View Full Version : Nokia N82 the successor to the N95?

King Mustard
12-12-2007, 06:57 AM
Would you consider the Nokia N82 the successor to the N95? It seems the same specifications-wise but with an added Xenon flash to the 5.0 MP camera.

rottie
12-12-2007, 07:55 AM
It's better but it's not a direct successor.
Different form factor, no big improvement in specs and mainly - lower model number.

sturgeon
12-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Would you consider the Nokia N82 the successor to the N95? It seems the same specifications-wise but with an added Xenon flash to the 5.0 MP camera.

Variation on a theme.

Smaller screen, smaller keys on keypad, no infra red.

s.

chaslam
12-12-2007, 10:35 AM
I actually see the different Numbers in the Nseries as different devices completely. Lets take the N9x range for instance. The N90 was the first with that form factor and such a good camera, N91 was first with memory, N92 was first with that form factor and DVB-H, N93 was first with the video recording quality, and N95 was first with duel slider and 5MP camera. So, it seems to me that, obviously, the N9x range are their main flagship range, and then it seems as if the lower ranges follow suit to those if you see what I mean?

N82 is pretty much a N95 in a different form factor. Ok, you have a few things different, like smaller keys and infared, but added things like active accelerometer and xenon flash.

yade
12-12-2007, 11:22 AM
I have to get the N82 to replace my N95....

Have a look at this review:

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n82-review-195.php

Also this is a really good win for the N95!!
http://www.gsmarena.com/5_megapixel_faceoff-review-191.php

I am now thinking that the Carl Zeiss optics and 5mpix sensor that are in these phones is miles ahead of SE and Samsung. The new Samsung with optical zoom is done with such tiny optics it's as much of a gimmick as digital zoom. I thought with Sony and Samsungs camera capabilities away from phones they would be ahead of Nokia but nokia have everything spot on from N95(v20) and N82 interface, speed and image quality. I cant see anyone catching up!!

bartmanekul
12-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Isnt the iphone better than all of them?

Sorry ;)

I like the N82, if I had spare cash Id get one. Maybe by the time Im at the end of my contract vodafone might be doing them.

N82 is superiour in my eyes, apart from the screen size (which doesnt bother me).

So for me, yes its a successor, but from nokias point of view probably not meant to be.

King Mustard
12-12-2007, 11:50 AM
I am now thinking that the Carl Zeiss optics and 5mpix sensor that are in these phones is miles ahead of SE and Samsung. The new Samsung with optical zoom is done with such tiny optics it's as much of a gimmick as digital zoom. I thought with Sony and Samsungs camera capabilities away from phones they would be ahead of Nokia but nokia have everything spot on from N95(v20) and N82 interface, speed and image quality. I cant see anyone catching up!!
The K850i camera is better than the N95 camera in all respects (quality, speed, night-shots etc.). However, the N82 seems better than the K850i now.

Dogmann
12-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Hi all,

Well i don't think better is a good way of describing it they are different although one may be better than the other for each user. I have no need or use for the Xenon Flash in fact the Camera and Video recording could be missing from the N95 8GB and i still would of bought it but that's just my needs and may not be anyone else's. Personal preference and what we find pleasing to the eye is what would decide which one is preferred.

@King Mustard

Maybe the K850 on paper has those mentioned advantages but in the real world and now that is just not so. Also the K850 is a Camera phone and that's it really, it is slower to boot and in all operations bar perhaps the Camera but as that is not functioning correctly for most users that doesn't count for much. It appears the K850 has not followed in the footsteps of it's predecessors and currently is functioning well below par and for a Camera centric device it's Video recording is well below what can be found in many other devices especially at it's price point. Currently there are a lot of very disappointed and even angry SE fans.

Marc

dchky
12-12-2007, 01:27 PM
The K850i camera is better than the N95 camera in all respects (quality, speed, night-shots etc.). However, the N82 seems better than the K850i now.

What are you smoking? The K850 camera is only sometimes just barely better when taking shots in the dark, otherwise the N95 beats it hands down in every way. I have both, the K850 takes washed out looking images compared to the N95. The K850 also has an annoying pin cushion in the lens. Try taking a picture of building windows to see it clearly - The N95 is all linear, while the K850 shows warping of the image.

The K850 doesn't do VGA video either.

If you already have a K800 there's not much point in going for the K850, there's very little difference.

King Mustard
12-12-2007, 01:30 PM
What are you smoking? The K850 camera is only sometimes just barely better when taking shots in the dark, otherwise the N95 beats it hands down in every way. I have both, the K850 takes washed out looking images compared to the N95. The K850 also has an annoying pin cushion in the lens. Try taking a picture of building windows to see it clearly - The N95 is all linear, while the K850 shows warping of the image.

The K850 doesn't do VGA video either.

If you already have a K800 there's not much point in going for the K850, there's very little difference.
90% of the reviews comparing the two cameras favor the K850i, that is what I am going on.

I have an N95 and love it, but it is simply appauling in the dark compared to the K800i and K850i.

I loved my K800i when I had it. Excellent camera.

yade
12-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Am i right in saying that the SE phones do not have a mechanical shutter??

King Mustard
13-12-2007, 05:25 AM
Am i right in saying that the SE phones do not have a mechanical shutter??
The N95 has a messy shutter you have to open yourself. The K850is is internal and automatic. Very nice.

3Shirts
13-12-2007, 08:12 AM
The N95 has a messy shutter you have to open yourself. The K850is is internal and automatic. Very nice.

I don't think the n95 shutter is 'messy', quite the opposite, I like that I can whip the phone out of my pocket and without unlocking the keypad or anything can just open the shutter and it goes straight into the camera app, ready to shoot. Afterwards I can close it and put it away without doing anything else.
Lovely

sturgeon
13-12-2007, 08:17 AM
I don't think the n95 shutter is 'messy', quite the opposite, I like that I can whip the phone out of my pocket and without unlocking the keypad or anything can just open the shutter and it goes straight into the camera app, ready to shoot. Afterwards I can close it and put it away without doing anything else.
Lovely

True ! and a very good point.

Also applies to Video of course.

s.

King Mustard
13-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Lovely
That is a good point I guess.

Super Chimp
18-12-2007, 10:20 AM

All the tests I have seen show the K850 to have the weakest camera of the current 5MP cameraphones, the recent GSMArena blind test placed the N95 8Gb at the top & the K850 somewhere near the bottom. When it was tested against the new Samsung G800 again the K850 generally lost out in all the various tests to the G800.

King Mustard
18-12-2007, 10:23 AM
All the tests I have seen show the K850 to have the weakest camera of the current 5MP cameraphones, the recent GSMArena blind test placed the N95 8Gb at the top & the K850 somewhere near the bottom. When it was tested against the new Samsung G800 again the K850 generally lost out in all the various tests to the G800.
Evidence? Just for my own knowledge :)

Super Chimp
18-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Evidence? Just for my own knowledge :)

Here (http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_g800-review-197.php) & here. (http://www.gsmarena.com/5_megapixel_faceoff-review-191.php) On the second link you can actually see the K850 placed last out of the four tested.

King Mustard
18-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Here (http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_g800-review-197.php) & here. (http://www.gsmarena.com/5_megapixel_faceoff-review-191.php) On the second link you can actually see the K850 placed last out of the four tested.
Ah yeh, fair enough :)

Shame there are no low-light or night-time tests.

Super Chimp
18-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Ah yeh, fair enough :)

Shame there are no low-light or night-time tests.

Sorry I forgot to post this (http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n82-review-195.php) as well, this includes a low light test showing just how much more powerful the flash on the N82 is compared to the K850.

King Mustard
18-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Sorry I forgot to post this (http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n82-review-195.php) as well, this includes a low light test showing just how much more powerful the flash on the N82 is compared to the K850.
Excellent news for Nokia, then :)