View Full Version : N78 Upgrade

baconroll
21-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Hi - I am just days away from my upgrade and need some thoughts/advice. I am currently on a 12mth contract with O2. They now tell me they no longer do 12th contracts and I have 2 options at time of upgrade:

1st option: Stay on current contract but not entitled to new phone - instead they will give me 100 credit. Current contract is 35pm 400mins/1000txts

2nd option: Upgrade to new phone (looking @ N78) but on new 18mth contract - 600mins 1000 @ 35pm

My own 3rd option is to opt for the 20pm sim only deal with 600mins/1000txts and buy the N78 Sim Free for 250.

Having previously owned an N958GB which I sold because I got sick of the loose slider, am I going to be very dissapointed with the N78 (in particular the keypad) or should I just buy / contract another N95? And are the N78 users happy with their phone?

Ah decisions - any advice as usual will be greatly appreciated.

bartmanekul
21-08-2008, 12:38 PM
First - how many minutes and texts do you use a month?

Second - go into a store and try out the keypad on an N78. Even a dummy will do. I hated it with a vengance.

Nyxmorph
21-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Ive been into a couple of stores and the dummy keypads were RUBBISH in comparision to the actual keypad on the actual phone which still wasn't great but still it was useable (and apparently after 2-3 days you get used to it).

The phone is brilliant apart from that keypad I have to say. Nokia what were you thinking lol. But my contracts up in 6 days, and Im going to be getting an N78 (currently have an N95 and E51).

oh and you should just leave O2, join vodafone or get a contract off expansys / carphone warehouse where you will easily get your phone and only 12 monther :)

gordonH
22-08-2008, 05:51 PM
The N78 is a decent choice. Keypad could 've been better. The device looks good but there's a feeling of wasted space and uncomfortable keypad. Battery life is excellent.

Nyxmorph
26-08-2008, 08:24 AM
With the N79 now replacing the N78, possibly worth waiting for the upgrade to a 5mp camera and standard keypad ...

clive6630
29-08-2008, 10:51 PM
I have to say, i was put off this phone by the keypad. But i went into the local o2 shop to try one and can honestly say that it worked perfectly for texting with. Not one incorrect character as i was expecting. I think it is easily livable with. The only problem i encountered was moving up on the d-pad i often hit the up and then the ok straight after opening apps that i didn't want to, but i reckon with practise it will be ok. Other than that, fantastic.

baconroll
07-09-2008, 06:50 AM
i've actually decided to get the N85 now so have gone on sim only with O2 while I wait. They have no idea if they are getting it or of any new phones for that matter. They did vaguely moot that they might be getting the N96 but they weren't even sure about that. I'm not interested in the N96 anymore though so if the sim free price of the N85 is reasonable on launch then I shall be buying that. In the meantime I have purchased a cheap N95 to scratch my Nseries itch!