View Full Version : how to add a reminder onto desktop

synoniv
12-06-2008, 04:20 PM
This one basic function that I had on my previous phone and now I cant live without it, may be because I'm growing old.
For adding a simple reminder On SE w960i I have to press 7 buttons using my hands and legs ! please help, cant figure it out after trying 2 weeks im going beserk this is not a complaint - the phone itself is smart, fast and versatile

trelloskilos
12-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi Synoniv

It might be in your best interests to change the standby mode of your W960i

The phone has 3 different setups for standby mode (or in laymans terms, the main default screen that the phone is always in) - Walkman, Business and none.

If you are in Business mode, then the phone will display anything you've put into your calendar on a daily basis. You don't need to do anything other than to write in your appointments/anniversaries/reminders etc. into the calendar, and the phone just does the rest.

To change the modes, go into the Menu -> Control Panel -> Device -> Standby application.

The default application for the phone is "Walkman". Change it to "Business"

Now come out of all the menus. The main screen will be the same, but instead of the Walkman function in the middle of the screen, you'll have 5 icons on the bottom, and maybe you might also have some words, like "Today" or "My Emails" on the main screen.

If you don't, then without going into the menu, select "More" in the bottom right hand corner, then 'Preferences' -> 'Today' and select "Always Display" (repeat as desired with the "My Email", "Tasks", "Calendar" and other submenus as well)

Now, whenever you enter a reminder into your calendar, the phone will display it on the main screen automatically for you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To add a reminder, select the Calendar icon on your phone (either through the menu, or by setting up a shortcut on the main screen. (Have a read of the manual to see how to change shortcuts. It is very easy!)

Use the jog wheel to scroll through to the correct date, and press the jog wheel in to select the date you've scrolled to.

Use the jog wheel again to scroll to the selected time and press the jog wheel in to select the time you've scrolled to.

Now you'll have four options. "Appointment", "Reminder", "All Day Event" and "Anniversary". Select which one you want, and fill in the details, set an alarm etc..

All done mainly by use of the jog wheel. No more pressing of 7 buttons! :)

When the day arrives, the phone will display that reminder on the main page.

Hope this is what you're trying to achieve, but if it isn't, then please post again, and I'll see if I can help further.

synoniv
12-06-2008, 10:19 PM
hi trelloskilos

Thanks very much for the info on changing to 'business mode', to access the calendar & reminder which is like 4 clicks less as I see it.

Still, I cant set an 'empty icon' available in the desktop of phone to directly invoke the 'add reminder' function without going via organiser or invoking the calendar menu. Or am I missing something here ?

Here is the steps I do while the phone is kept in the 'Business mode'

- Select a 'blank new icon' (diamond shaped icon) from the phone desktop
now it brings the screen that shows "shortcut to:" list
in the list, I select Application---> Calendar OR
Common taks --> Appointment OR
Common tasks ---> New Task

Doing the above changes the icon to the relevant one.

Still, you see, no option to add a 'reminder' in one or two click or by rolling the wheel!!
or in other words Common tasks ---> Reminder , is missing in my phone !!
Is it the same case with you too ? I dont want to sound like a dumbass, please let me know if it is same in your phone too.

Thanks !

synoniv
12-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Also, have you figured out a way to change the Calendar view to weekly by default.
In my phone the default is monthly, and it reverts back to monthly every time I exit the application.

I must say, I'm not highly impressed with the built-in calendar feature and its usabilty aspects, may be I should install a third party app (which is like more clicks! )

trelloskilos
13-06-2008, 08:57 AM
hi trelloskilos

Thanks very much for the info on changing to 'business mode', to access the calendar & reminder which is like 4 clicks less as I see it.

Still, I cant set an 'empty icon' available in the desktop of phone to directly invoke the 'add reminder' function without going via organiser or invoking the calendar menu. Or am I missing something here ?

I'm afraid that the steps I pointed out in the previous post all involved the calendar function. I guess it's a point of view, but I find the 'scroll/click use of getting to the month/day/time quite easy.

There may be a third party calendar/reminder app, which might solve your problem, but I don't know enough about these to make any recommendations...although I do know there is a freeware UIQ app which allows virtual post-it notes on the desktop, which might be a temporary workaround.....

Here is the steps I do while the phone is kept in the 'Business mode'

- Select a 'blank new icon' (diamond shaped icon) from the phone desktop
now it brings the screen that shows "shortcut to:" list
in the list, I select Application---> Calendar OR
Common taks --> Appointment OR
Common tasks ---> New Task

Doing the above changes the icon to the relevant one.

Still, you see, no option to add a 'reminder' in one or two click or by rolling the wheel!!

Hmm...I see what you mean. All of these pretty much still require a jog-wheel scroll to navigate & select the date & time (which is not what you want).
or in other words Common tasks ---> Reminder , is missing in my phone !!
Is it the same case with you too ? I dont want to sound like a dumbass, please let me know if it is same in your phone too.

Thanks !

No, you don't sound like a dumbass, and I have to admit, I can't see Common Tasks ---> Reminder on my phone, so it's not just you.

Sorry, but I've run out of ideas. Like I said, I find the scroll/click use of the jog wheel fine when selecting date & time for the appointment/reminder/calendar entry. I just wish I could work out the best way to help you set yours up.

trelloskilos
13-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Also, have you figured out a way to change the Calendar view to weekly by default.
In my phone the default is monthly, and it reverts back to monthly every time I exit the application.

I must say, I'm not highly impressed with the built-in calendar feature and its usabilty aspects, may be I should install a third party app (which is like more clicks! )

That's fairly easy....

Open Calendar, then click on 'More' - In the menu, select Settings ---> Alarm & Display ---> Set Standard View ---> Week View

If you aren't impressed with the calendar, then you should look into other 3rd party apps. Bear in mind, that you can still set up shortcuts to anything you install on the phone, but before you spend money, I would strongly recommend reading up as it seems that many of these apps have the same functionality as the default calendar app, but prettier graphics.

Good luck!

synoniv
13-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks trellos for the tip on changing the default calendar view.