View Full Version : Tom Tom on n96 - Help.

Buddy X
31-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Hi guys, i hope i'm not going over old ground but can't seem to find anything through via the search function that helps.

I've recently purchased an n96 and can't get Tom Tom running on it.

I previously had an n70 with Tom Tom 5 running on it from a memory card. I've tried to copy the folders over to my n96 but it doesn't seem to work.

The folders i have are:

1) Great-Britain Map
2) itn
3) Licences
4) raster
5) schemes
6) Tom Tom
7) voices

I copied thes folders using data cable from my n70 to my hard drive and then copied from my hard drive to my n96.

Am i missing something ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

coolice
31-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Hey,

The short & simple answer is the TomTom your trying to install is too old for the phone, you need TomTom Navigator V6.02 to suit 3rd Edition phones.

The version 5 you have suits the older generation series60 phones like your N70, N6630 etc.

Time for an update with TomTom :tongue:

Ian

Buddy X
01-11-2008, 09:19 AM
aha !

Thanks for that.

nokian96gps
02-11-2008, 01:35 PM
hey

you can get tomtom v6 working on the n96

however not with the internal gps. need someone to work a solution out to that one.

you have to connect it to an external gps device!

also the processor is slower than the n95 so searching for addresses etc is very slow.

not sure if anyone has a recommendation of what will work definately with the nokia n96 internal gps.

dont even know if anyone has got route 66 or garmin to work effectively and efficiently with the internal gps.

doesnt seem to be much news on people using the n96 with the internal gps outside of the rubbish nokia maps!

coolice
02-11-2008, 02:22 PM
hey

you can get tomtom v6 working on the n96

however not with the internal gps. need someone to work a solution out to that one.

you have to connect it to an external gps device!

also the processor is slower than the n95 so searching for addresses etc is very slow.

not sure if anyone has a recommendation of what will work definately with the nokia n96 internal gps.

dont even know if anyone has got route 66 or garmin to work effectively and efficiently with the internal gps.

doesnt seem to be much news on people using the n96 with the internal gps outside of the rubbish nokia maps!

Hey,

The N96 processor is faster than the N95's, I dont know by how much but it is an entirely different processor that is faster.

As for using the internal GPS receiver there is already a fix available which has been written by some clever people, but it is located on sites which are forbidden to be talked about here.

As for what navigation software to use which is as good as TomTom but using the internal GPS of the N96 (or N95) I can highly recommend Sygic Drive (McGuider/Traffic) V7.60.731 software.

http://http://www.sygic.com/mobile/index.html

This software works very well with the internal GPS of the N96 and is also very good with regards to capability etc. alongside TomTom, which for me has surpassed TomTom for ease and practicality.
If your going to buy a satnav program for your N96 I dont think you'd regret Sygic.

Garmin can also be used on the N96 with internal GPS I think to, but I have not been blown away when I tried it in the past and so have steered clear of the newer versions.

Route66, again I think the latest one can use the internal GPS but I have not seen it. But the older one was reasonable from memory.

Ian

dhevans_6
04-11-2008, 12:06 AM
No discussing cracked software - first warning

granadas
04-11-2008, 01:43 PM
i have tt6 on my n96 and it works fine:icon14::)

dhevans_6
04-11-2008, 08:22 PM
No discussing cracked software - first warning

Sorry my post was misinterpreted - I have a paid for copy of TT6 and I want to hear only from people with legit installs as myself...

Also, how long did it take people to get new activation codes from TomTom? I've only ever had (= purchased before anything gets misconstrued) new software for a new phone - TT5 on my 6600 and TT6 on this N80 so haven't had the joy of squeezing out a code from TomTom :)