View Full Version : Nokia launch the 5320 XpressMusic

slitchfield
22-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Nokia just announced a new S60 music and gaming focussed smartphone, the 5320 XpressMusic. There's a new 'Say and Play' feature (voice-controlled music playback), up to 24 hours of playback time (wow), a dedicated audio playback chip and USB2 transfer speeds for loading music on in the first place. Some PR details and images below.

Read on in the full article (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/7124_Nokia_launch_the_5320_XpressMu.php).

krisse
22-04-2008, 09:59 AM
This is the first non-Nseries N-Gage phone, incidentally. Hopefully we'll see it on the 6220, 6210 and 6120 as well.

I can't see any gaming keys though, can anyone else?

Look at this little detail though:

estimated retail price of 220 EUR before taxes and subsidies.

220 euros sim-free at the launch?! Add a few months onto that and we'll probably see it retailing sim-free for less than 200 euros (plus taxes of course).

Hardeep1singh
22-04-2008, 10:15 AM
The phone looks awesome, would like to see more details.

USB2 transfer speeds: Nice
dedicated audio playback chip: Sweet

Does it have..
Accelerometer?
Wifi?
3D graphics chip? (i know its not needed for n-gage but generally)

Unregistered
22-04-2008, 10:25 AM
At 220 euros?wifi?you must be kidding,

krisse
22-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Hardeep1singh, let's not get too ambitious for 220 euros... ;-)

This is pretty much the same specifications as the N81, but with a much longer battery life, and for half the price.

Even without wi-fi, that's a darn good bargain.

Unregistered
22-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Oh by the way,the gaming keys is the d-pad itself which is 8 directional

krisse
22-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Oh by the way,the gaming keys is the d-pad itself which is 8 directional

Hmm... not exactly what springs to mind when they say "dedicated gaming keys"... better than nothing though, I suppose.

Unregistered
22-04-2008, 12:09 PM
There's a button above the XpressMusic branding

sandy_1988
22-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Anyway they put the gaming buttons, let the gaming experience be enhanced. Afterall, they are promising 'Landscape gaming'. BTW, it seems to be a nice deal, as it packs N-Gage with it. Any word on the microSD in the sales package? 2 GB, or more?

viipottaja
22-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Look at the shapes around 2, 4/7, 5/6 and 8. To me those look like it could be that in gaming mode they are used as directions. And the fire button is on top next to the mic.

Nice grip enhancing textures at the back, and looks great overall (including 3.5mm jack) and fantastic price point!

What I do "worry" about that N-Gage might become exclusive to the N-series, Xpressmusic series and perhaps Xpressmedia/TS series.

bartmanekul
22-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Anyway they put the gaming buttons, let the gaming experience be enhanced. Afterall, they are promising 'Landscape gaming'. BTW, it seems to be a nice deal, as it packs N-Gage with it. Any word on the microSD in the sales package? 2 GB, or more?

Nokia site says 512/1GB, but that could well change.

krisse
22-04-2008, 12:55 PM
There's a button above the XpressMusic branding

Gosh, you might be right. I thought it was the light meter but looking at it closely it does look like a button.

What I do "worry" about that N-Gage might become exclusive to the N-series, Xpressmusic series and perhaps Xpressmedia/TS series.

I can't think of any reason why they might do that, especially as the success of gaming platforms depend entirely on the userbase being as large as possible.

This is the cheapest S60 phone so far, there's no reason for including N-Gage on the cheapest model but leaving it out of more expensive models.

Afterall, they are promising 'Landscape gaming'

You can get landscape gaming on all of the new S60s, as they have horizontal support as standard in FP2.

krisse
22-04-2008, 01:06 PM
It seems there IS a button above the XpressMusic logo, you can see it more clearly in the high res version of the publicity photo. It's got the same circular logo as the top gaming button on the N81:

http://www.allaboutngage.com/news/item/7125_Nokia_5320_XpressMusic_A_new_N.php

bartmanekul
22-04-2008, 01:20 PM
I notice you said the 6210N in the list for (hopeful) ngage, but I doubt it. If Steves chart is correct, the 6210N has naff all running RAM. 20MB if I remember rightly.

krisse
22-04-2008, 01:23 PM
I notice you said the 6210N in the list for (hopeful) ngage, but I doubt it. If Steves chart is correct, the 6210N has naff all running RAM. 20MB if I remember rightly.

The reference hardware for N-Gage is the N73, and the N73 will be getting the N-Gage app, so anything which matches or exceeds the N73 has a chance of being N-Gage-compatible.

According to Forum Nokia the N73 only has 14MB of free RAM, so pretty much any S60 made since then is a potential N-Gage phone.

bartmanekul
22-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Hmm, interesting. Have to see how that pans out.

viipottaja
22-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Krisse, "why they might do that"? Well, you know as well as anybody how important segmentation and differentiation is in the mobile phone business. Canvassing everything with everything (to simplify grossly) is not necessarily what Nokia wants and plants to do. As simple as that. And there are plenty of examples/presedents around.

Having said that, I of course hope N-Gage will be available EVENTUALLY (i.e. don't expect it to happen anytime soo) in almost any S60.

ayush3090
22-04-2008, 03:09 PM
"audio chip for hi-fi sound quality"

Sounds like another hoax.............they said the same fr my crappy 5700

viipottaja
22-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Calling 5700 a hoax is a bit harsh. It does have a dedicated chip (if I am not mistaken). Therefore, within normal marketing talk its perfectly fine to say it has high quality sound. Even the crappiest home stereo system would be marketed as the highest achievement in quality - its up to the customer to actually test the product before buying it to make sure it meets his/her expectations...

hargs48
22-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Of importance is that this is the 1st N-Gage compatible device with a 2" screen (look at specs at GSMArena) all other devices have been 2.4" and upwards...:icon2:

sandy_1988
22-04-2008, 06:20 PM
You can get landscape gaming on all of the new S60s, as they have horizontal support as standard in FP2.

I get landscape gaming even on my N73 (for Lament Island, Tilelander and many other S60 games, not to mention emulators). What I want to say, whether it's proper gaming. Being comfortable while gaming is what counts. And with candybars, gaming (on landscape) is hardly comfortable. That's why I want to see, whether they can give that experience.

viipottaja
22-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Hands on video (found via Symbian-Guru):

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/14138/15162/nokia-xpressmusic-5320-video-review.phtml

The guy does not appear 100% on top of what he is talking about as he (if I am not mistaken) says it has 8GB built in. :) Hope he is at least right when saying it will one of the phones offered with Comes With Music. Also, the gaming key on top (I hope it doubles as a gaming key) is also the Say and Play key. Essentially appears to be just voice recognition that has been available for speed dialing numbers for ages now. In the proto appears rather slow. Could be useful if you can use it with a mic headset, otherwise pretty useless gimmick.

bills2north
22-04-2008, 07:06 PM
... just plain sucks.

Once again real gamers suffer.

How about a bt gamepad sold separately.. maybe for 40???

I know that clipping an add-on device is complicated since many candybar phones are different widths.. but check out what nintendo did with the wiimote. It fits in a steering wheel, a guitar and a machine gun not to mention the nunchucks!

Our phones are worth more than a wii so we should ask for more! If Ericsson went to bed with Sony then Nokia could alope to Las Vegas with Nintendo and make baby wii-phones running N-gage! :D

davidmaxwaterma
23-04-2008, 01:22 AM
> up to 24 hours of playback time

As oppose to 24 minutes? ...24 days?

Strange to emphasise that word...sounds like an American thing.

Anyway, phone looks good. Hope it sells well.