View Full Version : First official next gen N-Gage sales chart released

krisse
26-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Nokia have published the first official sales chart for the new N-Gage platform, based on actual sales (unlike the "top 5" on the showroom page which doesn't seem to be a proper chart at all). They're not giving out any figures, but the chart tells us sales relative to other games. Click on the headline to see the chart.

Read on in the full article (http://www.allaboutngage.com/news/item/7548_First_official_next_gen_N-Gage.php).

krisse
26-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Nice to see COTD getting the sales it deserves. :-)

Sims 2 being in the chart is probably because it's just been released, but Tetris being there after all this time is testament to how powerful a familiar game brand can be.

Emo185
26-06-2008, 10:27 AM
another question to probably ask is this chart based on sales or is it based upon downloads / activations as Asphalt 3 has been the "game of the weeK" on the n-gage application.

krisse
26-06-2008, 10:31 AM
According to Ikona this is based on actual sales, i.e. people paying for the full version of the game, so this is the chart that really counts.

AFAIK the "game of the week" thing is just a promotional tool, I don't think it's intended as any kind of sales indicator.

sandy_1988
26-06-2008, 12:39 PM
I would have been happier if COTD was at the TOP. It deserves to be there. Regarding the other games, Asphalt and FIFA 08 are nice, but both Sims 2: Pets and Tetris are there only due to the iconic status of the franchises. If EA had made normal a normal Sims game, I think, it would be better for male customers. I really hate Pet games.

krisse
26-06-2008, 01:11 PM
If EA had made normal a normal Sims game, I think, it would be better for male customers. I really hate Pet games.

Lots of people of all backgrounds enjoy virtual pet games, and they'd be especially suited to being on a phone that you carry everywhere, so it's actually quite a wise decision to have pet games on N-Gage.

But the problem with Sims 2 Pets on N-Gage is the total lack of anything to do: no proper tasks, no unlockables, nothing to customise, no one else to play with, no other characters, only three locations etc. Whatever kind of game you enjoy, Sims 2 Pets doesn't deliver.

bartmanekul
26-06-2008, 01:14 PM
You know, I really was opposed to games on mobiles, back in the java games days. Thought it was a waste of time, and wasnt really possible.

However, after I installed picodrive and enjoyed such things as sonic, streets of rage etc, I realised Id love games on my phone.

The picodrive ones were just emulated as well, and not designed for it. So really looking forward to trying out ones that are.

Waiting patiently for ngage to support the 6220, and a bit more diversity in the games list.

A Baldars gate/neverwinter nights 2 type game would go down nicely.

Id like a constant list of rated games when Im buying, rather than just 'game of the week'.

krisse
26-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Waiting patiently for ngage to support the 6220, and a bit more diversity in the games list.

Support for that (and for the N78 and N96) won't come until they finish the FP2 version of the N-Gage application, so it will be a while yet. As soon as that becomes available, then we can start to wonder if the 6220 will be supported.

A Baldars gate/neverwinter nights 2 type game would go down nicely.

I think the problem might be that most phone gamers wouldn't really be into games that are so hardcore.

If you want console-style games, which it sounds like you do, then you'd probably be a lot happier buying a PSP.

Nokia got their fingers badly burnt on the original N-Gage, and that had some very good RPGs released for it which didn't really help sales.

I'm not saying a successful phone RPG is impossible, TibiaME is a great phone RPG for example (though it desperately needs updating now, it doesn't even support QVGA).

All I'm saying is if you're going to do a phone RPG it has to be playable in short sessions and affordable too, people won't spend 20 or 40 euros on phone titles.

bartmanekul
26-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah, Ive been following the ngage stuff and know that they are behind, especially with FP2 stuff. Hence I said 'patiently' ;)

I know RPGs like that are rare on mobiles, and for good reason really.

And generally more expensive to develop, since it requires more time than other gametypes.

Still, I can but hope.

Theres no way Im touching a dedicated console device though. Been there, done that with the lynx. Its all about convergance for me.