View Full Version : nokia maps

stuarttaylor
02-11-2008, 05:42 PM
hi can anyone tell me me if nokia maps only work when you are online ?
i have just purchased a n96 and activated my 90 day free trial and it only shows a blank green sreen

seki
02-11-2008, 10:42 PM
to be online when using Nokia maps .. the exception is if you move to an area for which you do not have a map loaded.
The Maps application will download the appropriate map tiles required - subject to your approval.

The free trial I assume is turn by turn navigation .. thats a whole 'nother thing .. yeah you'll need to go online from time to time for that application.

IJM
03-11-2008, 12:08 AM
If I download and install the Nokia Maps 2.0 from the Maps website, does that include ALL the maps for GB ?

bartmanekul
03-11-2008, 08:48 AM
You can use Nokia maploader to download the maps to your phone via PC.

However, you have to go online for searches, otherwise the results are pointless.

IJM
04-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Aye, finally got it the maps installed. No idea how to activate my free trail. As all my N85 manuals and paperwork is in polish haha

ninetysix
05-11-2008, 06:53 AM
The maps for your country should already come pre-loaded, but well if you bought it in another country, then use the PC maps application (that came with PC Suite on the DVD with the device, or which you can download from www.nokia.com/maps ) to install them. You need to connect the device in USB (I recommend mass storage mode, although PC Suite mode works too), and then Maploader will see the device. You can select which maps to install. For some countries, you can select which state or province or area.

Another good way is to go to a WLAN hotspot, go online and just zoom to the areas which you want the maps for. Make sure that the access point used is WLAN under Maps settings. This way, they get pulled down and cached on the device without having to connect to the PC. But the PC option is still slightly more comfortable if you want to add another country ;-)

Finally, to activate the navigation trial, just start to navigate to a point. E.g. pick any place on the map (where you are not currently located), click center select on the rocker and select "Drive to...". This will start the car navigation. As part of the process, it will ask you whether you want to check for free licenses, and connect to the Nokia server. From this point onward, your 3 month trial begins....