View Full Version : Problems with the N95 on Orange?

trebius
02-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Hi,

I'm currently using a D900 on Orange, entering the last two months of my contract. Feeling I wanted to upgrade to a better class of phone I finally decided on either the black N82 or the N95 8GB depending on what price they offered me for the upgrade (I'm only on a 25 pm contract).

I rang up Orange today and the operator basically told me not to upgrade to an N-series phone on Orange as they're having severe firmware issues with the whole line, something to do with locking up and forced restarts. Well that, and the ridiculous price they offered me (280 upgrade fee in addition to the contract) completely put me off Orange-branded phones. Can anyone confirm such an issue with the handsets? I'd heard of problems with the original N95 but I gathered they had been "fixed" for the N82 and 95 8gb.

Anyway Three offer the phone for free on a 24 pm contract so I know where I'm taking my custom next! Just a shame I have to wait another two months to get hold of it! I assume there's nothing (except for the N96) that will come out before then that I might want to consider?

Thanks.
~trebius

sturgeon
02-07-2008, 07:12 PM
I have had an unbranded N95-1 on Orange since last August. No problems at all after several firmware updates.

s.

argh
02-07-2008, 07:20 PM
I had a branded Orange original N95 and didn't have any problems with it that weren't also present in the standard firmware of the same version.

I unbranded it later to get the improvements in the latest firmwares.

trebius
02-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks. Dunno what the Orange rep was talking about then! I wouldn't be surprised if it's the result of some directive coming down from above to slow down the sale of the N-series phones. They do seem to be topping the most desireable phone lists at the moment and can't be cheap to rebate for the networks.

Nevertheless Orange will be losing my custom once my contract runs out unless they can offer me a better deal!

~trebius.

RogerPodacter
03-07-2008, 04:53 AM
yeah that sounds like a bunch of rubbish that rep was feeding you. i dont understand why the n95 8GB wouldnt be free for you on a new contract? cause the best thing would be for you to take the free n95 or n82 from the carrier, and then debrand it yourself and flash it with the latest generic nokia firmware. this is what most people do on here as its always better to have unbranded firmware rather than the bloated, outdated carrier firmware.

mstruve
03-07-2008, 10:28 AM
This seems like as good a place as any to mention my problem with an Orange branded N95-1.

I recently upgraded the firmware to the latest on Orange (v13) from v11. The first time I did it, I had major problems - kept restarting itself before it had even loaded, or it would come up with "installing" then restart (this may have been due to a .sis installer file on the memory card attempting to load). Eventually I got it going enough to reflash the firmware and restore a minimum amount of data (just contacts basically), which is how it is at the moment. The problem is it keeps restarting itslef whenever I use more than about 2 apps at once.

Has anyone else experienced this with the upgraded frimware on Orange? It never happened at all on the old firmware. I'm reluctant to debrand and void my warranty as these things seem to be very temperamental and fragile, but is this my only option? Or could it be a RAM thing (too much data being stored on the phone memory)?

dez_borders
03-07-2008, 02:00 PM
[FONT="Arial"]
I rang up Orange today and the operator basically told me not to upgrade to an N-series phone on Orange as they're having severe firmware issues with the whole line, something to do with locking up and forced restarts. Well that, and the ridiculous price they offered me (280 upgrade fee in addition to the contract) completely put me off Orange-branded phones.

You can pick up an Unlocked Black N82 on eBay for about 200. Just go for a seller with high/good feedback and pay via PayPal for protection.

You could Upgrade on Orange for the quoted 280 but you may have to De-Brand the Firmware to get stable operations.
Although it is easy to do, De-Branding technically invalidates your warranty with Nokia. Your choice, as long as you are aware of the risks. ;)