View Full Version : N85 due october 20th.

macwhu
01-10-2008, 12:01 PM
according to expansys....

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=172674

429 so probably 399 elsewhere ;)

bartmanekul
01-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Its my birthday on the 21st :D

Can but hope eh?

baconroll
02-10-2008, 12:54 PM
think i'll wait a few months till it comes down in price. have just purchased a brand new N95 from ebuyer.com simfree for 239. I do want the N85 but will wait to see if 02 do it on contract and at how much, although they don't even seem to be doing the N96 at the moment

BHOY
02-10-2008, 05:18 PM
I spoke with o2 today regarding the n85 and n956 and the person i spoke with said,its all still up in the air just now if they will stock them...But he believed due to how high spec these fones are they will defo be stocking both :icon14:

So fingers crossed,Im going to hang fire renewing my contract or changing to anyone else for a month or so to see if these fones become available on o2

P.s i spoke to some 1 from o2 a month or so ago who said that he knew o2 were going to stock both fones,but they wont release them early oct like Vodaphone,3 etc etc because of the problems with the others n-series nokias until they have ironed out all the bugs etc

alphamusic
05-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Expansys now lists the availability date as October 25th. It can be that their initial order has been purchased by people pre ordering the phone.

BHOY
05-10-2008, 03:24 PM
When do you think it will be available on contract then?

BHOY
13-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Anyone?

alphamusic
13-10-2008, 05:53 PM
The N95 shipped March 22nd, 2007 and arrived on contact April 4th, 2007 in the UK (at least in my area, correct me if anyone else had different experiences). The N96 started shipping fully on the 24th of September and came out on contract the 1st of October. If these examples are anything to go by, it will be a week or two later, so late October/ 1st week in November. It is possible that operators don't pick it up as quickly as the flagship N95 and N96 models. The N82 was always elusive on contract in my neck of the woods. Lets hope operators pick it up and it comes out as quickly as the N96. Has anyone heard who is going to carry it?

alphamusic
22-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Well, the N85 has been available in the UK and elsewhere simfree for a while now, but I would be curious to hear what operators are picking up the phone first, and if anyone has information on a launch date.

GordonShowers
22-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Well, the N85 has been available in the UK and elsewhere simfree for a while now ...

From where exactly? A few retailers in the uk are advertising it, but none have it in stock.

Please tell me, i really want it!

baconroll
22-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Play.com - in stock 429.99
eXpansys UK - 10 in stock 449.99

seki
23-10-2008, 01:01 AM
Play.com - in stock 429.99
eXpansys UK - 10 in stock 449.99

um .. about 339 .. plus shipping bought it up to 350

:)

baconroll
23-10-2008, 06:49 AM
um .. about 339 .. plus shipping bought it up to 350

:)

where can you get it for that price?

bartmanekul
23-10-2008, 07:52 AM
You cant, unless its from one of those ebay sellers that send from China. And then you risk duty on top of that.

macwhu
23-10-2008, 10:08 AM
You cant, unless its from one of those ebay sellers that send from China. And then you risk duty on top of that.

409 sim free in the nokia store on regents street.

which is oddly the same price as the N96 is on PAYG on three.

bartmanekul
23-10-2008, 12:02 PM
And annoying. Is there any reason why the online Nokia shop takes ages to offer handsets for sale?

The N85 is still listed as pre-order. And only available in copper.

I have ordered mine from ebay, for 399 inc postage. The copper version, as I think that looks much better.

Shame they didnt do copper all the way round though.

marketsqhero
23-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Do you know what region the eBay model is. Is it one of the East European versions floating around or a UK one?

bartmanekul
23-10-2008, 02:27 PM
I'll let you know when I get it ;) tomorrow (I hope) or Monday.

I strongly suspect it will be from China, since they cannot be got that cheap otherwise.

Although my 6110N was from China, had no problems with that at all.

I am hoping that since its from China and therefore a different batch, it might have a more solid slider than some are reporting.

kontraband
24-10-2008, 02:18 PM
I'll let you know when I get it ;) tomorrow (I hope) or Monday.

I strongly suspect it will be from China, since they cannot be got that cheap otherwise.

Although my 6110N was from China, had no problems with that at all.

I am hoping that since its from China and therefore a different batch, it might have a more solid slider than some are reporting.

You getting a N-series! OOooooh get you! ;) I almost thought I would never see the day.

bartmanekul
24-10-2008, 02:28 PM
I know, fancy that!

I have the N85 now, and I have to say, as expected the build quality is nothing compared to my E66.

However, I am very much a convergance person, I dont have a camera, GPS unit, and a rubbish car stereo (CDs only).

The N85 means I have a camera, GPS, and the FM transmitter means I no longer have to burn CDs for the car. It works brilliantly BTW.

Playing with the N85 now, dont like the look but its a very powerful phone.

And finally in a size I dont consider silly!

The one I have is a Singapore version, which means I am very unlikely to be covered by any warranty. Take your chances, and all that....

I have to figure out how to turn down the text message noise, it made the whole office jump a mile. Its *really* loud.

GordonShowers
25-10-2008, 07:46 AM
I have the N85 now

Congratulations!!

Me, jealous?!

kontraband
27-10-2008, 02:53 PM
yeah, Im just messing with the one I have too... Im going to do some sort of write up so Im sure we can compare notes too.

bartmanekul
27-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Congratulations!!

Me, jealous?!

Dont be too jealous - it has a faulty GPS unit, and I have to send it back. I suspect its just a connection that could be sorted by fiddling about, but Im not about to invalidate the warranty if its not by opening it up.

Seller as already agreed to take it back and give a refund. I would have accepted a replacement, but he said as its from the same batch its possible it will have the same fault, and he doesnt want to go through it all again.

So...wheres the best place to buy a N85 in the UK ;)

kontraband
27-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Doh! Shame!! :(

GPS is damn fine on this one... quicker than my N95.

GordonShowers
27-10-2008, 05:16 PM
So...wheres the best place to buy a N85 in the UK ;)
Well, I'm due an upgrade on Vodafone and I'm seriously considering the Mobile Phones Direct upgrade for 223, keeping existing tariff.

Only problem is, they offer many more minutes on a new contract. But I'm too impatient to wait for the contract to be cancelled, transfer the number to a PAYG for a month, then buy it on a new contract!

I think I'm gonna go for it within a week or two, I love the sound of this phone.

Just one thing that disappointed me, every spec sheet lists the FM radio as being able to be set for an alarm tone, but no-one has been able to do this yet. I'd love that feature!

BHOY
27-10-2008, 07:22 PM
When do you think it will be available on contract from Vodaphone,3 etc?

bartmanekul
27-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Well everyone is saying its going to be on Vodafone, but Im not so sure.

I would have thought they would have mentioned it by now, since they usually have.

Its not on the coming soon page, nor have the reps mentioned it on the E forum.

And Vodafone very rarely have 2 phones of similar models. And they already have the N96.

So Im doubting they will even have it.

Not that it makes a difference to me. After seeing the big cockup that their branding made on the N96 (horribly slow, crashing, etc - all those problems gone for those brave enough to debrand), I dont want to touch a vodafone branded phone.

If you do, you have 2 choices.

Put up with possibly buggy and slow firmware, with the lovely addition of having to wait eons for Vodafone to release their own firmware updates.

Or

Debrand and possibly lose your warranty. Its happened to some.

Dont know what Im going to do when I get my refund. Possibly get it from Nokia UK, since they are selling them now.

So far they are the cheapest ones for the UK.

Unless anyone knows better (hint hint).

crackajack
27-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Nokia store in Manchester sell Vodafone contracts along with unlocked Nokia handsets and they say early November for N85 so I think it will be possible to get one on Voda.

seki
27-10-2008, 10:31 PM
where can you get it for that price?

A store I've not dealt with before - but once I'd placed my order they called me to confirm all the details - where I wanted it shipped etc.

Apart from the courier and a long weekend intervening I'm very pleased with it.

The first thing you notice when you turn it on is just how stunning the colours are on that opening hand-hold movie.

Now to configure it with my BT keyboard - put my Pearl-Black Fire Edition Theme on it and I'll be a happy chappy..

- yeah I got lucky .. no duty .. but I'd get it back here in NZ as I'm using for business .. :)

- cheers seki