View Full Version : Tip and tricks - E66

timsalmon
13-08-2008, 11:14 AM
I sometimes wish that the backlight of S60 screens would stay on longer during a specific task - like watching a synchronisation finish - instead of having to keep prodding the right direction on the keypad. Just thought it was interesting that with the E66, if you slide it open and lay it on it's side, every time the backlight goes to switch itself off, the accelerometer picks up the change, returns it to 'portrait' mode briefly, then back again to 'landscape' thus forcing the backlight to start another period of 'on time' (as depicted in the settings).

I'm sure it probably runs the battery down horribly and there are good reasons not to have the backlight on all the time but it must be possible to write this into software as it is an option in Nokia Maps to keep it on. And using emTube and other video related functions. How about a 'backlight on if on mains power' option? (Canola achieves this with the Nokia Internet Tablets.)

Anyone know of anything I've missed in the settings here? Or maybe there's a 3rd party app to do this? Does it work with all S60 handsets with an accelerometer? Does it have to have a 'slide' to work - N82 test anyone?

Tim

RogerPodacter
13-08-2008, 03:48 PM
install an app called smartlight, it will make your s60 life a ton better. it keeps the backlight on indefinitely as long as any app or menu is on the screen. but if you go to the main screen, the backlight times out like normal. this should be built into all nokia phones, but its not. enjoy.

timsalmon
13-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks Roger. Also discovered 'Lights On' which does some of the required stuff too.

Tim

timsalmon
13-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Smart Light and Lights On

So it seems that there's Smart Light and Lights On and they have slightly different actions.

Lights On can be set to switch/keep the backlight on whenever the power lead is put in and can also be set to 'time out' for any period (up to 600 hrs!!) regardless of the power lead's situation. It can also be set to 'always on'. There's a fully functioning 14 day trial.

Smart Light doesn't interact with the power events but stays on, rather more simply, if there's a menu or application open and active on the screen. It won't, therefore, let you have an E90 (for example) open - laptop style - with the 'Desk' view in front of you and keep the backlight on (as 'Desk' does not count as an app.) There's a rather annoying 'few-minutes deactivation' period of the app until you pay up - you need to go and reset it for another few-minutes. Though I guess in fairness these are the kind of apps you don't really need to trial for 14 days, but I'm more impressed that with Lights On, that you can.

Lights On costs 5.55 and Smart Light is $7.95.

Tim

GDavids
09-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Tim,

there is a freeware which may solve your needs (partly): S60SpotOn (http://www.outbank.de/index.php?id=29) by Outbank

Although it is in German, there is not really much to not understand about it. In case you have difficulties, the following online dictionary will sure help you acquire profound knowledge in the required 5 to 10 German words: http://dict.leo.org

Alternatively, please write a short reply in this thread an I will provide you with a translation.

Good luck!

timsalmon
09-11-2008, 06:22 PM
S60SpotOn

I'd forgotten about this one which has been linked to at 3Lib and most other S60 software listings for years! What a buffoon!

You're right - it does what it says on the tin. Would be very nice to have a hot-key to turn it off and on instead of having to open the menu in the app to do it. Don't suppose the German says anything about that does it?

Thanks very much for the prompt/reminder.

Tim

GDavids
10-11-2008, 03:33 PM
No, your guess was right. The German notes shown when opening S60SpotOn is just a short ad for OutBank.

timsalmon
10-11-2008, 03:59 PM
No, your guess was right.

OK. Well thanks anyway - I have it installed. The one I'm finding the most useful actually is the Lights On one - which comes on when the power lead is in but is disabled if not. And it's only a few quid - so good for the author!

Cheers

Tim