View Full Version : New: PC File Manager for Nokia 7650/3650 & SonyEricsson

TANKERx
06-02-2003, 09:23 PM
Anyone who has used a 92x0 machine will appreciate being able to browse the contents of their mobile device from the Windows Explorer shell on a PC or Laptop. Well, owners of Series60 and UIQ devices can now do likewise thanks to Epocware (http://www.epocware.com) who have released the PC File Manager (http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=308&jid=E6C9D29C7 AB42982ADAD3455BEA1X13B&platformId=4&productType=2 &productId=54977&sectionId=0&catalog=1).

http://www.epocware.com/screenshots/file_manager/nokia7650.gif

Features include;

[list]
* Browse files and folders.
* Cut, copy, paste files and folders.
* Rename and delete files and folders.
* Create new files and folders.
* View properties of drives, folders, and files.
[/list:u]

It costs $17.95 and can be purchased or trialled from this page (http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=308&jid=E6C9D29C7 AB42982ADAD3455BEA1X13B&platformId=4&productType=2 &productId=54977&sectionId=0&catalog=1) on Handango.

Robbie
07-02-2003, 08:25 AM
Quite simply probably the best app for the 7650. Now it is just a few clicks and you can move an order of files.

Fantastic superb genius app big thanks to the developers

simeonbubblegum
07-02-2003, 10:26 AM
Once again: REMEMBER NOT TO MESS YOUR PHONE with this new cool toy. For example you shouldn't touch c:\system if you are not 100% sure what you are doing!

Actually, it would be better that PC File Manager hides c:\system and e:\system by default and has an option to make them visible.

Another improvement would be to make possible to copy entire folders (with subfolders) to PC.

RussellB
07-02-2003, 09:38 PM
I just downloaded the demo and it's great. I mean, it works just like a Windows explorer for your phone. I've been waiting for this since I got my Symbian phone. Awesome.

I own a Nokia 7650 and a MSI Bluetooth card and I simply started up mRouter, and it saw the C:\ drive immediately. However, using FExplorer on my phone, I see a D:\ drive that doesn't show up using the EpocWare app though, I'm not sure why. Someone care to educate me on what the D:\ drive actually is? You don't see the Z: drive either... which is fine since it should be read only anyways.

I'm happy with what I see right now and am whipping out the credit card as I write. Hell of a job.

-Russ

simeonbubblegum
07-02-2003, 10:06 PM
Someone care to educate me on what the D:\ drive actually is?

It is the RAM drive, i.e. a place for temporary files. It is cleared every time you switch your phone off.

RussellB
07-02-2003, 10:19 PM
Thanks, simeonbubblegum...

Here's another thought I just had. I didn't have to install any software on my phone! It just worked! Now, I did tell my phone that my computer was "authorized" in my Bluetooth settings, but it seems amazing to me that I have full access to my entire "drive" on my 7650 from my computer without doing anything else.

How is this working from a technical perspective? Is it part of Symbian or part of the Bluetooth serial connection spec or something else? I'm really curious...

I agree, by the way, with the poster about copying entire folders and I did get a small error already copying a file. So the app could use some tweaking/debugging, but I'm sure EpocWare is on it.

-Russ

simeonbubblegum
08-02-2003, 06:06 PM
it seems amazing to me that I have full access to my entire "drive" on my 7650 from my computer without doing anything else.

How is this working from a technical perspective? Is it part of Symbian or part of the Bluetooth serial connection spec or something else? I'm really curious...

Since PC Filemanager requires PC Suite installed, it uses something called "PC Connectivity" in Symbian OS. So there really is a counterpart software on your phone end which talks via IR/BT with the PC end.

Or is somebody from Epocware going to elaborate this further ;-) ?

immateriaux
11-02-2003, 11:42 AM
Nuts - I was just reading down through the thread thinking "this is really cool" and how I would bounce out and over to that site to get this ap when I read the last bit.... "needs PCSuite". I'm one of those unfortunates who just never has been able to get pcsuite up and running on my machine... its installed alright, just always says that its "disconnected" even though mrouter finds my phone no problem.... So.... Given that mrouter works and i can still send and receive files using WinXP wireless transfer software do ye think I can use the file manager or am i still stuck? Any ideas folks... :-?

Rafe
11-02-2003, 12:22 PM
As I understand it the Epocwware software connects through the PC Suite mechanism, though not through PC Suite directly. My understanding of EPOC/ Symbina Connectivity is that there is a a Connection 'server' sitting on your desktop PC. I'm not sure what its called under Symbian 6 (have investigated carefully enough), but it used to be the PsiWin Connection Server whos icon was a squiggly line.

Anyway any software can use tis connection server to connect with the phone (I suspect Epocware have used the Symbian 6 Connectivity SDK), or the equivalent.

On your Symbian device there is a companion server / widget / applet (I'm not programmer so dont expect correct terminiology) that is activated (or maybe in the background all the time) when there an incoing request from the PC. Thus your phone is not open as such. Obviosuly for PC suite / connect server to be able to install things from the PC it needs to be able to access all areas of the device. Epocware have taken advantage of this to produce a file manager (though why one wasn't really included in the first place is beyond me).

Rafe

JyriK
11-02-2003, 01:07 PM
It just needs the mRouter to be installed not neccessarily PC suite.

immateriaux
12-02-2003, 10:03 AM
Thanks folks