View Full Version : n85 version not made for US

l1nknp4rk
04-11-2008, 04:08 AM
I bought a n85 on ebay and when i tried installing the free 3 month voice navigation it said its available only for singapore and malaysia and i live in US. would changing the product code to a US version allow me to get the 3 months voice navigation for free? Also, I spoke to nokia customer support and they said I should go through the malaysian nokia website get firmware updates so regular updates my damage the phone. is this true? If i just use nokia software updater thru pc will it give me the correct fw i need to upgrade?

N/A
04-11-2008, 08:17 AM
It does not matter which web site you go through, or what language version of Nokia Software Updater (NSU) you use. What matters is the device product code, as that is what determines which firmware version/package NSU delivers to the device.

Note also that in the caseof Maps, it is most likely that the backend licensing systems knows it by IMEI (i.e., the particular device serial number has been originally shipped to Singapore/Malaysia region with rights to a navigation license for that region).

In other words, if you need a navigation license for a different region, then I suspect you need to buy it.

kontraband
04-11-2008, 11:37 PM
yes, I totally agree

l1nknp4rk
05-11-2008, 06:51 AM
so i can update the phones firmware using nokia software updater right? i dont have to do anything special ?

would changing product code to US one when available help me or harm me at all?

radical24
07-11-2008, 03:58 PM
it might but the problem right now fundamentally is that NSU first does not recognize n85 as a device, second the US designated phones may not be out for a moment longer. Patience in this case, nothing elese is left.