View Full Version : N96 and N-gage!

ccraig
21-07-2008, 09:10 PM
just looked at the specs and features of the N96
why as it still not been named as N-gage compatible on Nokia and Nseries sites ?
I looked at N-gage site and on there it as not been added as coming soon either .
it as been added to coming soon on the mobile version of N-gage.com though
I'm thinking about getting a N96 but the Phone might become worthless by the time N-gage support comes, so i'm having 2nd thought's

What would you guy's do?

N/A
22-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Maybe it'll support N-Gage right out of the box.

Rafe
22-07-2008, 09:48 AM
it as been added to coming soon on the mobile version of N-gage.com though
I'm thinking about getting a N96 but the Phone might become worthless by the time N-gage support comes, so i'm having 2nd thought's

What would you guy's do?

I suspect N-Gage for FP2 phones like the N96 is not far off. So maybe you should wait and see. You might want to avoid the initial rush for the phone anyway since you pay a price premium near the launch date.

Tzer2
22-07-2008, 12:24 PM
The N96 and the N78 were both supposed to be N-Gage-compatible straight out of the box, but as Rafe says the FP2 version of the N-Gage application isn't ready yet.

And, as Rafe says, best not to buy any phone at launch because it will be very expensive and probably have bugs in it.

Apparently the N-Gage app has to be ready three months before a phone is released if they want to include it straight out of the box, so it's getting a bit worrying whether they'll have ANY new N-Gage-embedded phones before Christmas. I did an article about this a while ago:

http://www.allaboutngage.com/features/item/When_will_N-Gage_really_launch.php

The N96 is definitely supporting N-Gage, it has N-Gage gaming button logos on its multimedia keys, and the publicity photos show it running an N-Gage game. The question is, will the new version of the N-Gage app be ready for the N96's launch?

http://nds3.nokia.com/pressphotos/public/global/devices/n96/03_NokiaN96_lowres.jpg

ccraig
22-07-2008, 04:17 PM
look at how long over schedule they was readying the app for launch i lost count the month's what passed.
Then they promised support for N93 &n73 for 2nd quarter after it didn't get support at launch that time as now passed and app is not here.
developing the app for FP2 phones should not take so long b/c the phones have similar specs to the N95 8GB so they'll already have a idea of the pro's & con's of doing things certain way's.
if there is delay's it will be caused by newly added feature's to the App which i think we can almost be guaranteed to see b/c there is no other reason to rebuild the app from scratch

N/A
22-07-2008, 04:18 PM
The question is, will the new version of the N-Gage app be ready for the N96's launch?I will place my bet on that it will, but it will be all clear soon enough, when the N96 starts shipping.

Tzer2
22-07-2008, 06:58 PM
look at how long over schedule they was readying the app for launch i lost count the month's what passed.

When the next gen was first talked about, they said it might launch at the end of 2005. Then it was 2006, then late 2006, then early 2007, then summer 2007, then autumn 2007, then christmas 2007, then new year 2008... they didn't even get the public beta until february, and the actual finished app appeared in april 2008!

I doubt they would have announced the November 2007 launch date at Go Play last year if they were expecting any delays, so they've probably been running into some unexpected problems.