View Full Version : "It's Normal!" Steve Reviews the Sony Ericsson Walkman W960

Ewan
10-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Are you siting comfortably? Steve quite likes the W960. The latest UIQ3 device, Sony Ericsson's second UIQ Walkman phone, with regular keypad, regular styling, flush screen and a practical 128MB of RAM, has made an impression. His thoughts on the W960 from the point of view of a smartphone user are here. I'll be looking at the Walkman components for the audiophiles next week.

Read on in the full article (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/6536_Its_Normal_Steve_Reviews_the_S.php).

ares
10-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Nice review Steve! I did not know the W960 could play h264 videos without problems...that is really good news, and i hope it will be also on the next P1 firmware

cirrus
10-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Nice review Steve!

I've been using a W960 and think the camera quality is pretty good despite not having fancy optics. I have some macro examples on Flickr: a shot of an 8210 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/james_nash/2175872337/) and one of some ice (http://www.flickr.com/photos/james_nash/2126187457/) (btw, pressing the "4" key in the camera app lets you quickly toggle between focus modes).

Unregistered
10-01-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm really loving the W960i. One comment on the review - the walkman touch buttons do work outside the walkman app. You need to touch the walkman section in the screen and they enable. Not entirely obvious! :-)

slitchfield
10-01-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't understand. On my W960, the play icons are completely disabled and unlit when not actually playing music in the foreground. The ONLY places they work are in the Walkman player and on the standby screen with the Walkman pane highlighted. 8-(

Dogmann
10-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi Steve

The only problem i would say with the fixable via Firmware upgrades is just how long SE likes to take to release these you could be waiting 6 months for the niggles to be ironed out. Unlike something like the N95 8GB that got two within months of release and that actually greatly added functionality and weren't just fixes. It's also hard to understand why SE are unable to fix these minor niggles prior to release, well lets hope 2008 and some new devcies change that.

Marc

Unregistered
10-01-2008, 11:15 AM
hello, Im using an E90 with 8GB micro sdhc and my w960i, the Nokia is perfect for my business usages and has all and everything I need, even docx office documents with some updates. It can also be used as mp3 player with this storage amount an a Nokia Bluetooth Stereo headset. But the W960i is my favorite music device. I earlier had the Nokia N95 and the 8gb version but if it comes to playback and battery power, the Nokias can hide behind the Sony. For me I found the perfect "business" and "media" device.
kr

malerocks
10-01-2008, 11:54 AM
A phone that has tempted Steve to give up his n95. Hmmm... definitely worth checking out...

malerocks
10-01-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm really loving the W960i. One comment on the review - the walkman touch buttons do work outside the walkman app. You need to touch the walkman section in the screen and they enable. Not entirely obvious! :-)
You didnt understand. What Steve meant was that since there are dedicated physical buttons available, they should work everywhere when the walkman app is on. Even while browsing through other apps like the calendar, phone book, the gallery, etc. I dont think it currently does that, does it?

Unregistered
10-01-2008, 01:29 PM
I don't want to be too pedantic...BUT...I really miss the fact that my old W800i would wake me up in the morning!! This device ( because it has Symbian - according to Sony tech support) cannot 'wake' itself up from being OFF. What's the point of an alarm fucntion that requires the device to be left ON all night? I hope some bright spark could maybe write an App that could do this oneday (fingers crossed)

Sometimes technology goes forward without fully appreciating that it's the little everyday things that make a 'good' machine 'great'. A device like this should be the sum of all that's gone before it, plus a little extra. Also I really thought the Light ON OFF function was VERY practical and was used often.

This is a beautifully featured phone and I really want to like it but I need preacticality too,
Lee

slitchfield
10-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Unregistered - I really don't understand. How can a device wake you with an alarm if it's turned off? Would your PC perform any action if you left it off? A smartphone is a full computer in disguise. Just put it in flight mode overnight rather than turning it off. The other advantage is that all your apps will stay running and it'll be a lot faster to use in the morning.

cirrus
10-01-2008, 01:56 PM
I suspect that Unregistered is referring to the capability of some phones to turn themselves on (battery power permitting, of course) to sound an alarm that the user has set. This means you get woken up even if you turned off your phone the night before.
AFAIK all Nokia S60 phones can do this for alarms set in the Clock application (not in the Calendar though).

Rafe
10-01-2008, 02:04 PM
My understanding that it is something only supported in the later version of the Symbian OS (feel free to correct me someone). S60 FP1 onwards allows this, but as cirrus says I think its only alarms in the clock application.

ares
10-01-2008, 02:07 PM
And i ask...why on earth would you like to turn off the phone when you have the flight mode??? Its completely pointless

Unregistered
10-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Comment: My understanding that it is something only supported in the later version of the Symbian OS (feel free to correct me someone). S60 FP1 onwards allows this, but as cirrus says I think its only alarms in the clock application.

My understanding was that it is something only supported by much earlier versions of the OS. If I remember correctly Psion 5s could do this!

I think that it was a feature that Nokia was never really interested in, so it never made it into any of their phones.

cirrus
10-01-2008, 02:23 PM
It could be my memory playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember being able to do this with a Nokia 6600 (which was S60 when it was still called Series 60! :P) and even a Panasonic X700.
(Note to self: Must try this out on old phones tonight!)

slitchfield
10-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Maybe some phones can do this. But again, it's a completely pointless thing to do. Why would you ever turn a smartphone off at night? You lose all the benefits of the multitasking OS etc.

Verbal_Kint
10-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Getting out of the walkman app can also be done by pushing the walkman button.. Probably the fastest way. Push once, walkman starts and your hardware buttons work. Push again, walkman goes to background.

Unregistered
10-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Erm...think I may be missing something here chaps. I see that a few people think it's weird to switch off your phone at night. I go to sleep at night and thus don't use my phone during this time. I switch OFF the phone so as not to deplete battery power.

I'm no eco warrior but surely things should be switched off when not in use??

Cirrus - Thanks for your input - yes you're correct I would like the alarm function to switch the phone ON from an OFF status. This is an extremely common function on every run-of-the-mill mobile phone. I have always used my phones as alarm clocks! Maybe this sounds silly to some of you but it's a great function!

I think perhaps you are all forgetting it's the little things that make a difference to the real practicality of a piece of technology. (The iPhone is a great example with its lack of flash and video capability.)

ps Slitchfield - what are these precious multitasking apps that need to run all night anyway? Are you an insomniac? Sleeping is a fun way to spend the night AND it's free (often with entertaining dreams...zzz) ;o)

Lee

Unregistered
10-01-2008, 03:57 PM
"I have always used my phones as alarm clocks!"

Me too. OggPlay (a freeware music player for S60) is my alarm clock!
But it does require that a) the phone is left switched on and b) OggPlay is left running for it work.

hduty
10-01-2008, 04:45 PM
"But it does require that a) the phone is left switched on and b) OggPlay is left running for it work."

Can you set a repeating alarm for certain days, or do you need to reset it every day?

slitchfield
10-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Lee: the amount of battery power taken by a phone with inactive display and no radios working (i.e. flight mode overnight) is negligible. And no, I don't run apps all night. The point is that they're loaded in RAM, which means that when I want them in the morning, they appear instantly and I don't have to wait five seconds each while they start up, as I would if I'd turned the phone off. Not to mention the boot up time.

60things
10-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Just now I tested it on my N80. It does sound the alarm even when it's switched off. After I selected 'Stop', I get a dialog: 'Switch on phone?'

buster
10-01-2008, 06:08 PM
People find the weirdest things to complain about.

Why on earth would you buy a smartphone, choose to use it as an alarm clock (don't you have a real alarm clock?), but still insist on turning it off every night?

And anyway, even if you do this, it seems that the alarms sound anyway, so what's the problem?

Unregistered
10-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi to those who replied, think I've learned a little bit about where you guys are coming from so it's not been a total loss throwing a line out here...seems everbody leaves their 'smart'phones on nowadays.

However Buster, my point was why put a 'wake up' alarm clock function on the phone in the first place that relies on the phone being switched on!), and what's with the 'smartphone' attitude, I bought it to replace a 'normal' phone so excuse my 'smartphone' ignorance. Perhaps at 35 I'm getting a bit of a technical dinosaur and am a bit 'old school' for all this.

"Me just like de look of de buttons and like dat musicy stuff duh! Ug!"

Thanks again for the ritual humiliation that is 'asking a reasonable question on the internet'
Lee the fat fingered useless old fashioned tw*t! (* can be either it's up to you)

ares
10-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Steve, just tried the latest smartphone show h264 clip, and it works fine on my P1. I guess that is natural, because both the w960 and P1 share the same latest firmware organizer version

Unregistered
10-01-2008, 10:15 PM
"Can you set a repeating alarm for certain days, or do you need to reset it every day?"

No it's just a simple daily alarm. It does have a snooze timer though.

"choose to use it as an alarm clock (don't you have a real alarm clock?)"

Real alarm clocks don't have all my songs stored on them. Why get woken up by some random music or DJ talking when you can be woken up by your favourite music?

Unregistered
10-01-2008, 11:00 PM
slitchfield said "Why would you ever turn a smartphone off at night? You lose all the benefits of the multitasking OS etc."

i need some clarification on this please. are you also saying that using a task manager (in-built or 3rd party) to close running apps. is a pointless exercise as well?

if youve got loads of apps "running in the background" all the time isnt that just going to eat away at your battery life?

slitchfield
10-01-2008, 11:18 PM
slitchfield said "Why would you ever turn a smartphone off at night? You lose all the benefits of the multitasking OS etc."

i need some clarification on this please. are you also saying that using a task manager (in-built or 3rd party) to close running apps. is a pointless exercise as well?

if youve got loads of apps "running in the background" all the time isnt that just going to eat away at your battery life?

Nope. 'Running' means 'loaded into RAM', there's no implied loading of the processor. For well written apps like the built-ins, anyway 8-)

Unregistered
10-01-2008, 11:42 PM
slitchfield said "And no, I don't run apps all night. The point is that they're loaded in RAM, which means that when I want them in the morning, they appear instantly and I don't have to wait five seconds each while they start up, as I would if I'd turned the phone off. Not to mention the boot up time."

apologies for being a bit slow but im not getting this. so do you use a task manager to close apps. or not? and if you do close apps this way does it mean they are no loger loaded in the ram?

RogerPodacter
11-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Umm some of you guys are smoking some good stuff! ALL nokias i have ever owned automatically turn on the phone to sound the alarm if you happened to turn the phone off before you go to bed. my s40 6131 did this, and certainly my n95 does this. when you go to sleep some people turn their phones off, and the alarm still sounds.

Unregistered
11-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Another Unregistered wrote "Thanks again for the ritual humiliation that is 'asking a reasonable question on the internet'".
I hear you, brother. Mobile phone forums in particular can be particularly brain dead, even if it's ofteen brain dead questions. This forum actually seems much better than most.

buster wrote "Why on earth would you buy a smartphone, choose to use it as an alarm clock (don't you have a real alarm clock?)"

Sorry, but I think that that is a VERY strange comment for a smartphone enthousiast to make.
Allow me to demonstrate. One could easily replace "alarm" with:
- PDA (Calendar, address book, note pad)
- MP3 player
- video
- photo camera
- video camera
- e-mail application
- radio
- TV
- book (e-book)
- almost every other smartphone function, perhaps even including the actual phone.

See what I did there?

Jejoma
11-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Steve, you commented on the difficulty of switching applications. So long as the application you want to go to is running it can be quickly and easily accessed through the Task icon on the top right of the screen.

tri_fin
11-01-2008, 04:46 PM
I don't think its wierd at to use your 'smart' phone as an alarm clock. A big part of a smart phone is its calender / reminder functions - an alarm is part of that. Don't you think?
- Why do people think something they don't use is wierd - cant you understand everyone has different needs than you?!? haha

I also thinks it a reasonable request to have it wake from standby.

Steve my media centre pc turns on to record programs and then back off again. My NAS turns on to do backups and off again.... hehe

cirrus
11-01-2008, 05:20 PM
While I rarely turn my phone off, I think it's fair enough if others want to do so. Different strokes for different folks!

Regardless, I think auto-booting to sound an alarm is a useful feature to have. Perhaps, your phone dies while you are out and you plug it to charge when you get home but don't bother to switch it on because you're knackered or whatever. And perhaps you have a crucial job interview the next day and can't afford to oversleep... you never know, it could happen! :tongue:

Anyway, I think this thread is going a bit off-topic, so... umm... W960 is nice but not perfect. However, I for one welcome our new 8gig overlords. ;)

Does anyone here have both P1 and W960. From what I've read the software should be almost identical except that the W960 has a flashy Walkman music player. Is this correct? I'd be curious to know what other differences there are if any.

Unregistered
11-01-2008, 05:42 PM
I turn my phone(s) off to save battery life.

S60 phones that have working alarms that I know of, 6630, N70 , e61 and N73. Great, I use
this feature all the time on holiday (not all phones tho :-)) and other times.

malbry
11-01-2008, 11:03 PM
We've had several discussions about encoding with the H264 codec, how H263 just doesn't give the same quality etc. Several UIQ users asked Steve to reconsider, since UIQ phones (which are Symbian after all) don't handle H264 well. Steve said he couldn't do that because of ... well, some video production reason that we didn't really understand.

Now, we are getting excited because the W960 and the latest P1i firmware apparently play SS50 in H264 format after all. Goodness me, what did we all make the fuss about?

Only ... well, Steve's having a little joke with us all. It turns out that Steve encoded SS50 in H263 format. The W960 and P1i play SS50 because ... it's *not* H264 format. And, with all due respect, was the quality so noticeably different? No. Because at the bitrate Steve uses, H263 gives perfectly acceptable performance and quality.

So, thanks for listening to us Steve :-) Now it's OK to 'fess up' and admit that you fooled us all. Oh, and now we've seen that it works, let's keep the codec at H263 for all we UIQ3 users ;-)

And, seriously, keep up the good work with the Smartphone Show and all your stuff on AAS.

Best regards,
Malcolm
www.freepoc.org

slitchfield
12-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Eh? How do you work out that it's H.263? My video software told me it was making H.264 - and my E61i can't play it, so it probably is some H.264 dialect...

Can you be more precise as to what your video software is reporting the ss50.mp4 file as?

Steve
PS. regarding video software problems - it's a whole Windows Vista incompatibility saga - that's had me tearing my hair out. You really don't want to know. Or go anywhere near Vista if you have anything to do with video.

malbry
12-01-2008, 05:10 PM
SS50 is definitely not H264, Steve, as you can see from the attached jpgs. It's regular MPEG-4. That's why the P1i and W960 play it just fine.

And let me just make the 'quality' point again. There's no question that H264 is a better codec than MPEG-4/H263. But on a 240x320 screen, at video resolutions above (say) 350kbps, for podcasts (as opposed to ripped DVDs), you don't really see a difference. Except that: quite a lot of current Symbian devices don't play H264.

So please stay with the same codec that you used for SS50. It does the job just fine ;-)

Best regards,
Malcolm
www.freepoc.org

Unregistered
12-01-2008, 05:53 PM
The problem with UIQ's alarm clock is not really that it doesn't work when the phone is switched off imho (still, that functionality just should be there too), but that it doesn't make the tiniest bleep when the phone is in silent mode.

I keep my phone in silent mode practically all the time, and if I forget to turn it off, I'll sleeping happily until I wake by myself, instead of being woken by the phone, which just displays a mocking alarm message on its display...

slitchfield
12-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Steve, you commented on the difficulty of switching applications. So long as the application you want to go to is running it can be quickly and easily accessed through the Task icon on the top right of the screen.

No, I commented on the difficulty of switching to anything FROM the Walkman app 8-)

slitchfield
12-01-2008, 06:30 PM
So please stay with the same codec that you used for SS50. It does the job just fine ;-)

www.freepoc.org

Except that I'm still finding it hard finding video editing suites that will run under Vista and both handle smartphone MP4 reliably and render it again afterwards. Video software seems buggy to the extreme. 8-((( So far, I've been through Quicktime Pro, Ulead Video Studio 10 Plus, Power Director 6, Pinnacle Studio 11 - sigh.

Just to reiterate, the switch away from H.264 (it seems) wasn't intentional. I agree Malcolm's screenshots appear to show no H.264, but that then begs the question of why the E61 et al can't play the video properly. Just goes to show how complicated digital video can be!!!

tonyn
12-01-2008, 07:02 PM
This was a handy feature on my old Nokia 6310 and I think it had been standard in Series 40 for a long time before. It has been in all the Series 60 / S60 devices I've looked at.

It allows me to turn off my phone at night so that I don't get calls whilst I'm sleeping, and still have a wake up alarm from the phone in the morning. :)

ares
13-01-2008, 12:15 AM
as mentioned before, by putting your phone on flight mode (all smartphone now have it) you also wont get any calls, spent a negligible amount of battery life, and let your smartphone apps work as they should all the time, without any valid reason to turn the phone off. On other hand, i should mention all SE dumbphones alarms work with the phone turned off - but they arent smartphones, so...

Unregistered
16-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Just taken delivery of the 960... nice phone.
I noticed on your opening image that the phone is on Vodafone, how did you remove the Vodafone live icon?

Sorted it.... Debranded it without any problems.... Goodbye Vodafone Live..... Hello Sony Ericsson!

Unregistered
23-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Brad Paisley, brad paisley lyrics, brad paisley online lyrics, brad paisley i\x27m still a guy, brad paisley song, brad paisley new song, brad paisley fishing song, brad paisley music, brad paisley alcohol, brad paisley ticks, brad paisley whiskey lullaby, <a href="http://akonringtones.webs28.com/?">Brad Paisley ringtones</a> brad paisley, brad paisley lyrics, brad paisley songs, brad paisley online, brad paisley letter to me, brad paisley 5th gear, brad paisley i'm still a guy lyrics, brad paisley concerts, brad paisley tabs, brad paisley myspace, Brad Paisley ringtones (http://akonringtones.webs28.com/?)

Pantersen
24-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Hi folks,

nice discussion you have here about SE W960i :) I consider buying it soon but I have some questions since I am a noobie in smartphones and I hope you can answer them.

I was wondering what is the playback time of music and video (depending on the codec used). I know that W960i's processor is 200MHz which is not that much for smooth playback and heavy loads but it is definitely good for battery life. So if any of you has any impressions on playback time or made such tests, please feel free to share with us ;)

Another thing that bothers me are firmware updates. I made a quite thorough search in the internet about upgrading the OS from Symbian 9.1 to a newer version, but it seems that this is only possible through firmware updates coming out by the SonyEricsson site only. Am I right about that? And are these updates possible using just the bundle USB cable in the factory box or do I need a special device to upgrade as it stands with my old SE K500i?

Thanks a lot,
Pantersen

thomas_69
29-01-2008, 05:30 PM
hello everyone,
My problem is that any time i am going to send a sms i charged for 2 or 3.
That happens after 71 characters(2 sms).
how i can send 1 sms with 180 characters??

Unregistered
13-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Hi,
I switched from K750 to W 960 after a long wait and only 2 things i really miss. The on off light option and also the various options we had ( with K 750) in profile like outdoor, in car, at home etc. They worked for me then. Wander that might not be too popular a feature.

Any comments?

HK

Unregistered
14-02-2008, 04:07 PM
I've had this phone for over a fortnight now and after my first few days of praise for the phone, things started going a bit south. I was impressed at how well all the features on the phone worked (like WLAN/WiFi, Bluetooth, GPRS, MP3, Video etc.) but have started seeing more and more issues with the simplest of user interface tasks.

My advice to anyone using this phone would be to turn off the screensaver (the picture that appears before the screen dims), turn off the Today screen if possible and disable automatic keylock. The screensaver will appear over incoming calls if you don't pick up quick enough so you can't tell who's ringing or what you're doing. The keylock does similar antics for incoming calls and calender alarms, effectively turning your handset in to a singing brick until you have to remove the battery. With these two removed, I'm starting to see a lot more stability.

The camera application seems to have been an afterthought as well, which I was very disappointed with considering the surprisingly good quality of my W900i

I'm really hoping they start making fixes for this soon - and don't leave it as a "Whoops, don't worry, we'll be one the money by the time the XPERIA is out!"

-Kijduse

Unregistered
15-02-2008, 07:05 PM
You mentioned in one part that it has a tiny mono speaker(undesirable)..
what does mono mean?? I have a W810i at present... I dont care what the definition of MONO states... I hope it sounds better than W810i... Does it?

Please reply as I have to decide by end of the next week whether to buy 960i or not!

Thank you.

Maverik
15-02-2008, 08:37 PM
I currently own a W810i and wow! thats a piece of art.
It does so much already- am I gonna be satisfied with W960i?

As some ppl said earlier it does not have a light on-off option..
I really need that coz the Govt here SUCKS! & I'm in the dark often at night... it would be really disappointing to know that there's no light option!

Also- "A PC can wake up on its own!!"- it's known as a RTC Alarm & its in the BiOS of your Motherboard..
ASUS A8M-VN does it(I've tried it on mine!)
RTC-(Real Time Clock) this is the same concept on which the W800/810i & lots of other fones ring alarms even when turned off!

Take any Sony Ericsson fone press direction keys-

Left
Right Right
Right

after pressing the exact combo you will see a secret menu opened you would see 3 options..
go under "Service Tests" check "Real Time Clock" there- It proves my point!!

Well People who have 960i please try it too..
tell me what yol see?
Please Please tell me how is the sound from the speakerfone?? is it better than W810i? if not then Balls to 960i!
Im better off with 810i-

Please Reply.
Screw Sony Ericcson for being careless in putting together such a beautiful 960i- I hope the firmwares are with some fixes...:con?

:frown:

desertrat
17-02-2008, 06:17 AM
Would your PC perform any action if you left it off?Since around 1997 (or whenever it was when the ATX motherboards/PSUs were introduced), there have been an option in the BIOS to set the computer to switch itself on at particular time.

Maverik
17-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Yeah you are right...
dont mind me mentioning it-
Some guy was just saying sarcastically that does my PC start automatically??

I just quoted on his line saying that RTC functions in BIOS helps to do that...
also if you read the initial comments some guys are arguing on the alarm function..

even sony ericsson uses the RTC concept to sound alarms even when the phone is switched off!

Maybe I am a little too late giving out the info.. heh heh!

Unregistered
17-02-2008, 11:41 AM
how do i unbrand my phone. is it safe? someone said i could turn my phone into a "brick", what does this mean apart from the obvious?

Unregistered
22-02-2008, 12:24 PM
There is a review about the music player on here that is just plain wrong!

It says it fails the pocket test because you can't access the buttons from your pocket.

The volume controls change track up and down if you hold them for a second or so, and you use the button on the basic head set wire to stop and start music.

Still a great sound that doesn't go load anougth bay far, no user EQ only presets!!!!
and mega bass as only one of the presets, can't use it with a setting :evil:

and that massive pause between track...5 seconds sometimes WTF

Try again sony :eyesroll: could of been a great allrounder but the video recorder and camera are no where up to smartphone standard, stop trying to fool us sony....I'm going nokia by by!

Nattshants
02-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Helllo People-I may sound silly, I'm a young nurse whom loves her gadgets and love my S/Erricssons-I want the sony erricsson W960 as I'm a textaholic/snap-o-holic..(love the feel/buttons/running of it!), taking note of the 8GB memory-but no flash!?-I am maybe silly looking into this-as do use the running aps of memos/calender/diary type functions, but do need an alarm!-if so maybe I'll settle for the K770i....Feedback pls...Natalie,23 (a young dinosaur-but needs advice!)

Unregistered
13-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Though being a walkman phone its ridiculous that the walkman 3.0 player does not allow real media songs to be added to the playlist. It accepts only mp3 tracks on the playlist. I need to play real media tracks 1 by 1 from the file manager which is real stupid. But P1i which has basic walkman player version allows to add real media tracks on to the playlist which is so convinient. I prefer having rm songs cos they r 5 times lighter than mp3's which allows me to store more songs. I hope SE rectifies this problem with the next firmware upgrade

bardez
01-04-2008, 01:32 PM
re: earlier comments, previous SE phones had alarms that worked when the 'phone was switched off..

But, my query is how to set the alarm for gradual increasing volume as opposed to full blast from the offset (leaving me doing a cat on the ceiling impersonation).

The call ringing has increase volume still but it seems to be lacking on the alarm?

Unregistered
23-04-2008, 09:21 PM
the volume on my w960 doesnt go very loud, is any 1 else having the same problem??
other than that i love the fone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unregistered
24-04-2008, 05:52 PM
i jus bought a w960 today...and i really feel hard use after i try,cos im using nokia from last,somebody can help me?my problem is how to transfer movie from pc to phone?isnt relly need buy a software from internet?

Unregistered
27-04-2008, 04:03 PM
if u up grade the media manager it has a converter 4 the mp4s. it converts it and transfers it in 1 go, which is very conveniant.

Unregistered
05-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Atlease w880i is able to play h264/mp4 with h264 video being baseline and level <= 1b (1.1 works if you don't tell that in metainfo that it's 1.1). So I think symbian-based w960 should be able to play atleast that 1.0 level stuff ?

Unregistered
01-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Great review.

I have had my w960 for about 3 weeks and it takes some getting used to. But i love it. I have a full movie on my phone to watch as and when i please along with plenty of music tracks with plenty more space to spare. Also i love the very loud ringtones.

Bad points:

Camera takes too long to start up and take a pic so if you want a quick picture then you are stuffed.

I would like a flash player or similar to view online videos. i.e youtube, phone does not support this.

Not many bad points but do think that the play icons should stay lit while music is playing.

Just my load!

Jason

mreda
09-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Having a real trouble deciding which phone to go for.
w960 or nokia n78

Any advises......would be highly appreciated.
Thanks

Unregistered
27-08-2008, 05:54 AM
Good Morning,

I've got a question: Is it possible to synchronize sonyericsson cell phones with a mac? I had a v630i and later a blackberry 8110 and had problems with both to connect them with my iMac G5.

Do you know more?

Cheers

Unregistered
22-11-2008, 04:21 AM
I just got the W960 & I really love it. Just a few things though, it is a little bulky, but I guess that's okay since it can do so much. However, I wish we could use the VGA 3G camera for photos. And perhaps it could be made possible for portrait photos to be taken.
Also, does anyone know how to change the font colour? When I use the 'walkman' theme, and when I'm in messaging and using the dictionary, I cannot see the alternate word options because they're black. & yes I'm kinda annoyed with the dedicated playback buttons which are disabled at other apps. The lack of the up down left right buttons is a little disturbing but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Another thing, most phones allow files to be sent via bluetooth, and even if your bluetooth is off, it will switch it on for the file transfer, and then off following that, but in this phone, they will ask you to turn it on and after the transfer, you have to go and switch it off yourself... a little annoying since I've left it on accidentally and my battery dwindled really quickly.

Great review btw!
Cheers(:

5OUL0_
23-11-2008, 05:29 PM
I didn't know how to start a new thread but i had 3 questions for my w960

1. In my call list, why is there a (+) next to a particular contact of mine?
2. How do i fix the time on incoming messages. It's currently a few hours ahead
3. Where can i receive firmware updates now that SEUS no longer supports w960?

PLEASE REPLY!!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE ! ^^

Unregistered
04-05-2009, 10:16 AM
the volume on my w960 doesnt go very loud, is any 1 else having the same problem??
other than that i love the fone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the same problem and I never thought i will find a solution. The solution for listening with headphones are SE HBH-DS980. Volume becomes louder than on previous phones such as k750 :)

Unregistered
30-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Hey you all calm down. I cant believe you're all arguing over some alarm function. My N70 can wake me up with alarm even when it's turned off. But i observed that it would use much more battery energy than if i activated offline mode and set up the alarm. If you really like the 'ressurection capability', just wait for firmware fix or new app. Otherwise, i recommend the offline mode tips.

Unregistered
23-08-2010, 08:40 AM
How can I keep a history of my my sent messages and the delivery report details?