View Full Version : E71 Keyboard Shortcuts and other tips and tricks

timsalmon
18-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Don't know if this one is well known (or in the manual which I haven't read) but I discovered today that a quick double press on the bottom left 'number shift' key locks it. Most useful when particularly navigating around the GMail app to invoke actions instead of keep pressing the button before every keystroke.

Tim

Berty
21-07-2008, 06:47 AM
I want to know about page up and page down, also cut, copy and paste. Any ideas?

Rafe
21-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Copy and paste can, in some situations be done with Ctrl+C (but you need to hold down Func+Chr+C to get this on the keyboard). You can highlight text (in edit situations) by holidng the shift key and moving the direction pad. Copy will appear as on of the softkey labels.

Page up and page down are Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down. Again you access control by pressing the function key first (so Fn+Chr+Up on the keyboard. Doing this directly is awkward. You can press Fn then Ctrl+Up. If you doble tap the function key it becomes sticky (i.e. like cap locks and as tim describes above) and you can then do multiple page up and page downs eaily.

Also handy are the usual silent and Bluetooth keys. From the idle screen hold down # to switch between silent and general profiles. Press and hold down * to switch bluetooth on and off.

I have stickied this thread as I suspect it could be very handy for new users. Please feel free to add your own tips, shortcut and other such things. I may try and keep things consolidated if it gets confusing.

madusa
22-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Here's one more trick for Nokia E71 Keyboard that I find very useful -

Press Fn Key + Return Key for quick Mark/Unmark of items like Msg. emails etc. for deletion or moving.

In E51 & E61i doing this would automatically move the selection down to the second line, not any more in the E71 after this shortcut one has to move a line down by the down key, don't know why ?

Rafe
22-07-2008, 10:24 AM
madusa - I think that's shift and return rather than functions isn't it?

Ratkat
22-07-2008, 02:12 PM

It's 'shift' + 'return' (or click navi button) to mark a single item or...
It's 'shift' + 'navi button down' to mark multiple items.

Don't suppose there is a quick key to mark an email as read? it's a pain keep going in the menu to do it.

More tips:

On keys that show a symbol or number, hold down the key to get it.

In Realplayer
Press 'fn' twice then press 2 for full screen
Press and hold 'navi button up' to fast forward
Press and hold 'navi button down' to rewind

Pasek
26-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Press and Hold * key to activate or deactivate the bluetooth..

Press and Hold # key to switch between General and Silent profiles.

Press and Hold 0 (zero) key to goto bookmarks / browser

(Oh, this was already posted :( )

madusa
29-07-2008, 06:16 AM

Yup u'r right Rafe, thanks for correcting my mistake :)

Ratkat : Thanks for showing me how to do multiple item marking :icon14:

Jer
02-08-2008, 05:38 AM
When in locked mode you can hold the large center 'select' key to get a large back lit time and date display w/o unlocking or needing to re lock. My E70 just had a time/date bar that was tiny and not back lit at all. Much better IMO.

fyrestrtr
05-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Is there a shortcut to switch the GPS from day/night mode?

timsalmon
06-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Is there a shortcut to switch the GPS from day/night mode?

No there's not. Menus, I'm afraid!

Tim

nareshys
12-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Do we have any keybord shortcut for the same?

dh_za
12-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Ok, I saw this trick somewhere but for the life of me I cant find it again...

I think it would be neat if someone could post the solution in this section..

How do I dial 0800 Flowers on my e71 qwerty keyboard if the numbers don't have the letters on them like a standard dial pad.

Jer
12-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Ok, I saw this trick somewhere but for the life of me I cant find it again...

I think it would be neat if someone could post the solution in this section..

How do I dial 0800 Flowers on my e71 qwerty keyboard if the numbers don't have the letters on them like a standard dial pad.

Dial 1-800 then hit the bottom left key once and then the shift key next to it twice and then spell out the rest of the word. Hit send and it will convert the letters to numbers automatically. :icon14:

Edit: Be sure to hit 'Send' afterward to see the magic take place! :cool:

dh_za
13-08-2008, 11:42 AM
:icon14:

Now I just need to wait till the 22 untill i get my E71 to try it out. :)

RogerPodacter
13-08-2008, 03:45 PM
crap, it looks like the north american version does not have the # key to switch profiles. just like the n95, they removed it. the n95-2 has this shortcut, but the n95-4 does not. my n95-3 had this until the newest firmware which then removed it. why on earth would nokia take this out of US handsets?

Jer
13-08-2008, 03:49 PM
crap, it looks like the north american version does not have the # key to switch profiles. just like the n95, they removed it. the n95-2 has this shortcut, but the n95-4 does not. my n95-3 had this until the newest firmware which then removed it. why on earth would nokia take this out of US handsets?

I too noticed that. I even tried the shift key and holding down 'J' since that's the key that the '#' is on but all you get is lots of pound symbols. No silent/normal toggle. Seems that the shortest way on the E71 is tapping the power button once and scrolling down to silent.

msantoso
18-08-2008, 11:35 AM
pressing Shift + Backspace = delete letters after cursor

in Notes and Messaging, press Fn (most left bottom button) + Spacebar = gives input option such as turn on/off predictive text, settings, writing language, input method.

msantoso
22-08-2008, 09:23 AM
strange discovery, i notice this when i'm typing for my blog and accidentally press it.

On my device, E71-1 (26)

Press Fn and L gives "
Press Fn and O gives (
Press Fn and P gives )

What about other E71 model?
I'm hoping that in the next firmware, Nokia will "quietly" assign commonly use symbol $ = _ to QAZWSXEDC

auntiewiv
22-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Pressing Shift + CTRL + B makes text BOLD in a message.
Pressing Shift + CTRL + I makes text ITALIC in a message
Pressing Shift + CTRL + U makes text UNDERLINED in a message.

Works fine for email but I don't know if all phones are capable of displaying these in a text message.

*UPDATE* Sent a formatted text message to my N82 but the formatting was not display. Must only work in email.

atcmonke
26-08-2008, 05:14 PM
I don't if anyone has tried this, I always thought that I had to lock/unlock the phone with top left button and function key. I missed the good o top left and * key from the E61. I finally figured out how you could do this on the E71. You have to get out of the Applications Shortcut area to area under it and then try pressing Top Left button + * key. Much easier on the thumb. Had this phone for 4 days so far. LOVING the battery life.

adancau
26-08-2008, 06:58 PM
@aintiewiv:
nope, tried with email, doesn't arrive formatted. as far as i know s60 doesn't support composing html formatted email in the default messaging app.

Jer
26-08-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't if anyone has tried this, I always thought that I had to lock/unlock the phone with top left button and function key. I missed the good o top left and * key from the E61. I finally figured out how you could do this on the E71. You have to get out of the Applications Shortcut area to area under it and then try pressing Top Left button + * key. Much easier on the thumb. Had this phone for 4 days so far. LOVING the battery life.

Most Nokia users are used to the left soft touch key followed by the * which is generally in the lower left corner on most phones. So, if you're used to that sequence the way I am, it also still exists on the E71. Top left 'soft touch' key followed by quick press of the triangle looking key in the lower left corner also produces a lock and unlock function. Top left bottom left. Easy as that. You're way works too but I would spend too long looking for the * in the middle of all the keys. I can lock it w/o even looking at the phone using top left bottom left.

Now I need to find an autolock program from this phone. I had one for the E70 and am not sure if it's the same one or not. Haven't had time to look.

adancau
26-08-2008, 09:34 PM
on mine it locks automatically after 2 minutes [Settings > General > Security > Phone and SIM card > Keypad autolock period]

Jer
26-08-2008, 09:48 PM
on mine it locks automatically after 2 minutes [Settings > General > Security > Phone and SIM card > Keypad autolock period]

Thank you. :icon14:

capkapak
04-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Hold down the End key to disconnect all data connections.

timsalmon
04-09-2008, 10:59 AM

...also true of any S60 device.

Jer
05-09-2008, 01:04 AM

Nice tip and news to me.

Ratkat
07-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Hold down left soft key to read out new text messages.

timsalmon
07-09-2008, 09:50 AM

Well spotted - never knew that! Works a treat - shame about Stephen Hawking getting in on the act ;-)

Tim

Jer
07-09-2008, 05:10 PM

Sweet! That will work PERFECT for when I'm on the motorcycle. I use my E71 for my MP3 player for many reasons and I can hear that I have a new text but usually don't have the time to waste getting to messages and reading them but can hold a single button for a few seconds.

wolffsymb
21-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Also handy are the usual silent and Bluetooth keys. From the idle screen hold down # to switch between silent and general profiles. Press and hold down * to switch bluetooth on and off.

:cool: sounds cool...
What do you mean by "idle screen"? Is this the screen I get after having pressed the home-button? To press "#" or "*" I have to use the function button first. This opens up a command line window on m E71... !?

Thanks for shedding some light on this one.

21.9.08 10:15:24 edit:
I found it myself after having realized that pressing the keys longer does the trick...

BeniF
04-10-2008, 08:15 AM
in Notes and Messaging, press Fn (most left bottom button) + Spacebar = gives input option such as turn on/off predictive text, settings, writing language, input method.

Shift+Chr jumps directly to language selection. This seems to work in all editing modes (e.g. while editing contact information).

Beni

haris_el
04-10-2008, 04:18 PM
When you hold ctrl+ANY VOWEL and different version of the letter you are typing comes up ...

I tried to use the copy function, and i ended up deleting everything i wrote and writing just a "C" :cool:

bigbig
07-10-2008, 09:48 AM
I tried the "factory setting" but the program I installed still there.

Jer
07-10-2008, 04:02 PM
I tried the "factory setting" but the program I installed still there.

Factory settings is just going to change all of your settings back to default. Has nothing to do with installed applications. If you want to clean your phone completely you want to do a factory reset by entering the code *#7370# and then the default code is 12345. Warning, this will reset/delete everything so back up data that you want to keep.

jorang
07-10-2008, 09:23 PM
I too noticed that. I even tried the shift key and holding down 'J' since that's the key that the '#' is on but all you get is lots of pound symbols. No silent/normal toggle. Seems that the shortest way on the E71 is tapping the power button once and scrolling down to silent.

Leave the shift button. From the Standby/ Home screen just press and hold J/# button to toggle silent profile on/off, and press and hold U/* button to toggle Bluetooth on/off.

Works at least on my E71-1 :|

Ratkat
08-10-2008, 12:46 PM
in Nokia Maps

use the 'Shift' Key to zoom in
use the 'Backspace' key to zoom out
use the 'Space' bar to go to current position

Jer
08-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Leave the shift button. From the Standby/ Home screen just press and hold J/# button to toggle silent profile on/off, and press and hold U/* button to toggle Bluetooth on/off.

Works at least on my E71-1 :|

Still won't work. I tried U/* and it will indeed activate/deactivate Bluetooth but when I hold the J/# key I just get ########

Ratkat
08-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Still won't work. I tried U/* and it will indeed activate/deactivate Bluetooth but when I hold the J/# key I just get ########

Both # for silent and * for bluetooth on/off work fine on my E71-1 too.

Jer
08-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Is there a setting someplace that I can't find that may have been disabled? My BT toggle works fine but not the silent toggle which is actually the one I would use.

Ratkat
09-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Is there a setting someplace that I can't find that may have been disabled? My BT toggle works fine but not the silent toggle which is actually the one I would use.

What product code (found under battery) are you on? and Model E71-1 ?
Some markets have it disabled, (usually UK)

Jer
09-10-2008, 05:39 PM
What product code (found under battery) are you on? and Model E71-1 ?
Some markets have it disabled, (usually UK)

E71-2

fone_fanatic
23-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Dial 1-800 then hit the bottom left key once and then the shift key next to it twice and then spell out the rest of the word. Hit send and it will convert the letters to numbers automatically. :icon14:

doesn't work on my e71-2 :(

Jer
23-10-2008, 09:10 PM
doesn't work on my e71-2 :(

I have an E71-2 as well. Make sure you hit send to see the magic. ;)

fone_fanatic
24-10-2008, 12:25 AM
I have an E71-2 as well. Make sure you hit send to see the magic. ;)

oops i was hitting the shift key only once, not twice, after the fn key.. works a treat! thats gonna make life a lot easier rather than asking to borrow some ones phone just to look at their keypad..

Also i found this out. when u open your menu and its arranged as icons, you have 3 rows and 4 columns.. these icons correspond to the numbers on your keypad. For example if you want to open the folder or app thats on the top left, you'd press 1, for the folder/app on the top right you'd press *, for anything between those its either 2 or 3.. for the bottom right app/folder it'd be 0 etc.. do you get it?

for example if your menu in icon view looks like this:
A B C D
E F G H
I J K L
To open A you'd press 1, 2 for B, 3 for C, and * for D, 4 for E, 5 for F, yada yada..

Jer
24-10-2008, 12:36 AM
oops i was hitting the shift key only once, not twice, after the fn key.. works a treat! thats gonna make life a lot easier rather than asking to borrow some ones phone just to look at their keypad..

Also i found this out. when u open your menu and its arranged as icons, you have 3 rows and 4 columns.. these icons correspond to the numbers on your keypad. For example if you want to open the folder or app thats on the top left, you'd press 1, for the folder/app on the top right you'd press *, for anything between those its either 2 or 3.. for the bottom right app/folder it'd be 0 etc.. do you get it?

for example if your menu in icon view looks like this:
A B C D
E F G H
I J K L
To open A you'd press 1, 2 for B, 3 for C, and * for D, 4 for E, 5 for F, yada yada..

Sweet tip! This one will come in handy too.

vbap
29-10-2008, 03:07 AM

Great tip! This works on my E71-1 for any phone number that has letter-mnemonics eg 13YARRA (I'm in Australia).

fone_fanatic
29-10-2008, 05:07 AM
some Web shortcuts

1 - Bookmarks
2 - Find on page
5 - Tabs open windows (when more then one window is open, hitting 5 will show them tabbed at the top like firefox and you can switch between them using left and right buttons then you can either select that window, close it, or close all other windows)
* - Zoom In
# - Zoom Out
8 - Page Overview
9 - Go To
0 - Homepage
Backspace - Close current window (when more then one window open)

Also if your viewing full websites (not mobile sites) and notice how it kind of jerks/skips and is a little slow scrolling up and down and left and right try disabling the Mini Map under settings-general to speed things up a bit.

Thats all i could find out by experimenting.. anyone know anymore? Maybe theres a shortcut to reload or add to favorites?

machimshin
11-11-2008, 06:45 PM
When in Gallery in images:
press Fn+* for fullscreen
press Fn+5 to zoom in
press Fn+0 to zoom out
press Fn+3 to rotate right
press Fn+1 to rotate left
When in Gallery in Videos:
press Fn+2 for fullscreen

batat
12-11-2008, 01:36 PM
I have an E51, \RM-244, 200.34.36., 24.04.2008.\, on friday evening calendar stops working until I change the date manualy! How to solve this problem?

reprovo
04-01-2009, 12:19 AM
hi.you probably already know this one but if you return to the homescreen from an application by pressing the red end call key you kill the application but if you press the menu key instead you will return to the homescreen without closing the application.when you press menu again a small circle by the application icon shows that its still open.

reprovo
04-01-2009, 12:20 AM
if this is already in the manual ignore me because to be honest i didnt read it

Jer
04-01-2009, 12:39 AM
some Web shortcuts

1 - Bookmarks
2 - Find on page
5 - Tabs open windows (when more then one window is open, hitting 5 will show them tabbed at the top like firefox and you can switch between them using left and right buttons then you can either select that window, close it, or close all other windows)
* - Zoom In
# - Zoom Out
8 - Page Overview
9 - Go To
0 - Homepage
Backspace - Close current window (when more then one window open)

Also if your viewing full websites (not mobile sites) and notice how it kind of jerks/skips and is a little slow scrolling up and down and left and right try disabling the Mini Map under settings-general to speed things up a bit.

Thats all i could find out by experimenting.. anyone know anymore? Maybe theres a shortcut to reload or add to favorites?

I'm glad a referred back to this because I've been using the long methods of doing this pretty regularly and I'm not sure how I missed your post the first time. I also turned off the mini map for a substantially smoother/better browsing experience. Thanks again for posting this and sorry for the belated props.

Jer
04-01-2009, 03:14 AM
Has anyone found a way to mark/unmark images quickly? For instance on page one someone posted that fn + ret would mark/unmark emails but it doesn't seem to work on my E71-2 and when I'm marking many images to move or something it's a pain to select options and scroll to it on each one each time. A simple key press option would be nice.

redshark313
13-01-2009, 12:07 PM
I would like to use this feature but it doesn't work on my E71 either, I just end up with ######## on the display. Bummer :frown:

Although the * key does toggle the bluetooth on/off.

My handsets details are:
09-10-2008
RM-346
Nokia E71-1 (221.06)

timsalmon
13-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Has anyone found a way to mark/unmark images quickly? For instance on page one someone posted that fn + ret would mark/unmark emails but it doesn't seem to work on my E71-2 and when I'm marking many images to move or something it's a pain to select options and scroll to it on each one each time. A simple key press option would be nice.

Do you mean whilst in File manager? If so, and bear in mind that I no longer have an E71 to test with, I think that shift and middleDpad will select multiple of files won't it? That is, move the highlight over each file then press shift and middleDpad thus producing a Mark (tick/check) then when you've finished marking them all use Options to Move?

Tim

Jer
13-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Do you mean whilst in File manager? If so, and bear in mind that I no longer have an E71 to test with, I think that shift and middleDpad will select multiple of files won't it? That is, move the highlight over each file then press shift and middleDpad thus producing a Mark (tick/check) then when you've finished marking them all use Options to Move?

Tim

Yeah, I found that on another forum and forgot to post back. It's the shift and then center D pad button to mark them all.

smapdi
21-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Does anyone know how to get a new text message be the default thing opened when you press the mail key for a long period of time? Right now it seems that the default action is to open up a new email....

Jay3gsm
23-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Does anyone know how to get a new text message be the default thing opened when you press the mail key for a long period of time? Right now it seems that the default action is to open up a new email....

I can't see a setting to change the long press to new SMS, I just have a list of applications I can set to it. Shame, on the E51 new SMS could be saved to that key.

redshark313
27-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Select "Messaging", another menu will appear where you can then select "New SMS". That is how it works on mine anyway (RM-346 running 110.07.127)

baloopa
20-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Tools, settings, general, personalisation, scroll down to one-touch keys and select it. Select messaging key, Select long press, and then select Messaging, this will bring up various options, including New SMS. Select that one.

angleofdarkness
05-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi, I've compiled and grouped some of the shortcuts from this post, and added a few of my own. I did not include some shortcuts listed previously that I could not get to work :)

NOTE:
Fn key = lower left key (gray)
Shift key = one key to the right of Fn key

Idle and Menu Screen
- Long press "M" (zero) = launch browser (or switch to browser)
- Long press left softkey at idle screen = unread text messages are read out loud
- In the menu screens (icon grid which is 4 columns by 3 rows), press any gray number key = launch the icon in the relative position (i.e. Click "1" = launch upper left icon, click "0" = launch lower right icon)

Messaging and File managment
- Hold Shift + Click Navi (or Return key) = mark/unmark a single item (in mail, file manager, gallery etc)
- Hold Shift + scroll Navi up or down = mark/unmark multiple items
**- Hold Shift + Click Navi (to mark a file(s)), then Fn + Click Navi to bring up Shortcut menu (File Manger shortcuts are: Move, Copy, Mark; Messaging shortcuts are: Listen, Reply, Delete, Move, Mark)
- Hold Shift + Backspace = Standard Delete key function (delete chars to the right of cursor position)
- Hold Fn + Spacebar = Shortcut menu in Notes and Messaging (i.e. turn on/off predictive text, settings, writing language, input method)
- Hold Ctrl + any vowel = scrolls through vowel accent options

Image Gallery:
- press Fn + * = toggle fullscreen
- press Fn + 5 = zoom in
- press Fn + 0 = zoom out
- press Fn + 3 = rotate right
- press Fn + 1 = rotate left

Nokia Maps
- Shift = zoom in
- Backspace = zoom out
- Space bar = current position

Browser
- 1 = Bookmarks
- 0 = Homepage
- 9 = Enter web address
- 2 = Find on page
- * = Zoom In
- # = Zoom Out
- 8 = Page Overview
- 5 = Tab display (like firefox, with multiple windows open you can switch windows, close, close all others)
- Backspace = Close current window (when more then one window open)

** this is my favorite shortcut, if you are doing a lot of file moving or organizing, it's very quick going through a list using "Shift Navi + Fn Navi" to move files ;)

weym
19-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Hi everyone! I canīt get that Page up/Page down shortcut (ctrl+up/ctrl+down) to work in the browser. Is there some additional shortcut for that? Itīs really pain to scroll up and down long pages, even with overview-function.

bored&agitated
29-03-2009, 10:09 AM
if you press and hold the d-pad button (the middle one), the form for a new sms message comes up.

John.Guzman
23-04-2009, 02:34 PM

You can change this in the settings....I have it set up like this.

Menu>tools>settings>General>Personalisation>On-Touch Keys>Messaging Key>Long Press>Messaging>New SMS

John.Guzman
24-04-2009, 02:31 PM
I can't see a setting to change the long press to new SMS, I just have a list of applications I can set to it. Shame, on the E51 new SMS could be saved to that key.

Trust me you can.....just selct messaging, and it will outomatically go to a new menu where you can select new sms. :)

tissage
04-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Copy and paste can, in some situations be done with Ctrl+C (but you need to hold down Func+Chr+C to get this on the keyboard). You can highlight text (in edit situations) by holidng the shift key and moving the direction pad. Copy will appear as on of the softkey labels.

Page up and page down are Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down. Again you access control by pressing the function key first (so Fn+Chr+Up on the keyboard. Doing this directly is awkward. You can press Fn then Ctrl+Up. If you doble tap the function key it becomes sticky (i.e. like cap locks and as tim describes above) and you can then do multiple page up and page downs eaily.

I have stickied this thread as I suspect it could be very handy for new users. Please feel free to add your own tips, shortcut and other such things. I may try and keep things consolidated if it gets confusing.

Am I an idiot? This doesn't work for me. I've had an E71 since November 2008 and I can't figure out how to cut and paste. This is particularly frustrating with urls. For example: even with Gravity that has an option to copy links to the clipboard, how do I paste them into my favourite browser?

akafudge
12-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Hi all, on my E51, I sould be able to press and hold the # key to switch between General and Silent profiles.

It does not seem to work.

Is it me or a known bug?

Cheers

shilpi
07-07-2009, 11:12 AM
just select messaging, and it will automatically go to a new menu where you can select new sms.

ilikee71
17-07-2009, 06:53 AM
I want to know about page up and page down, also cut, copy and paste. Any ideas?

Why you not try to read the e71 user guide to get the answer, I think all the keys are presented. it is at http://www.phonesir.com/Nokia_E71_user-guides.html

Jay3gsm
17-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Trust me you can.....just selct messaging, and it will outomatically go to a new menu where you can select new sms. :)

Been a while since I used the E71, back on it now, and that works fine :)

sibabar
20-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Hi. We receive attachments such as images/videos in sms inbox from any other phone via bluetooth. Is there any way to save all the attachments in one go. Like we receive 5 images in sms inbox and in order to save them in memory, we have to save them one by one. How to avoid saving one by one?

thnx
SIBabar

porkchop
05-02-2010, 07:06 AM
is there any shortcut keys that sets the home screen to active and basic at a click of button??

note I am not changing between personal and business....i am changing between active and basic

miraaa
27-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Well this is good information i was waiting to know this process.