View Full Version : Why Is The GPS So Slow

tenlientl
03-12-2007, 11:13 PM
I owned a N95-1, sold it for an N95-3 coz Fido doesn't work with the -1.

Now my concern is the GPS. Why is it so slow? I've had 4 bars with 10+ yet it still won't find my correct position. I purchased the Nokia's Maps, which I regret coz it seem to suck... I'm glad I didn't buy the Vocie Navigation. Is it the N95-3 or is it the GPS software of Nokia that sucks?

yade
03-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Firstly is Assisted GPS on?
With Assisted GPS lock time will be no more than 1 minute, without it well it could be anyones guess.
Lock time with A-GPS for me is sub 10s most of the time and if I am travelling maybe 70MPH in a car it will be no more than 30s.
Just a personal opinion but Nokia Maps(smart2go) is a little cumbersome when in action.
I like Navicore most which supports the internal GPS but Route66 is pretty good too.

Hope this helps

Mike

tenlientl
04-12-2007, 02:16 AM
I thought A-GPS cost money.

dchky
04-12-2007, 04:18 AM
A-GPS will only cost you whatever the phone company charges for a few kilobytes of data each time you use it.

I don't personally find the N95 any slower than a whole bunch of hand held GPS's from Magellen or Garmin. The reason it is slow is because it wants to get the ephemeris information just about every single time the phone is restarted, or the GPS hasn't been used for more than a few hours - ok minutes :-) This stuff comes in at a pretty low data rate so it takes a while to gather. Can take even longer in places with poor reception.

L11
04-12-2007, 07:12 AM
My old n95 took ages (2 minutes) to find a signal, even with a-gps.. I didn't care because I never used it anyway.. I sent it for repair on a completely unrelated fault and when it came back i tested the GPS.. Now it takes a maximum of 10 seconds to lock onto a satellite.. So it could've been that my other one was jus faulty

bartmanekul
04-12-2007, 09:11 AM
There seems to be such variations with GPS on N95's I wonder if the antenna is loose or some such.

yade
04-12-2007, 10:40 AM
I think that the GPS performance would be pretty consistant across devices, it is more down to how they are used.

A-GPS, people moan about it costing in data but it is literally 1-2k

If you put 5 N95's down next to eachother with A-GPS enabled, sliders open and away from any obstruction I would imagine that the performance would be pretty much the same!!

Talking of GPS, will the receiver be in the same place on the N82, i.e. bottom of the phone.

dez_borders
05-12-2007, 08:02 PM

Now my concern is the GPS. Why is it so slow? I've had 4 bars with 10+ yet it still won't find my correct position. I purchased the Nokia's Maps, which I regret coz it seem to suck... I'm glad I didn't buy the Vocie Navigation. Is it the N95-3 or is it the GPS software of Nokia that sucks?

If your N95 is new, or has recently had the firmware flashed, then the very first GPS lock can take 20 - 30 minutes. After that, it's usually 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

Load a GPS enabled app, then extend the keyboard and put the N95 somewhere with a clear view of the sky, and don't move it for 30 minutes.

Peter321
06-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Make sure that A-GPS is enabled, AND that you have set an access point to use as well as the correct server address for the A-GPS data.

A friend of mine who owns a 6110 complained about slow GPS fix, and I checked his settings.

Everything was enabled, but the server address was some long weird URL.

We changed it to: supl.nokia.com

Now he gets a fix in 5-10 seconds !!! (just like me on my N95-1).

The data usage is about 6KB each time, which is nothing unless your dataplan has a minimum charge for each time you use it.

andykn
06-12-2007, 11:10 AM
I purchased the Nokia's Maps, which I regret coz it seem to suck... I'm glad I didn't buy the Vocie Navigation. Is it the N95-3 or is it the GPS software of Nokia that sucks?

How did you buy Nokai Maps and not Voice navigation? Maps is free, the only thign you pay for is the Voice Navigation.

Like other have said, your first lock will take a while. I think it's important to leave the phone in a stable position, not in your hand.

cmlewan
08-12-2007, 01:52 PM
I think that the GPS performance would be pretty consistant across devices, it is more down to how they are used.

This is my impression too after having reading about the issue quite a lot since I got the N95 in April.

iball
08-12-2007, 02:33 PM
I have no problems with my N95 and Garmin Mobile XT. It locks on anywhere in about a minute.

nudda
08-12-2007, 05:20 PM
i find that it really depends on how far you are from last usage, where you have placed your gps (in covered or uncovered location).

RogerPodacter
09-12-2007, 05:32 AM
i just did a cold boot of the gps, inside my room in a house, and it took about 10 seconds with a-gps on. its saying found 7 satellites right now and i'm about 5 feet from a window. i read many complaints about gps lock time on the n95 but honestly i think they are bad units, or mine is better somehow? cause its always a 10 second flat lock, literally.

rottie
09-12-2007, 09:14 AM
i just did a cold boot of the gps, inside my room in a house, and it took about 10 seconds with a-gps on. its saying found 7 satellites right now and i'm about 5 feet from a window. i read many complaints about gps lock time on the n95 but honestly i think they are bad units, or mine is better somehow? cause its always a 10 second flat lock, literally.
Same here...

sturgeon
09-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Same here...

Same here

s.

Fats
10-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Gonna echo Peter's post about changing the server to supl.nokia.com. I too had a silly long server url and was getting long fix times. Changing the server really seems to have cut fix times down to 15 seconds or so, even indoors.

pakolainen
31-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Where do you change the server address??
tanks

RogerPodacter
31-03-2008, 09:13 PM
since i've upgrade to the n95 8GB, my GPS lock times went from 15 seconds down to about 5 seconds, literally! this thing is so fast now with the gps...

jstockda
01-04-2008, 12:49 AM
I have no problems with my N95 and Garmin Mobile XT. It locks on anywhere in about a minute.

Same here. I have a SIM that I use for work in my phone so I have no data download ability. Even without assisted GPS I've never had to wait more than 2 minutes to get a signal.
Usually 30 seconds maximum with Garmin XT

ccraig
01-04-2008, 01:05 AM

Same here...

Same here i always get a fix within 30 sec using various GPS Apps Nokia Maps usually takes longer than others but still only 30sec which is good still

zxon
01-04-2008, 03:21 PM
When you guys say "My GPS lock takes 5/15/30 seconds", have you paid for the full navigation service from Nokia? I haven't and my GPS lock is 90 seconds at best.

RogerPodacter
01-04-2008, 04:40 PM
When you guys say "My GPS lock takes 5/15/30 seconds", have you paid for the full navigation service from Nokia? I haven't and my GPS lock is 90 seconds at best.

no. my fast lock happens with google maps, garmin, nokia maps, it doesnt matter. even if i just go to the positioning app, it locks on in 10 seconds. or if i turn on my camera with location tagger, it gets a lock in 10 seconds flat. its the AGPS that helps.

ccraig
01-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Guys it's really hard to compare with each other b/c your surroundings ,the weather ,being indoors, in country side ,industrial est near by, all have effect.
if you was all in the same place they would all connect at near identical speeds i just tried connecting my N95 & N95 8GB at the same time as my bro's 8GB, there was only a few seconds difference between all 3 .so i dont think it is down to the phone but more about where people are in the world and how often you use it

zxon
01-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Guys it's really hard to compare with each other b/c your surroundings ,the weather ,being indoors, in country side ,industrial est near by, all have effect.
You're probably right, it's kinda hard to properly compare. I'd timed mine earlier by having it on the windowsill fully open, mostly pointing towards the window. It was a glorious day earlier with no clouds and, even with a full sky available, it took 90 seconds to lock on. Here's the thing though... If you have a clear view of the sky, does it matter where you are? The GPS should lock on just as quickly in Middlesbrough as it does in Birmingham, Manchester, Shrewsbury, Essex, London or Leeds... or anywhere you might be with a clear view of the sky.

Mine and my brothers' N95 GPS's were both tried at the same time once in Leeds but his locked on in about 10-15 seconds or so, and mine took over 2 minutes. Thing is, he paid a subscription for Nokia's navigation whereas I haven't. I know for sure that the GPS lock is faster in Nokia maps if you've paid for full navigation.

RogerPodacter
01-04-2008, 08:21 PM
You're probably right, it's kinda hard to properly compare. I'd timed mine earlier by having it on the windowsill fully open, mostly pointing towards the window. It was a glorious day earlier with no clouds and, even with a full sky available, it took 90 seconds to lock on. Here's the thing though... If you have a clear view of the sky, does it matter where you are? The GPS should lock on just as quickly in Middlesbrough as it does in Birmingham, Manchester, Shrewsbury, Essex, London or Leeds... or anywhere you might be with a clear view of the sky.

Mine and my brothers' N95 GPS's were both tried at the same time once in Leeds but his locked on in about 10-15 seconds or so, and mine took over 2 minutes. Thing is, he paid a subscription for Nokia's navigation whereas I haven't. I know for sure that the GPS lock is faster in Nokia maps if you've paid for full navigation.

while it may seem that way to you because he happened to have a nokia maps subscription, that isnt what gives the fast lock. the fast lock comes from having assisted GPS enabled on your phone. its uses a small amount of data. i use it and that's why my locks come in 10 seconds. i have no nokia maps.

zxon
01-04-2008, 10:16 PM
while it may seem that way to you because he happened to have a nokia maps subscription, that isnt what gives the fast lock. the fast lock comes from having assisted GPS enabled on your phone. its uses a small amount of data. i use it and that's why my locks come in 10 seconds. i have no nokia maps.

I've already got AGPS enabled. Could it be anything else?

RogerPodacter
02-04-2008, 03:17 AM

hmmm that's strange then, i dont know. how many satellites does google maps show when you connect with that app?

justnew
02-04-2008, 03:52 AM

Question out of the topic, why you switched to N95-3 , just to use the 3G from Fido ?, if yes you think it worth the switch ? I still see N95-1 better than N95-3

bartmanekul
02-04-2008, 08:21 AM

Yes. On a number of N95's, the antenna has been found to be touching the casing inside, which leads to poor/no GPS reception. The bad side of this is that you have to take it apart to adjust it.

Its not definate that this is the problem, but a number of people have cleaned and repositioned the GPS antenna and recieved a much better lock time consistantly.

I'll try to find the pictures if you want.

Bennett
02-04-2008, 11:37 AM
I'll try to find the pictures if you want.

would be nice :)

bartmanekul
02-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Found the post where the picture is, but its not loading :rolleyes:

However, heres the text, from N95 users:

but for future reference I managed to fix my problems (one of the pictures is from somewhere on this site, but helps explain greatly). I found one of my little antenna pins was just touching the side of the case (you can just make it out in the picture - it's the little gold dot). All I did was push it towards the innards of the phone with an old needle, and boom, all my GPS problems were fixed. No special tools were needed (other than a needle and credit card to get the case off).

zxon
02-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Yeah probably a picture would be best. Thanks for fishing it out :)

bartmanekul
02-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Got it, must have been problems with the site or my connection.

Please note this is taken from N95 users, so credit there rather than me.

Also note that opening the case may well invalidate the warranty, and obviously give you the chance to damage some senstive stuff inside the phone. I suggest reading up on guides first.

lanwarrior
23-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Make sure that A-GPS is enabled, AND that you have set an access point to use as well as the correct server address for the A-GPS data.

A friend of mine who owns a 6110 complained about slow GPS fix, and I checked his settings.

Everything was enabled, but the server address was some long weird URL.

We changed it to: supl.nokia.com

Now he gets a fix in 5-10 seconds !!! (just like me on my N95-1).

The data usage is about 6KB each time, which is nothing unless your dataplan has a minimum charge for each time you use it.

Are you saying that on my N95-3, I must enabled both Assistd GPS and Integrated GPS?

If I do this, my Garmin Mobile XT, Nokia Maps, and Google Maps goes haywire. Probably it doesn't know which one to use...

RogerPodacter
24-05-2008, 12:06 AM
i have both enabled on mine, both my -3 and -4.

emerher
24-05-2008, 03:17 PM
A-GPS will only cost you whatever the phone company charges for a few kilobytes of data each time you use it.

I don't personally find the N95 any slower than a whole bunch of hand held GPS's from Magellen or Garmin. The reason it is slow is because it wants to get the ephemeris information just about every single time the phone is restarted, or the GPS hasn't been used for more than a few hours - ok minutes :-) This stuff comes in at a pretty low data rate so it takes a while to gather. Can take even longer in places with poor reception.

there's one thing I don't get: why are most current GPS devices (not only the n95) so stupid that they don't save the ephemeris information for a week or so?? I mean satellites don't fly faster than the earth rotates so the satellites you get a lock from are the same (as long as you don't travel 600 miles), have the same frequencies and nearly the same positions. Why on earth does e.g. the N95 download THE SAME ephemeris information if I switch on GPS after two or three hours? I usually don't travel with 300 miles an hour... there should be at least a setting so the businessmen among us who travel by plane every day can have a fast GPS lock when they have a meeting in Washington. In my 6 (!) year old BMW 530d I get a GPS lock almost immediately (around 5 seconds) and without AGPS (or network based support) at all!

lanwarrior
24-05-2008, 06:39 PM
there's one thing I don't get: why are most current GPS devices (not only the n95) so stupid that they don't save the ephemeris information for a week or so?? I mean satellites don't fly faster than the earth rotates so the satellites you get a lock from are the same (as long as you don't travel 600 miles), have the same frequencies and nearly the same positions. Why on earth does e.g. the N95 download THE SAME ephemeris information if I switch on GPS after two or three hours? I usually don't travel with 300 miles an hour... there should be at least a setting so the businessmen among us who travel by plane every day can have a fast GPS lock when they have a meeting in Washington. In my 6 (!) year old BMW 530d I get a GPS lock almost immediately (around 5 seconds) and without AGPS (or network based support) at all!

If I am not wrong, most newer GPS "memorize" their last location. In a new location, it'll do "Cold Start" but still can lock pretty quickly. This is what my TomTom GPS and Sprint Mogul (with AGPS) do. BUT, the integrated GPS and AGPS function in the N95 are just really bad at picking up satellite. I don't know if its defective GPS or just bad implementation.

I travel a lot, even out of States and the longest my Sprint Mogul get a lock is 45 seconds.

Should I send my N95 for "repair"?