View Full Version : Problems out of the box

danpep
18-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Love the look and feel of this phone over my N95. Chose it because it uses Symbian OS and doesn't have N95/N96/N82 dual-slide (which I have used a total of once on my N95).

Anyway here are my few small gripes:

1) The supplied micro USB cable takes out my USB ports. On one PC I get a message saying something about a USB power surge. This is without the phone on the other end and with drivers installed. Must be a faulty cable.

2) The alarm clock doesn't work. Still trying to figure this out.

3) The screen is completely off when the backlight is off. On the N95 you can see the screen without the backlight allowing you to see the time/missed calls/etc.

4) Lock screen lock picture is upside down. Okay that's a very minor one.

5) GSM reception and data speeds are inferior to the N95 (and other phones from what I've read).

6) Samsung website still lists this phone as "coming soon" and links to PC software and manuals are hard to find, not working, or link to old version of the PC studio. This is one area where Nokia are definitely ahead.

I know I was spoiled because the N95 was such a good power-user phone, but I'm getting used to the differences in the i8510 and really prefer the ergonomics. I prefer the button feel and placement over what Nokia are doing with phones in this range.

The good points are the obvious ones: 8GB, 8MP, optical joystick (great for web surfing).

stuclark
18-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Love the look and feel of this phone over my N95. Chose it because it uses Symbian OS and doesn't have N95/N96/N82 dual-slide (which I have used a total of once on my N95).

Anyway here are my few small gripes:

1) The supplied micro USB cable takes out my USB ports. On one PC I get a message saying something about a USB power surge. This is without the phone on the other end and with drivers installed. Must be a faulty cable.

I haven't experienced any problems with USB on either Windows Vista or Windows XP. What other USB devices do you have plugged in / are you using a non-powered USB hub etc?

2) The alarm clock doesn't work. Still trying to figure this out.

Can you be more specific - it works for me perfectly.

3) The screen is completely off when the backlight is off. On the N95 you can see the screen without the backlight allowing you to see the time/missed calls/etc.

Yes - this is how Samsung have implemented the current firmware (they've removed the screensaver option). This could be changed in a firmware upgrade if they choose. Or you can alter this behaviour by changing your screen settings

4) Lock screen lock picture is upside down. Okay that's a very minor one.

Which picture?

5) GSM reception and data speeds are inferior to the N95 (and other phones from what I've read).

No, network reception and speeds are comparible to N95. (they use the same chipsets afterall)

6) Samsung website still lists this phone as "coming soon" and links to PC software and manuals are hard to find, not working, or link to old version of the PC studio. This is one area where Nokia are definitely ahead.

They'll fix this. The phone hasn't even had a full UK launch yet (only a CPW exclusive)

I know I was spoiled because the N95 was such a good power-user phone, but I'm getting used to the differences in the i8510 and really prefer the ergonomics. I prefer the button feel and placement over what Nokia are doing with phones in this range.

The N95 was a complete DOG when it came out (I know, I still have mine) - it took Nokia 3 or 4 firmware releases, and 6 months, to make the phone useable; and it only really became a power-house last year with the V20 firmware updates!

The good points are the obvious ones: 8GB, 8MP, optical joystick (great for web surfing).

danpep
18-09-2008, 01:45 PM
I haven't experienced any problems with USB on either Windows Vista or Windows XP. What other USB devices do you have plugged in / are you using a non-powered USB hub etc?

Not going via a hub. Have disconnected all other USB devices (except keyboard). I must have a bum cable. Same problem on 3 PCs with a mix of XP and Vista. And like I said, the power surge message came up even when the phone wasn't plugged into the other end of the cable. Must be a short of some kind. I'm using bluetooth to sync until I get a replacement cable. Lindy.co.uk has these BTW.

Can you be more specific - it works for me perfectly.

I set the alarm. It correctly says "x hours/minutes to alarm" and there is a bell icon on the screen but at the specified time, nothing happens. I've made sure there is a sound file associated with alarms and that the volume is up.

Yes - this is how Samsung have implemented the current firmware (they've removed the screensaver option). This could be changed in a firmware upgrade if they choose. Or you can alter this behaviour by changing your screen settings

Will have a play with the settings.

Which picture?

I have auto phone lock set for 10 minutes. When locked, there is a keyhole displayed on screen. It's upside down. Maybe that's how they mount keyholes in South Korea :-)

No, network reception and speeds are comparible to N95. (they use the same chipsets afterall)

Not on mine. I conducted a small experiment to satisfy my own suspicions. If not chipset then it must be something to do with materials or the layout of components. Or I got unlucky with the phone as well as the cable:-(

They'll fix this. The phone hasn't even had a full UK launch yet (only a CPW exclusive)

I wasn't aware of that. Fair enough I suppose.

The N95 was a complete DOG when it came out (I know, I still have mine) - it took Nokia 3 or 4 firmware releases, and 6 months, to make the phone useable; and it only really became a power-house last year with the V20 firmware updates!

True. It's just that when I first got my N95 I didn't have a previous phone to set my expectations as high as the N95 (in current form) has.

All in all it is a good phone and since I don't live in the jungle far away from cell tower and AC power, I can easily live with the reception and battery life. The pictures I took this morning are brilliant. As good as my ixus. In daylight anyway)

Cheers for your comments.

stuclark
18-09-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm not going to comment each comment again as that would be getting silly.... however:

Yes, sounds like you have a dodgy cable there - you certainly shouldn't get any messages with just the cable (no phone) plugged into your PC. FYI, they're standard microUSB to USB(A) cables.

That's exactly what I do on mine and it works... I suspect you've got something turned off / down in a profile somewhere which is causing that. Also, which way up does the phone sit (screen up or screen down) - it could be the etiquette mode is turning the alarm off.

Ahh, auto phone lock... never use the feature, so haven't noticed it. I'll test on mine and add to the list of annoyances if I can replicate it. Maybe it's a southern hemisphere thing as you say....

Coverage should be as good, as I said, is on mine. Which firmware version do you have on yours? (last 3 digits only needed, probably HH7)

Funily enough, having defended Samsung to you, a work mate and I were just complaining about how slow they are to update their websites... At the moment most i8510 stuff can be found on the main Samsung support site - http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/download/supportDown.do?model_nm=GT-I8510/8&mType=SW&vType=L&disp_nm=GT-I8510/8

I know Rafe, Steve & myself are collating bugs / problems / suggestions to feed back to Samsung, and I know they're watching these forums; so hopefully there'll be some new firmwares out in the not-too-distant future.

David Pleat
22-09-2008, 07:21 PM
I have read that this phone organises music tracks alphabetically and does not let you organise albums via track number? is this true?

cheers :)

srw985
23-09-2008, 06:52 AM
I have read that this phone organises music tracks alphabetically and does not let you organise albums via track number? is this true?

cheers :)

No, if your MP3s have track number information in them (e.g. if track number works in iTunes, iPod, Windows Media Player etc) your phone will sort them by track number. If theres no track number it reverts to alphabetical.

What you need to do is make sure after selecting the artist (even if theres only one album!) you choose the album, not "All Songs". The album will sort by numbers and "All Songs" will sort alphabetically.

For example.
Artists > Band1 > Album1 > songs sorted by track number
Artists > Band1 > All Songs > songs sorted alphabetically

*makes alot more sense when you have the phone infront of you ;)

stuclark
23-09-2008, 10:02 AM
As just said, the music player behaves in exactly the same way as the one seen on Nokia S60 phones, including the N Series. (well it should, it's the same software)

For my money, the S60 music app. is one of the best aroud, and the equaliser settings that Samsung have added are actually really, really great! (that's a bit of a rarity on a phone)

David Pleat
23-09-2008, 11:36 AM
cheers to both of you - thats great news.

i am not too knowledgeable about the symbian systems (i still use my samsung d600) so am long in need of getting a phone.

sorry to threadjack but can you also answer me a few more questions on this phone (no local shop seems to have them in stock for me to demo :() and i have researched this phone quite bit but cannot find the answers to these (or don't know enough about certain features to fully understand :D)

1. the gps - if i buy route66 will it be free to use if i am say in france (if i have the french pack) or will i be subject to data charges?

2. at the minute it seems that an 8gb micro card is the biggest memory on the market. when 16gb cards become more available will it be able to run it? i am torn between buying a cheap phone and then an ipod nano 16gb, or this to act as both, but if i can eventually get this up to 24gb that would sway me towards the phone.

3. is this phone really sim free 249.99? that is the price advertised in the carphone warehouse catalogue, and it seems very cheap considering the n95 8gb in the same store is 499.99.

4. can i use youtube on it? obviously not necessary (especially if i have movies on it) but its class on my mates iphone.

5. would it be possible to get something that allows me to use the music player via my car stereo? again not necessary as i have a cd player, but ipods can do it. some of the new cd players have a headphone jack and they seem to connect via jack to jack, would this be in theory possible?

thats all i can think of for now, cheers again for answering my previous question :)

stuclark
23-09-2008, 02:23 PM
To answer your questions:

1) No - Route66 downloads the maps to the phone when you buy them. They then stay on your phone so no data connection is necessary. Having said that, the phone needs to update it's AGPS info (assisted GPS, it helps the phone get a satelite lock) once a week, so there's a small data transfer associated with that; and of course, should you choose to buy the live trafic options, these require a data connection to work.

2) 16GB cards are already available, with 32GB coming soon. The phone (at the moment) supports upto 32GB cards, but once 64GB ones become available, they *should* work as well.

3) If CPW are saying 249.99 SIM free, then they've dropped the price somewhat! It was 399.95 SIM free a couple of weeks ago (and that's for the 8GB version). Expansys currently have the 8GB version for 534.99

4) Yes, the web browser in the phone supports flash runtime. Plus there's various stand alone apps (such as Mobitubia) which let you watch YouTube on the phone

5) Yes - the phone has a 3.5mm jack output, so any headphone type lead will plug into that. If your car is very clever you could even stream music from your phone to it using DNLA.

David Pleat
23-09-2008, 03:20 PM
cheers again, all good answers! as i have the d600 i am out of touch with all these phone applications - amazing how much more advanced it is!

it might be a typo the price, but I might go and see what they say. It seems extremely cheap compared to other phones on the market, and looks relatively future proof (until the next big thing is announced :D)

i have a 97 fiesta (student ;) but lucky to have a car so can't complain) so the car nor me know what DNLA is, but all in all the signs are very positive for the phone.

one final concern, but will running applications, music, videos etc off the memory card result in lag or should everything be OK? also is the video sound out of sync rumour true?

cheers again for all your help, and sorry for the stupid questions, but before splashing the cash I want to know as much as possible! the great reviews on the site however seem to be very positive :)

stuclark
23-09-2008, 06:33 PM
The 8510 will be pretty much at the top of the pile phone wise for at least the next year :) This phone is just as good as anything that Nokia have to offer, including some they haven't even announced yet!

DNLA is the ability to stream audio (and video) using WiFi...

You won't notice any lag running programs off the phone's built-in 8 or 16GB memory; or from the external memory card. The card is slower to access than the internal memory, but not a lot. Not enough to concern anyway. You certainly won't notice this when playing videos or listening to music.

There's an annoying out-of-sync problem with recorded video at the moment (i.e. video you record on the phone), but this is a firmware issue only so it is perfectly possible for Samsung to fix it in a future firmware udate.

David Pleat
24-09-2008, 01:24 PM
cheers again - i shall go into town on Friday and see if I can demo one.

David Pleat
26-09-2008, 03:18 PM
2) 16GB cards are already available, with 32GB coming soon. The phone (at the moment) supports upto 32GB cards, but once 64GB ones become available, they *should* work as well.
just found out today that is the price sim free according to staff. i assume if i bring the catalogue that states 249.99 i will have no legs to stand on as they will claim a misprint?