View Full Version : so is anyone planning on getting an N96 or all waiting for N85

macwhu
04-09-2008, 11:29 AM
i just cant see the N96 surviving.

its already being trumped by samsung and shortly SE / LG too.

their offerings being free on 35 contracts

http://media.tumblr.com/m1pXgoTTRd6o7gga7uAhL29b_400.jpg

bartmanekul
04-09-2008, 12:04 PM
The N96 will survive for 2 main reasons:

The advertising blurb nokia are doing for it

The fact its got so much memory (16 onboard, and 8gb card).

The memory amount appeals to the masses who dont look much into the specs.

While we see on here how much better an OLED screen is, and that its got USB2, 1200 battery, USB charging etc etc, most people either dont know about or dont care about these things.

The N78 however does have a very limited life IMO. Its not very well advertised, and its completely bettered by the N79 which will not be that much more.

Only thing the N78 has going for it is that its about the only new N series phone in vodafones list.

Im betting firmware updates for the N78 will be very sparse indeed.

For me, the N85 really appeals. Its got everything I want but at last in a size I'll accept. All the improvements mean that the batterylife should be extremely good.

Its the first N series I have ever considered buying.

macwhu
04-09-2008, 12:10 PM
i see it going largely the way of the N91/N92 & N93/N93i

consumers will be faced with paying 100 + for the N96
or a free N85/Samsung/LG/iPhone etc.

operators will drop it - i hear orange arn't bothering at all.

N95 is the on N9X that has sold well

bartmanekul
04-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Quite a few N series have sold well, its just that the N95 did amazingly well.

My personal opinion is that the N96 is too late. Took far too long to come out. Sooner, and it would have been a bigger hit.

Rafe
04-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Some people are going to like the bigger screen. If you've got DVB-H (e.g. Italy) there that's a substantial extra. The equation may change if we see a video service from Nokia too.

And some people just want to own the most expensive / exclusive thing... but yeah I don't imagine it will be a top seller.

I actually think the N78 will do alright - but not among techie users. It'll be cheaper than the N79. But yes it will lsoe sales it might have had other wise.

I imagine the N95 will keep trucking too - sim free price is about 375 now.

macwhu
04-09-2008, 12:45 PM
And some people just want to own the most expensive / exclusive thing... but yeah I don't imagine it will be a top seller.

I actually think the N78 will do alright - but not among techie users. It'll be cheaper than the N79. But yes it will lsoe sales it might have had other wise.

i see N78 as being an international hit in less 'demanding' countrys.

but nokia do seem to have done there 'lets release 20 almost identical phones' thing again.

yes N96 will always appeal to people wanting the high end - its just normally that also is the best. this time round its not happened.

I presume that problems with the new chip platform have delayed the N96 to the point of it being a bit pointless.

I seriously expect an N96i a-la N95 8gig probably after xmas.

macwhu
04-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Quite a few N series have sold well, its just that the N95 did amazingly well.

i only meant the top level N9x phones

the N7x have always sold well

N8x has been a mixed bag - let down by the general crapness at a high price of the n81.

alphamusic
28-09-2008, 07:06 PM
The one thing that tempts me with the N96 is instant gratification. I have only seen vague October release date mentioned in the press release. I'd like to hear a concrete release date so I can weigh my options better. I like the idea of replacing my N95 with a similarly featured, but smaller slider, which I wouldn't be doing with the N96. The OLED sounds quite nice too. On the subject of screens, if rumors about the Nokia 5300 prove to be true in a few days, a 640x480 candybar s60 phone sounds very attractive as well. Silly Nokia making my decision convoluted.

pennas
29-09-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm almost certainly going for the N85 (was tempted by an i8510, but do I really need 8mp, and can I do without all the Nokia software?).

The only thing is waiting for it! My contract has been up for a few weeks now so i'm getting a jumpy trigger finger ;)

As for the N96, it really doesn't appeal, probably because the N85 is superior in so many ways (despite having the slightly smaller screen, internal memory doesn't worry me as I can use a large microSD).

robertsuarez
02-10-2008, 09:14 AM
3" AMoled display
divX player
8MP cam w/xenon flash
100x50x15 mm
3.5 mm should be at the bottom of the unit (not on top)
housing can be just like n95 8gb (my current phone) as it doesn't scratch as easily like n78 (used to own 1, trade it off so fast)
nevermind tv or dvbh as only few countries has it.
can also do w/o GPS.
would you rely on it whenever your going on a trip?
a decent or loud enough music player wouldn't hurt either.
just my 2 cents