View Full Version : N82 Owners...Should I swap my N95 for one???

surfshag
10-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Hi All.

I have a N95 and have been very happy with it so far.
I use it for most things from watching youtube to taking and uploading photos to the web... Oh and the odd phone call plu hundreds of TXT's

My contract is up in a couple of weeks and I fancy the BLACk N82.

I have read loads of reports and reviews on the N82 and everyone loves it but I would rather hear it from some owners.

What do you think of the phone.
Are the small keys ok to txt with?
is the camera as good as they say.
Whats its general use like and is the battery ok?

What are the down sides to the N82 there must be some?

Thanks in advance

Gary

Pawlee
10-05-2008, 11:11 AM
wicked fone, really impressed with it - the ram means it never really crashes (hasnt for me yet, but never say never) bit of a lanky fone but at the end of the day its a pretty good size
the buttons are fine, they look bad but in fact after gettin used to them theyre fine, the only problem i have is the media key - but thats such a little problem it doesnt really matter - and even hittin it by mistake doesnt matter because you have so much ram it doesnt slow down the fone much, just hit the button again to get rid of it and carry on
the camera is absolutely godlike, im pretty sure its the best camera out there, the only factor it falls short on is the fact theres no optical zoom, but even then id much rather have optical zoom than have one of them samsung fones with optical zoom...
battery life is pretty darn good as well, with heavy use of all its many features you can sap the life pretty quick, but even then you should have time to get it to a charger (charges well bloody quick too!) i have a charger at work and 2 at home so mine pretty much always have life, except for when i take it on a hectic night out and get snap happy (which i do a lot!)

the downsides... well, ive had to get mine repaired because i lost the bit that holds the simcard in place, but that was less the fones fault and more the fact i was off me trolly! :P
ermm and its incompatibility with macs, but again thats less the fones problem and more nokias problem
im strugglin to find downsides!! oh yeah, fingerprint magnet... but bleah, thats minor!

hope this helps, and remember, the people who review it are either owners or have owned it for a while

surfshag
10-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks for that.

Think I will have to try and get the Black one. It looks ok.

Thanks again

Gary

yade
28-05-2008, 06:21 AM
Definately a cracking phone. For long people say it is ugly or the keys are difficult to use. However its not that ugly (have you seen the N78, now thats ugly) and the keys although small because of the space between them are very easy to use. I actually think typing on my N82 is easier than on my N95.

The media key is a complete waste of space, it gets in the way of the c key and the right softkey and I never use it. I would gladly remove it if I could. Other than that the phone is solid build, the lens cover is excellent, if not a dust trap. I would rather have it than get the blurry images I used to get from the N95 8Gb. The ram is great, screen isnt fantastic but does the job and 2.4" is optimum size for QVGA. The GPS is much better due to the receiver being at the top of the device compared to the N95 + 8Gb where it is not only at the bottom but shielded by the slider (nice 1 Nokia). Everything else is pretty much the same as the N95.

I am a convert for sure and I will be with the N82 until Nokia releases another superphone, which the N96 just doesnt live up to.

surfshag
29-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Definately a cracking phone. For long people say it is ugly or the keys are difficult to use. However its not that ugly (have you seen the N78, now thats ugly) and the keys although small because of the space between them are very easy to use. I actually think typing on my N82 is easier than on my N95.

The media key is a complete waste of space, it gets in the way of the c key and the right softkey and I never use it. I would gladly remove it if I could. Other than that the phone is solid build, the lens cover is excellent, if not a dust trap. I would rather have it than get the blurry images I used to get from the N95 8Gb. The ram is great, screen isnt fantastic but does the job and 2.4" is optimum size for QVGA. The GPS is much better due to the receiver being at the top of the device compared to the N95 + 8Gb where it is not only at the bottom but shielded by the slider (nice 1 Nokia). Everything else is pretty much the same as the N95.

I am a convert for sure and I will be with the N82 until Nokia releases another superphone, which the N96 just doesnt live up to.

Thanks I got my N82 a week ago and I have to say its great.
Like you say the media key is in the way but I am getting used to it.
The gps is way way better than my old N95 and I too find the keys easy to txt with.

Gary

Dr Tran
02-06-2008, 04:31 AM
I have a black trial phone. I absolutely love and cant wait to buy one.
Keys perform a lot better than they look. Never judge a book by its cover, they say...
The Camera is as good as they say. The N95 cannot compete with lens cover + xenon flash
Battery is great. Much better than my N95.

Downsides? Fingerprints I guess. Kinda slippery, so its drop prone.

The media key is a complete waste of space, it gets in the way of the c key and the right softkey and I never use it. I would gladly remove it if I could.

Have you tried Tracker? It can customize the multi key and the last picture button and make them useful.

surfshag
04-06-2008, 06:40 PM
no mate not tried "Tracker" I have smart settings but this does nothing for the multimedia key.

Have you a link to it.

Ta
GAry

Dr Tran
05-06-2008, 03:16 AM
tracker:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/reviews/item/Tracker_for_s60_3rd_edition.php

yade
10-06-2008, 03:12 PM
I use Best Taskman to configure my keys but for some reason have kept the multimedia 1 standard. I am not sure why as I never use it, possibly because the multimedia menu looks good. I reconfigured the galery key for both long and short keypress which is good.

bkb
16-06-2008, 02:40 AM
if you have the N95 8gb theres not much difference but the classic N95 is quite slow compared to the N82. I was an N95 8gb user but my brother bought my phone now i have the black N82 , its really great, almost the same speed but better camera.

I strongly advise to switch to N82 if you have the N95 classic but if you have the N95 8gb, its almost the same.