shooting themselves in the foot. I was going to get one to play around with, but I think I'll hold off now.

So far nothing Nokia has released is looking as good as my E66, having returned a N85.

matchstick
13-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Saw this, and thought 'Oh dear'.

Its really a case of shooting themselves in the foot. I was going to get one to play around with, but I think I'll hold off now.

So far nothing Nokia has released is looking as good as my E66, having returned a N85.

I was REALLY looking forward to ditching my current WM Smartphone and getting a 5800, but absolutely not at that price.

matchstick
20-11-2008, 02:45 PM
The 5800 is now up on the Italian nokia site for 429
http://www.nokiashop.it/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Nokiashop-B2C-Site/it_IT/-/EUR/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse;pgid=RbXue1gQbnM000EVaKd0zAKf0000QLlpu9QG?C atalogCategoryID=7nisEAoDiLgAAAELGScabhnq

Anyone with contacts at Nokia like to ask them (on the record) wtf happened to 279+taxes ?

bartmanekul
20-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Tzar2 (or it might have been Rafe) thinks its going to come down to about that after christmas, but tbh I cant see it happening.

I always thought that the price was too low for something with that hardware. Even the Nokia non touchscreen phones are a lot more than that.

My E66 for example - 319 - 377.26 Euros. Or, 271 without VAT - 319 Euros.

And thats very similar - GPS, wifi, bluetooth, 3.2 cam etc.

Except its not dual LED, its screen is much smaller, and not touch, and lets not forget comes with music.

So, a touchscreen phone with better hardware and the comes with music service for 40 Euros less??

How Nokia ever thought they were going to do it at that price I dont know. Perhaps they didnt?

There was something drastically wrong with that price in the first place. Something smells here IMO.

castellar
25-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Nokia's shop say that the 5800 comes with a 100 voucher for the Nokia music store. This non-voluntary bonus birngs the phone price back to roughly 279 w/o tax.

bartmanekul
25-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Not really. I just want the device and my own music. A voucher for something I dont want/need does not bring the handset price down to what they said it would.

snoyt
25-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Not really. I just want the device and my own music. A voucher for something I dont want/need does not bring the handset price down to what they said it would.

I guess there is a limited supply and thus they want to make it exclusive, also reducing grey import/export to other countries. Taking 1 or 2 months slow introduction in limited countries will in case post-release firmware troubles limit the number of clients and prevent n95-ish trouble. Plenty of reasons to think off.

Yet, like you I am getting restless about the 5800 and its successors!

matchstick
26-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Nokia's shop say that the 5800 comes with a 100 voucher for the Nokia music store. This non-voluntary bonus birngs the phone price back to roughly 279 w/o tax.

Ah thanks for that info, hopefully that means that the CWM version should come in at around the same price as well.