View Full Version : Nokia N96 Shipping July 31

xx_chef_xx
31-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Nokiaís all singing-all dancing multimedia flagship, the N96 phone, looks like itíll be landing on July 31.

According to a pre-order page on Play.com, the sexy successor to the N95, which is jam packed with more techie features than Batmanís pants, is nearly here. That said - brace yourself - the pre-order price of £600 is a little staggering.

Iím putting this down to pre-order over exuberance [or price gouging] because the official price weíve heard about is more in the £410 range. So, donít pre-order. Still not cheap but then, youíre getting a lot of phone.

The N96, announced in February, is a 16GB slider with an in-built DVB-H TV tuner for watching digital TV on the go Ė in Ďselected marketsí.

It sports a 5MP camera with Carl Zeiss optics, flash and a video light for recording DVD-quality video at 30fps. Thereís a decent 2.8in display [though not as large as the iPhone's] but it does boast a very cool kickstand on the back that lets you prop it up on a table for easier viewing of video content.

Thereís Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HSDPA, a micro USB 2.0 port and microSD slot for adding another 8GB of storage.

Thereís also integrated GPS and geo-tagging for your photos, as well as integrated Web browsing via Nokia Web Browser. And letís not forget the couple of dedicated buttons for all those new N-Gage games.

dez_borders
01-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Nokiaís all singing-all dancing multimedia flagship, the N96 phone, looks like itíll be landing on July 31.

Surely the best place to get a Sim Free N96 upon release will be on Nokia's own website Shop???

N/A
02-06-2008, 06:57 AM
And dates on non-Nokia web sites offering preorders are always suspect. I wouldn't count on them being right, as I don't recall any cases where such sites have actually known the availability date before Nokia. Rather, monitor http://www.nokia.com/press when they issue a press release that a specific model has started shipping.

riverboat
02-06-2008, 04:08 PM
So will this DVB-H work in the uk...does this mean proper bbc news etc on the go?

N/A
02-06-2008, 04:15 PM
As far as I know, there are no DVB-H networks operational in the UK (which means, if that's the case, that the DVB-H receiver and related software in the N96 are not going to be useful in the UK at all).

dez_borders
03-06-2008, 01:56 PM
So will this DVB-H work in the uk...does this mean proper bbc news etc on the go?

My unerstanding is that DVB-H is the Europeran TV standard, not UK.

Hopefully Nokia will release a UK variant with a UK compatible DVB decoder.

I would avoid grey imports just in case!

N/A
03-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Thus far, despite what some people in the UK might think, UK is actually part of Europe and the European Union (EU), too. ;)

adrian87camaro
06-06-2008, 03:50 AM
I hope they come out with a North American model, like the N95.

ccraig
16-06-2008, 03:07 PM
My unerstanding is that DVB-H is the Europeran TV standard, not UK.

Hopefully Nokia will release a UK variant with a UK compatible DVB decoder.

I would avoid grey imports just in case!
There would not be 1 standard for europe and one for UK the EU standards are enforced on all member states and there is many country's in europe without DVB-H ,beside's the EC scrapped there plan of one TV standard.
DVB-H is not as widley available in Europe as people think and it'll take another 12 to 18 month's to see this feature being used widley.
But DVB-H license's have started to be distributed in countries like Germany and UK so we might see it soon
The UK was piloting DVB-H in 2006 so it's at more advanced stage than we think

bartmanekul
16-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Surely the best place to get a Sim Free N96 upon release will be on Nokia's own website Shop???

Dont they take much much longer to start selling the latest phones? I remember when trying to get my 6110, it was well over a month I had to wait, eventually got it from somewhere else.

capitaine
11-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Play.com at the moment is saying 29 Aug

Damn!

dorisall
12-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Is is gonna be another N92 or worse the s90 7700 ?

iolo003
20-07-2008, 12:47 PM
hope this comes out very soon, should be august, just in time for me to pick up a new phone upgrade..:mad: