View Full Version : user agent of S60

yat
07-12-2007, 02:52 PM
everyone, I have got a problem in my phone, but it may end-up help us to solve the question of user agent.

recently, i have found the user-agent of my 6120c become the following according to useragentstring.com,

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) VIDTX
a check on http://www.hybrid6.com/webgeek/tools/what-is-my-user-agent/ also got the same result

I have no idea why it become that.

i first come across the issue is the day when http://symbian-applications.blogspot.com post about there is a new version of Google Map 2.0.5 for mobile, when i pointed to www.google.com/gmm on my 6120c, i got the full HTML page which i usually got on PC, rather than download link of Google Map. i thought that maybe a problem with google server and it should be fix in a few day, so i didn't aware. Yesterday, when 2.0.7 came out, I found that i still got that full HTML page, i started suspecting there is some problem on my phone. Then after some checking, i found my 6120c no longer tell it is a nokia, i got the full version of google, telling me how to use google mobile, when point to mobile.google.com, i can access the e-banking site of my bank which normally block mobile device.

i figure out what has happened these days
29/11, i installed Google Map 2.0.3 successfully in morning, so user agent must be normal at that time
29/11, in afternoon, i installed new version of PC Suit 6.85
30/11-2/12, i am out of town, roaming, no browser, no pc sync
3/12, came back from roaming, found there is Google Map 2.0.5, first encounter of the problem.
6/12, Google Map 2.0.7 available, same problem again
7/12, I found out the user agent had been changed

other that all these things, i only make some phone call, browsing and sync with PC everyday, no software had been installed on the phone during the period.

You may not believe it, but i am not new to S60, i used SX1 and 6680 before. i think the webmaster of AAS can prove what i have said, if he log user agents. I access mobile version of AAS everyday when commuting, he should have record of such a unique user agent, since i never heard of "VIDTX" text in user agent field. He may even be able to tell when it first appear more accruately.

victaminC
17-07-2008, 05:06 PM
This is because you are using the Internet on Mobile service from SmarTone-Vodafone in Hong Kong, their system changes your user agent string to mimic a PC browser so that websites do not show a crippled version of their site.

victaminC
17-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Ouch I misread the date of the original post, thought it was year 2008, stupid me...

Ignore this thread please...